Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Banzai - what will I say?  (Read 6051 times)

DrBear

Banzai - what will I say?
« on: July 13, 2003, 09:06:36 PM »
Having heard about but never seen it, it wasn't as frantic as I thought it would be; sort of a cross between Cram and Jackass with a politically incorrect veneer.

This is either going to be a huge summer hit or will finish dead last (or at least, not counting Pax.)

Just don't take it seriously.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

cyberjoek

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2003, 09:39:42 PM »
BET NOW!
Will ratings find a fox series?
BET NOW!

Couldn't resist
-Joe Kavanagh

Peter Sarrett

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 03:14:39 AM »
I absolutely loved it, but was a little ticked at the \"pick a lady\" game.  They cheated.  You can visually tell the red woman apart from the others-- she's got a Princess Leia-like bun on her left (viewer's right) side.  And I watched it multiple times, including slow motion, just to be sure.  I tracked her, and know which of the three she was when they all stopped.  And yet the red underwear turned out to be on a different woman.  There's no doubt about it-- the woman they told us to watch wound up in position X, and then they revealed the woman in position Y to be wearing the red.

There's absolutely no reason for them to cheat on this, so why did they do it?  This kind of dishonesty bugs me, even in a farce like this.

- Peter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 11:34:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Peter Sarrett\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 12:14 AM\'] I absolutely loved it, but was a little ticked at the "pick a lady" game.  They cheated. [/quote]
 She WAS in the middle, wasn't she? I thought she was. You have to understand, they do that same gig at the baseball and hockey games up here (ball under the cap, puck under the helmet, respectively), and I NEVER lose. EVER.

I enjoyed the show thoroughly, too, but I'm also a fan of Iron Chef, so the whole faux-stereotypical Japanese thing busts me up EVERY time. But yer right, you KNOW are frathouses and bars around the country where people are watching and actually dropping money, and they owe it to the viewer to \"keep it honest\" in situations like this. (Especially because NOT doing so didn't add a THING to the skit one way or the other.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2003, 11:49:13 AM »
But yer right, you KNOW are frathouses and bars around the country where people are watching and actually dropping money
Oh, sweet God, I hope not.  Anybody who takes this any more seriously than the animated \"races\" on a Jumbotron between innings really is clueless and deserves whatever he gets.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 12:21:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 08:49 AM\'] Oh, sweet God, I hope not.  Anybody who takes this any more seriously than the animated "races" on a Jumbotron between innings really is clueless and deserves whatever he gets. [/quote]
 People bet on MUCH less serious things. The average American is an idiot. While I don't advocate gambling scams (though I DO advocate parting a sucker from his money), a good way to make a few bucks would be to call a buddy on the East Coast, have him email you the results of the show, and then go out drinking.*

* I advise this method only if you have a rectum that can support a sideways-mounted pool cue if you get found out. :)

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 12:52:20 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 10:34 AM\']
She WAS in the middle, wasn't she? I thought she was. You have to understand, they do that same gig at the baseball and hockey games up here (ball under the cap, puck under the helmet, respectively), and I NEVER lose. EVER.

[/quote]
Far left, (as opposed to near left :-P) IIRC. If I'm wrong then I'll be having lunch with a rappin' dragon.

At first, the way they \"shuffled\" so slowly, I thought it was just a gag, i.e. \"There's no way you WON'T be able to keep up.\" Guess I was wrong. Anyhow, I enjoyed the show myself, and don't understand the negativity it's received online (not here but rec.arts.tv). Of course, I'm trying to get into comedy, and find this silliness intriguing. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

drmusic_99

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 09:18:01 PM »
BET NOW! BET NOW!

How many pieces of stock music did you recognize?

BET NOW! BET NOW!

Hiroland

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 11:00:53 PM »
I must've had a keener eye, I picked the right one, and I found the show amusing in some ways...I guess I may watch it a few more times!

Neumms

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2003, 01:09:12 AM »
I caught part of \"Banzai\" in Australia when they used a few segments to fill out a half hour after a rugby match ran long, and I thought it a hoot.

But let me raise the question. . . is it a game show? Nobody wins or loses, at least on camera and not in the frathouse.

DrBear

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2003, 01:11:34 AM »
Is it
A. A game show!
B. A comedy show!
C. An affront to racial harmony! PLACE BETS!

Seriously, it's been mentioned on the old boards/newsgroup before, so why not now that it's actually here? As for whether it's a game, well, I'd put it on the list right ahead of \"Whose Line?\"
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Neumms

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2003, 01:17:14 AM »
Oh, I like the show, so I'm glad you brought it up. I'm just raising the esoteric verbiage question.

Even on \"Whose Line\" Drew names someone the winner, so it seems to count as a game. \"Trading Spaces\" on the other hand may be audience participation, but it's not a game.

kelvint

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2003, 05:06:45 AM »
[quote name=\'drmusic_99\' date=\'Jul 15 2003, 09:18 PM\'] BET NOW! BET NOW!

How many pieces of stock music did you recognize?

BET NOW! BET NOW! [/quote]
 Two of the pieces were actually used as the themes for a couple of UK shows.  One was \"Approaching Menace\" used on \"Mastermind\" and the other one was \"The Awakening\" heard on \"News at Ten\" (in a different arrangement).

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2003, 08:11:59 AM »
Does REO Speedwagon count as stock music? :)

(The episode I have on tape from the UK first season digs up David Soul's \"Don't Give Up On Us\". Yikes!)
@lambertman

clemon79

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2003, 12:34:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jul 15 2003, 10:17 PM\'] Even on "Whose Line" Drew names someone the winner, so it seems to count as a game. [/quote]
 Based solely on whim, though, and even HE says several times throughout each show that \"it's just a gimmick to tie the show together\".

Banzai is a fine parody of Japanese television, but the more I think about it, the more I agree with Matt, it shouldn't be taken an ounce more seriously than that.