Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blockbusters 7/25  (Read 4388 times)

GS Warehouse

Blockbusters 7/25
« on: July 25, 2004, 10:38:45 AM »
On the ep of Blockbusters that just finished airing as I type this, Bill mentioned during the game that the show is due to air the day before Thanksgiving.  However, according to my calculations, I had the airdate of the show at Nov. 27, 1981--the day after Thanksgiving.  I'm not sure of the reason for the descrepancy, but it could be one of these:

1) The show was taped before NBC knew the July 29, 1981 show would be preempted for Charles and Di's wedding.
2) The post-wedding shows aired as scheduled, meaning the 7/29 show never aired on NBC.
3) There's a hole in fabric of time I don't know about.

Anyone care to set the record straight?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Blockbusters 7/25
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 12:16:07 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jul 25 2004, 09:38 AM\'] 1) The show was taped before NBC knew the July 29, 1981 show would be preempted for Charles and Di's wedding.
 [/quote]
 While I can't officially debunk that thought, my speculation would be that it's not the case.  Some weeks earlier, there was a sequence where Tom Kennedy appeared behind the game board, and I believe that was to promo P+'s new time (taking the death slot from CS).  It seems odd that NBC would tape a show in June or July for an October airing that would have Kennedy making that announcement (and essentially let CS continue to air as a lame duck--if it's not working for you, it's not working for you).

Just my two Lincolns.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

Blockbusters 7/25
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 11:03:23 AM »
Sometimes when they tape a few weeks in advance, they don't figure out the exact air date correctly.

A good example of this occurred on the last "Match Game 77".  Every New Year's show except this one, they changed the sign to the New Year at the END of the show.  But for this one, they actually changed it at the START of the show that aired immediately after New Year's (the actual air date:  Tuesday, January 3, 1978 - it was pre-empted on the Monday for the Rose Parade and Bowl games, since they never hold those on Sundays).

By this time, "Match Game" was more than a month in advance on tapings, so my guess it they didn't figure out the air date until they had already finished taping that particular show.  Adding to the confusion that year:  Dec 31 was a Saturday, so they might have figured on a Dec 30th air date and thought they were OK.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Blockbusters 7/25
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 01:25:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 08:03 AM\'] Sometimes when they tape a few weeks in advance, they don't figure out the exact air date correctly.

A good example of this occurred on the last "Match Game 77".  Every New Year's show except this one, they changed the sign to the New Year at the END of the show.  But for this one, they actually changed it at the START of the show that aired immediately after New Year's (the actual air date:  Tuesday, January 3, 1978 - it was pre-empted on the Monday for the Rose Parade and Bowl games, since they never hold those on Sundays).

By this time, "Match Game" was more than a month in advance on tapings, so my guess it they didn't figure out the air date until they had already finished taping that particular show.  Adding to the confusion that year:  Dec 31 was a Saturday, so they might have figured on a Dec 30th air date and thought they were OK. [/quote]
 They knew the air dates.

Could be that they thought December 30 was premature to change the date.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Blockbusters 7/25
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 01:31:22 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jul 25 2004, 07:38 AM\'] On the ep of Blockbusters that just finished airing as I type this, Bill mentioned during the game that the show is due to air the day before Thanksgiving.  However, according to my calculations, I had the airdate of the show at Nov. 27, 1981--the day after Thanksgiving.  I'm not sure of the reason for the descrepancy, but it could be one of these:

1) The show was taped before NBC knew the July 29, 1981 show would be preempted for Charles and Di's wedding.
2) The post-wedding shows aired as scheduled, meaning the 7/29 show never aired on NBC.
3) There's a hole in fabric of time I don't know about.

Anyone care to set the record straight? [/quote]
 I'll opt for #2 or #3. Your calculations could be off.

The last time I looked at the P+ episode list the dates were all screwed up, so these things do happen.

Bob Zager

Blockbusters 7/25
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 04:54:28 PM »
I think the show's schedule was delayed a day, because of continuous daytime news coverage of the assassination of then-Egyptian President Anwar Sadat, in October, 1981.

I remember the story first breaking during the Today Show, and Good Morning America, at which point it was only confirmed that an attempt was made on Sadat's life, but no word on his condition was immediately known.