Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yet Another Game Show Proposal  (Read 3837 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

Yet Another Game Show Proposal
« on: July 12, 2003, 05:57:24 PM »
Hello people!

I have made a game show proposal, but I have thought about this one. This game, called \"The Domino Effect,\" is based on the popular game \"Bones.\" For those who are unfamilar with the game, here is how it works.

\"Bones\" is a game in which dominoes are laid face up on a table. Points are scored when the board count totals a multiple of five (5,10,15...and so on). This is determined by the total of the squares on the outermost sections of the board. For example, if there is a 2 on one end, a 5 on the other, and an 8 on another, that is 15 points. The first to 250 points wilns.

The game show is played as so: two contestants choose six tiles at random. Neither contestant can see each other's tiles. The first round, called \"Double 6's,\" begins with the double 6 in the middle of a computerized board (if a contestant has the double 6 tile, he or she starts with 10 points). A very simple question is asked, and the contestant who buzzes in with the correct answer gets the right to place a tile on the board; an incorrect answer means that the opponent has the right to do so (for example, if a contestant has the 6/4 tile, he or she could place that for a quick ten points). In the case that he or she cannot place a tile, the contestant can either force his or her opponent to play or draw a tile from the \"Boneyard\" in hopes that he or she will have a playable tile. Play resumes until time in this round runs out.

The second round, \"Double 9's,\" is played the exact same way, except that there are bigger points on the board (a contestant with the double 9 tile at the start of the round gets 30 points). The one with the most points wins the game and $1,000. The runner-up gets a consolation prize.

The bonus round, known as \"Add 'Em Up,\" is played in two parts. The first part is played with a series of simple questions that are asked in the course of 45 seconds. Each question earns a contestant a draw from what is left of the \"Boneyard.\"
The second part is based on the board that was there at the end of the \"Double 9's\" round. Using the tiles drawn, the contestant continues to add points from the total from the front game as long as the board count is in multiples of five. If the contestant can get more than 500 points, the score is multiplied by 40. If the contestant can score less than 500, the score is multiplied by 20. So a contestant can walk away with over $20,000.

I know that it may sound a bit confusing, but if you ever have played the game bones yourself, you would realize how easy this game can be.

Constructice Criticism welcome!

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 07:01:17 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jul 12 2003, 02:57 PM\'] I know that it may sound a bit confusing, but if you ever have played the game bones yourself, you would realize how easy this game can be.
 [/quote]
 And here's your first problem: I've played more various games over the course of my life than a LOT of people, including many domino variants. I've never played Bones. Which means that it's probably not nearly as widespread a game as you think. People aren't gonna stick around to learn it. Hell, most people think of dominoes as something you stand on end and knock over.

The other thing is, aside from the questions determining who gets to play instead of simply alternating turns, what we have here is...a game of dominoes. Dominoes just isn't an exciting game to watch, particularly because there is next to no playalong value. \"Ooh, play the 4-4! Play the 4-4!\" Well, duh.

I have to think, if dominoes were an interesting subject for a game show, someone would have tried it by now. They just aren't, sorry.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 10:34:10 PM »
Didn't Brad have some picture from a failed pilot called \"Celebrity Dominos\"?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 11:47:47 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jul 12 2003, 09:34 PM\'] Didn't Brad have some picture from a failed pilot called "Celebrity Dominos"? [/quote]
 Yes, but wasn't that to see who could eat a pizza in the fastest amount of time. :)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 11:10:51 AM »
IIRC, \"Celebrity Dominoes\" was part of four pics Brad had of Canadian GSs. (\"Birds of a Feather\" was another title I remembered)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck