Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best & Worst #6  (Read 3869 times)

Winkfan

Best & Worst #6
« on: July 26, 2004, 02:21:20 PM »
All right then, NOT COUNTING 'REMAKES' AND/OR 'REVIVALS,' what were the BEST and WORST ORIGINAL game show concepts from the 1990s?

BEST: Debt, Shopping Spree, GUTS (HONORABLE MENTION: Who Wants to Be A Millionaire)

WORST: All 'dating shows.'

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Patti Deutsch of the Big Board!'
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

adamjk

Best & Worst #6
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 03:11:16 PM »
Strip Poker was pretty bad. As for the best shows, The original version of Caeser's Challenge had potential, host not withstanding. Once they changed the bonus round, it was doomed though.

HairMetalLives

Best & Worst #6
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 03:37:16 PM »
This sure is a tough one, Tam. Everything in the 90s sucked! (and I'm not talking about just game shows either)

BEST: "That's My Dog!"; "Monopoly" (even though the host was lackluster)

WORST: "You're On!" (possibly the worst game show EVER); "Nick Arcade"; "Baby Races"; "Family Challenge"
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 04:31:47 PM by HairMetalLives »

BrandonFG

Best & Worst #6
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 03:52:55 PM »
BEST: Shopping Spree, Debt (first season was much better), Win Ben Stein's Money, Challengers

WORST: Small Talk, Free-4-All
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

brianhenke

Best & Worst #6
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 05:14:11 PM »
WORST: "Nick Arcade"

Hey, I liked Nick Arcade!

Anyway the best/worst of the 90s were:

Best: WBSM, WWTBAM

Worst: Strip Poker

Brian

100 plus 100 equals 600?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Best & Worst #6
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 05:34:35 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\']Hey, I liked Nick Arcade![/quote]
Hey, I didn't!

The best (of very mediocre stuff):Shopping Spree, The Challengers
The worst: Any FAM Interactive Game
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 05:34:45 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

HairMetalLives

Best & Worst #6
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 06:58:52 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 12:52 PM\'] WORST: Small Talk [/quote]
 Hey, I liked "Small Talk!" And I know I'm in the minority in this case.

I ALMOST posted something like that a while ago, but didn't. But now that were critiquing each other's choices, I don't feel so bad doint that.

My theory on "Nick Arcade" is that they tried to cram WAY to much into a half hour. They almost NEVER reached the Goal, and sometimes it was due to idiot contestants who lead Mikey astray. It could have worked, but they way they did it sent it right down the toilet. And I'm not even gonna get started on Phil Moore!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Best & Worst #6
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 07:41:12 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 05:58 PM\'] My theory on "Nick Arcade" is that they tried to cram WAY to much into a half hour. They almost NEVER reached the Goal, and sometimes it was due to idiot contestants who lead Mikey astray. [/quote]
 Maybe its idiotic posters who don't realize that some people might play strategy. IMO, reaching the goal really provided nothing.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

HairMetalLives

Best & Worst #6
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 07:52:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 04:41 PM\'] Maybe its idiotic posters who don't realize that some people might play strategy. IMO, reaching the goal really provided nothing. [/quote]
 And suddenly your opinion is the supreme law of the land? I'm dying to know how that works. I also REALLY love the fact that you're calling me an idiot for saying one, in your opinion, stupid comment.

My opinion of the Goal (which I'm not gonna pass of as the supremem law of the land):
Is the Goal worth a whole helluva lot? No. But it's better than hitting the enemy. You know where the goal is, but you don't know where the enemy is. If a team is WAY behind, then absolutely don't go for the goal. I've seen countless teams that are way in the LEAD lead Mikey away from the goal. If I was ahead by a big margin, I'd want the game to be over. That's just me, though.

Speedy G

Best & Worst #6
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 08:21:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 06:41 PM\'][quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 05:58 PM\'] My theory on "Nick Arcade" is that they tried to cram WAY to much into a half hour. They almost NEVER reached the Goal, and sometimes it was due to idiot contestants who lead Mikey astray. [/quote]
Maybe its idiotic posters who don't realize that some people might play strategy. IMO, reaching the goal really provided nothing.[/quote]
Actually, IIRC, hitting the goal meant the best the other team could hope for was you missing the question, giving them half the goal's value.  An enemy was almost always on 2 out of the three obvious shortest paths, though, so there'd be little guarantee of getting there even if you assume you nailed everything along the way.

Not completely useless, but happened next to never.

(I believe that the hitting the goal rules were: A) Opposing team picks a category out of three? four? B) Goal-hitting team gets question, brief think music, and the chance to answer.  50/100 if right, 25/50 to other team if wrong.  So sue me if I'm wrong.)
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

dzinkin

Best & Worst #6
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 08:28:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 02:21 PM\'] WORST: All 'dating shows.' [/quote]
 Could you even say that the dating shows from the 1990s were "original"?  For me they all ran together (and they all sucked rocks), but maybe a connoisseur of the genre can explain why any of them was truly original.

To answer the question...

BEST: Win Ben Stein's Money

WORST: Ruckus

cac8383

Best & Worst #6
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 08:45:31 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 03:14 PM\'] Hey, I liked Nick Arcade!

[/quote]
 Well, I didn't. ROFL  

Best: The Challengers, Debt, Shopping Spree

Worst: the god awful USA originals Free 4 All & Quicksilver

Jimmy Owen

Best & Worst #6
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 08:55:01 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 07:28 PM\'] [quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 02:21 PM\'] WORST: All 'dating shows.' [/quote]
Could you even say that the dating shows from the 1990s were "original"?  For me they all ran together (and they all sucked rocks), but maybe a connoisseur of the genre can explain why any of them was truly original.

To answer the question...

BEST: Win Ben Stein's Money

WORST: Ruckus [/quote]
 I would say "A Perfect Score" pioneered the concept of taping one show over a period of weeks.  As you recall, the first twenty minutes of the show took place on one day and then after a commercial break, all of a sudden, it was two weeks later.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

Best & Worst #6
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 02:20:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 01:21 PM\'] WORST: All 'dating shows.'
 [/quote]
 Wait...I forgot one:

Bzzz! I liked that one. Other than that, yeah, you've pretty much on the mark.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

inturnaround

Best & Worst #6
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 02:31:09 AM »
Best: WWTBAM, WBSM
Worst: Video Power
Joe Coughlin     
Human