Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Peter Marshall's Fantasy  (Read 7270 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

Peter Marshall's Fantasy
« on: July 12, 2003, 06:24:14 PM »
Can anyone tell me about the format of the short lived 1982-1983 NBC show Fantasy, Hosted by Peter Marshall?

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

PeterMarshallFan

Peter Marshall's Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 06:34:10 PM »
It was hosted by Marshall and Leslie Uggams, FYI.

rugrats1

Peter Marshall's Fantasy
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 06:41:43 PM »
The show was more along the lines of sob-story shows like \"Queen For A Day\" and \"Strike It Rich\" (with Warren Hull, not Joe Garagiola), where members of the studio audience, and even people at home, win prizes, services and money, if their cause is deemed worthy by Peter and Leslie.

The show only lasted roughly a year, and was replaced with a revival (in part) of Peter's old show -- \"The Match Game - Hollywood Squares Hour\".

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Peter Marshall's Fantasy
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 07:15:08 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jul 12 2003, 03:41 PM\'] The show was more along the lines of sob-story shows like "Queen For A Day" and "Strike It Rich" (with Warren Hull, not Joe Garagiola) [/quote]
 Kinda. That makes it sound like people stood up and told sob stories in the audience in order to get prizes, and that wasn't always the case. Here's some of the pieces they did over the course of the hour:

* Show some kind of preproduced story, one of personal triumph or great loss or what have you, and then afterwards introduce the subjects of the story and \"make their Fantasy come true\" by giving them some prizes.

* Reunions, either done remotely or live on set.

Two bits you could pretty much count on seeing on every show:

* Four couples would be brought up onstage, and instructed to secretly choose among four prizes or trip locations, with the caveat that they only won that trip if nobody else selected it. On occasion the lucky coincidence would occur where all four sets of contestants would select a different prize, and much rejoicing would occur.

* The \"Fantasy Fountain\" : A couple is stuck inside the Diamond Head / Kroeger BTC / you get the idea \"swirling whirlwind\" booth, with $50 bills blowing all around them. They got to keep whatever they got into the purse after a minute.

That was the general idea. Like I said before, the concept was fairly lighthearted as opposed to playing \"Who Can Be More Pathetic?\", the set was fairly bright, and overall as opposed to watching a soap opera, it was a pretty painless hour of network daytime television.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

Peter Marshall's Fantasy
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2003, 07:49:46 PM »
That game where the four players or couples won their choice of prizes if no one else selected it was borrowed from the late 60s Heatter-Quigley show \"Temptaton\"(Fantasy was a Heatter solo production in association with COlumbia Pictures). Write a Check was another variation on this game, where a player wrote in an amount from $100 to $900 in $100 increments, and won that amount if no one else picked it.

Matt Ottinger

Peter Marshall's Fantasy
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2003, 08:30:37 PM »
Peter Marshall's Fantasy?

I believe that involved Abby Dalton and some whipped cream.

For the record, GSN has shown Fantasy, to my knowledge, precisely once.  It aired on the day the network debuted, and unless it was a brief Dark Period stopgap, I don't think it's been seen since.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2003, 08:36:40 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PeterMarshallFan

Peter Marshall's Fantasy
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2003, 08:35:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 12 2003, 07:30 PM\'] Peter Marshall's Fantasy?

I believe that involved Abby Dalton and some whipped cream. [/quote]
Did Harry Freidman or Jay Redack write that for you? :)

PeterMarshallFan

Peter Marshall's Fantasy
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2003, 08:41:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 12 2003, 07:30 PM\'] <Funny stuff snipped>

For the record, GSN has shown Fantasy, to my knowledge, precisely once.  It aired on the day the network debuted, and unless it was a brief Dark Period stopgap, I don't think it's been seen since. [/quote]
 Wasn't it a Game of the Week once or twice also?

zachhoran

Peter Marshall's Fantasy
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2003, 08:43:31 PM »
It never aired during the Dark Period or as a Game of the Week. The GOTW segment would have to have been extended as Fantasy was an hour long show and the GOTW was a 30 minute block of time.

PeterMarshallFan

Peter Marshall's Fantasy
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2003, 08:45:51 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 12 2003, 07:43 PM\'] It never aired during the Dark Period or as a Game of the Week. The GOTW segment would have to have been extended as Fantasy was an hour long show and the GOTW was a 30 minute block of time. [/quote]
 Didn't know that. Sorry.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Peter Marshall's Fantasy
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2003, 01:19:44 PM »
I remember attending some sort of home show at age nine and seeing some display with a swirling whirlwind set up - I assume to represent all the money their A/C unit would save you if you used it.

I clearly recall saying \"Look! It's the Fantasy Fountain!\"

Guy said it'd been the fifth time he'd heard that today. :)
@lambertman

Ian Wallis

Peter Marshall's Fantasy
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2003, 11:46:23 AM »
Quote:
For the record, GSN has shown Fantasy, to my knowledge, precisely once. It aired on the day the network debuted, and unless it was a brief Dark Period stopgap, I don't think it's been seen since.

---------

There was one other time that same episode was shown:  on the first anniversary on Dec 1, 1995.  They repeated the opening marathon on that day.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

Peter Marshall's Fantasy
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2003, 07:43:40 PM »
The other regular segment that appeared on the show was \"Fantasy Spotlight,\" where new musical talent got a shot at television exposure.  Don't know if anyone famous came out of that spot.

And there's why you haven't seen \"Fantasy\" on GSN (outside of the obscurity factor)--that old devil music clearance rearing its ugly head again.

zachhoran

Peter Marshall's Fantasy
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2003, 08:06:24 PM »
They often sang the popular songs of the day like the Police's Every Breath you Take, etc.

The show also had a Sweepstakes with a top prize of over $250K Cash and Prizes, co-sponsored by Hardee's. It was the most ever offered on a daytime TV game show up to that point.

Timsterino

Peter Marshall's Fantasy
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2003, 08:08:43 PM »
This is one show I actually remembered watching and I was enthralled as a child by that Fantasy Money Fountain.  It was a cool show. I voted for it during the Feast of Favorites.

Tim :-)