Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's TCA Announcements...  (Read 5536 times)

CaseyAbell

GSN's TCA Announcements...
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2004, 09:33:13 AM »
When is the DED marathon?
It's only three eps, not a huge run. The time is 3:00-6:30 PM Saturday, August 7:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040723/laf010_1.html

Already saw the reality "star" episode. Won't say who won, but I wasn't overjoyed with it.

What about black & white overnight? Will we still see those infomercials? Are they getting rid of LMaD yet? I heard their contract to air that show will be expiring in the near future, can anyone confirm that?
Can't know for sure, of course, but I doubt that the dual feed itself will have much influence on programming. Just means that GSN won't have to do the Left Coast repeat of prime time every night. For what it's worth LMAD is still on the Adlink schedules as far as they go, through the week of August 30. Never watch the show myself, so it's not a big issue for me.

EDIT: On the GSN board thericker says that GSN will start rearranging things for the new feed the week of September 6.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 01:14:37 PM by CaseyAbell »

AH3RD

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2004, 09:48:42 AM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 05:51 PM\'] Here are the press release links with a short description before it...

First, they are renewing Extreme Dodgeball for a 2nd season..
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040723/laf012_1.html

They are also renewing Celebrity Blackjack...
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040723/laf009_1.html

They announced Stone/Stanley Productions (soon to be just be Stone Productions) is going to be producing "The American Dream Derby" at Santa Anita Park...
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040723/laf017_1.html

Finally, they are doing an amateur 9-ball tournament called "The Ultimate Pool Challenge", which I think has a unique format:
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040723/laf013_1.html [/quote]
 Gimme strength...

GSN has firmly manifested itself as the New Coke of the digital cable TV generation.
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

CaseyAbell

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2004, 01:10:02 PM »
New Coke flopped. From the numbers that GSN gave for Blackjack and Dodgeball, they hardly seem to be flopping, as much as some might hope.

In fact, the TCA barrage of press releases tells me that the network recognizes what it does best: game shows and closely related competition shows. The three current shows talked up in the releases are Blackjack, Dog Eat Dog and Dodgeball. The first two are traditional studio game shows and the third is a sport/stunt show not far away from the genre.

The two new shows mentioned - pool and horseracing - are again competition shows with lots of gameplay involved. The horseracing show sounds like it might edge further towards "reality crap," to use a favorite phrase from the GSN boards. But competition and gameplay look like they will be prominently featured in both series.

Meanwhile, shows that tend further away from the game show genre towards reality - Fake-a-Date, Vegas Weddings, KvS, Mole (regrettably) - are going or gone.

Maybe the honchos recognize that when people tune into a "network for games," they want to see...games, not Real World. "Games" include more than traditional studio game shows, but GSN might find the most success by sticking as closely as possible to competitive gameplay.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 01:11:10 PM by CaseyAbell »

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2004, 01:30:07 PM »
I have to admit, GSN is starting to improve in my book.

Blackjack's a great show. Lots of fun to watch.

Even (shudder) Dodgeball is starting to grow on me a little--I just hope they lose Jerri Manthey for season 2...she isn't really needed there.

The pool show looks like it might be interesting. Horseracing really isn't my bag, so I don't have very high hopes for that one.

All GSN needs to do, IMO, is stick to producing high caliber "new" shows like Blackjack, bring back some original game shows like Russian Roulette and Lingo in first run, and mix up the classics slate a little more than they do.

goongas

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2004, 01:42:02 PM »
The problem with the 9 ball format I see is if there is only one game, the player not breaking may not even get to play in the match, as top pros typically can sink all the balls without giving up control (if the table does not have a lot of trouble on it).  Hopefully they will be able to attract the top talent.

weaklink75

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2004, 08:30:02 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 12:42 PM\'] The problem with the 9 ball format I see is if there is only one game, the player not breaking may not even get to play in the match, as top pros typically can sink all the balls without giving up control (if the table does not have a lot of trouble on it).  Hopefully they will be able to attract the top talent. [/quote]
 But remember, this isn't pro players like the ESPN shows, this is going to be amateurs (admittedly skilled ones). The format is intriguing because of the betting aspect...does a person try to knock out a player immediately, knowing if he loses he's gone, or slowly bleed money from people he knows he can beat, giving himself more of a cushion against better players, and possibly having the weaker players  the only ones left?