Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone hear from 'Millionaire'?  (Read 9497 times)

Steve McClellan

Anyone hear from 'Millionaire'?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2004, 06:46:55 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Jul 29 2004, 09:29 AM\']You pretty much summed it up.  I am not photogenic, articulate, nor entertaining.[/quote]
Neither am I, and I got on! :)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the #1 thing to do before you audition is to fill out that form with the most interesting things about yourself that can be said on TV, in the most interesting way possible.

Yes folks, with enough spinning, even *you* can be made to look interesting! :)

takinover

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2004, 07:04:33 PM »
I am just annoyed because I sent in my request so quickly, plus I am from Indiana, and I know they want more people who are not from the NYC area.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know this?

BrentW

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2004, 07:34:24 PM »
[quote name=\'takinover\' date=\'Jul 29 2004, 06:04 PM\']
I am just annoyed because I sent in my request so quickly, plus I am from Indiana, and I know they want more people who are not from the NYC area.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know this? [/quote]
 Well, I suppose I should say I ASSUME this.  I think it's a safe assumption to think they want more than contestant after contestant who has a name like "Joe Blow, New York, New York".  I'm not dissing on the NYC people..I'd like to be ONE.  :)  But I have heard various producers and hosts say that they like to have a cross section of America, that includes race, sex, orientation, income and yes, locale.

Somebody back me up on this.  :)

Anyhow, can I ask something of goongas?  Did you show up just whenever at the ABC building, or did you register online and then, even though you didn't receive anything, show up at that time.   I registered for Aug 18, but if I can show up whenever, I'll show up whenever.  :)  In other words, when you show up, do they check your name against a list of people who are supposed to be there, or do they just say "mozy on in, folks."  :)

Brent

takinover

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2004, 07:44:41 PM »
BTW, Good luck with your audition :-)

OK, just wondering.  I know, I like NYC (one of my favorite places), but that does not mean I want to see contestant after contestant from there (or from any one place for that matter).

FYI, I took the test and passed 2 years ago and I received the post card saying I was in the pool, but I never got called.  I live in Seattle, but I have NYC area roots.  If I had known they were gonna emphasize NYC I would have made more of my roots, but I was assuming myself that they would want geographic diversity so I did not mention it.

I think I am going to do an audience audition later this fall.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 07:46:11 PM by takinover »

starcade

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2004, 10:17:04 PM »
I didn't get any info either -- and now it sounds like I might not be able to make the trip and may have to make other vacation plans next month.

I guess I still could think of their "Walk In and Win" promotion, but I get the feeling they may even be screening on the basis of provided information (profession, etc.).

goongas

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2004, 10:45:26 PM »
I just walked in without signing up for that particular day.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2004, 11:24:33 PM »
[quote name=\'takinover\' date=\'Jul 29 2004, 04:44 PM\'] I received the post card saying I was in the pool, but I never got called. ... I think I am going to do an audience audition later this fall. [/quote]
 I think you aren't. Once you're in the pool, you're in there for good and can't audition again. (Unless it was the nighttime show whose test you passed.)

BrentW

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2004, 05:38:01 AM »
Hey there:

I just thought I'd give everyone an update.  My partner is in NYC this week, and I made him go to the Millionaire auditions.  He is the smartest person I personally know, and he is very personable, so I figured he would have a great shot of getting on.  

He went to the Monday audition, from 5-8PM, although it didn't take that long.  Indeed, as many of you said, even though he hadn't signed up on the Internet for that day, and even though he hadn't gotten a pakcet in the mail for the day he DID sign up for, they didn't seem to care.  He got in line at 4:15, and they came thru and asked what his name was, checked for it on a list.  It wasn't on there so they just added it.  They also handed him a packet to fill out; some people in line had received theirs in the snail mail, other got it via email, but the majority didn't have it.  So they handed everyone a packet who didn't have one.  

He said there were about 300 people there, give or take.  At 5PM, they were led into the building, into what looked to be a school cafeteria, with the round tables and chairs and what-not.  Passed out a test (everyone had the same test), and they said for those who passed, they would be asked to stay around and interview.  You have 10 minutes for the 30 question test.  My partner said it was harder than he thought it would be..lots of arcane pop culture stuff, but he felt he did reasonably well.   20 people passed the test, and the LAST number (they give you a number) they called to say "you passed" was him.  He said he let out a big "whoo!" and went up there.  

He said he had a great interview.  He talked to the guy for about 12 minutes; he said that next to him, he saw the next interviewer talk to about 3 different people in that same time period.  So this guy intereviewing him spent a good deal of time chatting it up, and my partner said he felt very good about it.  They had good chemistry.   So, he'll get a postcard one way or another in a few weeks.  

A few fun facts: of the 20 people who passed, only 4 were women.  Also, my partner said that there was a guy who was at his table who had passed the test last year, but evidently didn't do well in interview because they said he didn't make it into the pool.  Apparently he was a little bitter about it.  My partner said to me that if he was a producer, HE wouldn't put that guy on TV either.  LOL.  Totally unentertaining-- apparently seemed like he thought he was ENTITLED to be on the show.  What a yutz.  

I take my audition in two weeks.  I'm also going to audition for the Celebrity Scoop thing.  you can apparently do both in the same day.  They do the general audition from 5-6, and the Celeb one from 6:45 to 8.

So in sum, the good news is: you can go whenever, and you'll get to audition. The bad news is: the test is harder than we thought, although many people in the world are not as smart as the people on this board, so I think we all have a good chance.  

I think that's everything...I could post some questions that they had on the test, but I am sure that they will change the test every day...If i think of anything else, I'll post.  :)

Brent
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 05:41:32 AM by BrentW »

pyrawoman

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2004, 03:50:24 PM »
Thank you very much for the great report, Brent. It is very much appreciated. :) I plan on going for an audition and had certain concerns. (That you addressed.)

Specifically, I was feeling a little uneasy about showing up even if I didn't hear from Millionaire, but now I feel that it will be fine. I have signed up several times, and have never heard back from them with the forms to fill out yet.

Good luck at your audition! What exact date are you going to be there? Currently I'm planning on the 16th. Hopefully we'll both end up being in the group of people whose names are called because we've passed the test!

Pyrawoman :)

BrentW

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2004, 05:55:23 PM »
Hey pyrawoman!!!!

Email me at: brentwolgamott@aol.com

I say this because I am getting into town on the 15th (a Sunday), and i am going to audition on the 16th (like you), because on Mondays and Tuesdays you can audition for the regular show and then the Celebrity Scoop show afterwards. I will go back and try as many times as they let me.  I know I can pass the Celeb Scoop one..I hope so, at least.  

We could meet somewhere and go together.  I am going to try for both the general and Celebrity Scoop.  I think Celebrity Scoop is one thing that you could kind of study for.  Read a lot of People magazine, US Weekly, and read E! Online and Variety.  

If you want, email me so we can meet and go together...always more fun to audition when you're not alone.  And it makes no difference that we are friendly to each other...if we pass the test(s), we get interviewed, likely with different people.   (I know at some places, i.e. The Price is Right, if you are with some "people", they will only pick one person from your group; at Millionaire, it doesn't matter)

-Brent

ChuckNet

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2004, 09:31:49 PM »
Well, looks like they're finally getting back on track w/confirmation e-mails...I recieved one earlier this wk for a spot at the 8/9 auditions, if anyone else is also gonna be there. Maybe third time really is a charm...

Chuck Donegan (The Hopeful "Chuckie Baby")

goongas

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2004, 11:02:26 PM »
I am going to audition on 8/9 too.  I didn't get a confirm e-mail, but I don't care.

pyrawoman

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2004, 11:31:23 PM »
Good luck Chuck and goongas!! And Chuck, I do think the third time will be lucky for you. :)

Brent - check your email. :)

Pyrawoman

uncamark

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2004, 11:44:07 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 08:31 PM\']Well, looks like they're finally getting back on track w/confirmation e-mails...I recieved one earlier this wk for a spot at the 8/9 auditions, if anyone else is also gonna be there. Maybe third time really is a charm...[/quote]
Now I can hope that they'll start responding to ticket requests--I put in by their web site for a taping on Sept. 17 (and of course I'll take the test afterwards) last month and haven't heard from them yet.

(And if I wake up early enough to get in the standby line for Regis and Kelly and go see "The Frogs" that night, I can spend a whole day in New York on the Upper West Side.)

takinover

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2004, 09:50:15 PM »
I was going to do an audience audition, but I changed my mind and I signed up for August 17th's audition.   I said what the heck and decided to go in on the 9th without signing up. I had a really bad feeling going in and I was dreading the worst. I was dreading the test and the interview. I felt so bad, I almost postponed it until the 10th, but I said the heck with it and did it anyway.

I was afraid of the test having heard people say that it is harder than in the past. I also question how could that be since most of the people who said that passed.  To all those who said it now I know how. I went through the test once answering those that I was sure of. When I went through it a second time I left 8-9 unanswered and I had absolutely no fricking clue on 3 girly type questions. I made my guesses but I resigned myself to the possibilty that I was going to have to go again the next day or two to retake the written test.

After grading them they called me 1/3 of the way through. I counted 16 people passing out of 99 who took the test. There were 99 test takers because one person sat down with the test takers who was not going to take the test when they moved him, they did not add another person.  I believe that I was the only person under 30 who passed, but that is a naked eye assessment.

I was totally jacked up that I passed and I carried that into the interview. I was so jacked up that I had to keep myself from interrupting the interviewer.  I think I had a good interview, though I was worried on some points.

I received another postcard that said that I was in the pool on Friday and today I got the phone call to tape on September 7.

Now I got lots of preparing to do.