Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question about the theme song for "Just Men"  (Read 2492 times)

1978-Jeopardy

Question about the theme song for "Just Men"
« on: July 17, 2004, 01:37:02 PM »
Remember in 1982, NBC had that promo "We're NBC, the network that swept the emmys...We're NBC, just watch us now"? I was watching an episode of "Just Men" (out of curiousity), and although the audio is hard to make out, the theme from Just Men and the 1982 NBC promo have a striking similarity. Other then being on the same network, was there any correlation?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 01:37:29 PM by 1978-Jeopardy »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 04:50:37 PM »
Was it the end theme?  Around that era, NBC used to replace all the closing themes with their promo campaign theme with voice over.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

1978-Jeopardy

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 05:37:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure it wasn't a voice over, since the theme began before the NBC chimes.
Just to clarify, I know that the music is different, I'd like to know, mainly, if the theme was composed by the same person or not, or any other correlation.
Thanks for the suggestion, Jimmy

byrd62

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 05:39:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 17 2004, 03:50 PM\']Was it the end theme?  Around that era, NBC used to replace all the closing themes with their promo campaign theme with voice over.[/quote]
I think that back then, NBC would "cover" the soundtrack of most of its entertainment shows during their closing credits with whatever NBC promo theme they used, whether it was "NBC-Just Watch Us Now" or "NBC-Let's All Be There", while [the late] Danny Dark, Casey Kasem, or some other hired voice-over person, or even one of their New York-based staff announcers of the time, would be heard over the music, reading the "promos".

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 06:01:21 PM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'Jul 17 2004, 04:39 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 17 2004, 03:50 PM\']Was it the end theme?  Around that era, NBC used to replace all the closing themes with their promo campaign theme with voice over.[/quote]
I think that back then, NBC would "cover" the soundtrack of most of its entertainment shows during their closing credits with whatever NBC promo theme they used, whether it was "NBC-Just Watch Us Now" or "NBC-Let's All Be There", while [the late] Danny Dark, Casey Kasem, or some other hired voice-over person, or even one of their New York-based staff announcers of the time, would be heard over the music, reading the "promos". [/quote]
Yes they did and I hated it. It started in the fall of 1982 and they stopped doing that in late 1985. I wrote NBC a thank-you letter for suspending the practice.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 06:01:48 PM by Don Howard »

GS Warehouse

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 08:37:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 17 2004, 06:01 PM\'] Yes they did and I hated it. It started in the fall of 1982 and they stopped doing that in late 1985. I wrote NBC a thank-you letter for suspending the practice. [/quote]
 Coincidence or not, this is the same network that gave us the squeezed credits that purists deplore.

gshowguy

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 04:12:25 PM »
I've heard that theme song before, from Game Show Central.

Also, does anyone know the theme song to "(Bruce Forsyth's) Play Your Cards Right"? It sounds pretty much like the music in the 1981 NBC campaign "Our Pride is Showing", only more disco-ey and more synthesizers. You can find an example of the music at TV ARK (which is sadly on hiatus).