Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Now You See It" hoax?  (Read 14212 times)

joshg

"Now You See It" hoax?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2003, 03:13:15 PM »
To drag this thread somewhat back on topic, it's interesting that \"Now You See It\" was one of the few game shows of the '70s to use a commercially-released piece of music as its theme (\"Chump Change\" by Quincy Jones). My guess is they must have decided to use it because it fit the show so well. I believe the theme to \"Sanford and Son\" is on the same album.

The album is called \"You've Got It Bad, Girl\" and the 'Sanford and Son' theme is on there. Here's a link to the album info from the All Music Guide:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=At09gs31ya3xg

Of course, this track isn't on any Q greatest hits or anything like that. I found the album on cassette a few years ago and the only place I was able to find 'Chump Change' was on a CD put out by the Dutch \"Society Radio Jingles & Themes\".  (www.jingleweb.com) It's not listed there anymore... but radio geeks, enjoy!

JOSH

\"The Webmaster of Nothing\"
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 03:14:02 PM by matchgame »
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

uncamark

"Now You See It" hoax?
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2003, 03:22:45 PM »
To drag this thread somewhat back on topic, it's interesting that \"Now You See It\" was one of the few game shows of the '70s to use a commercially-released piece of music as its theme (\"Chump Change\" by Quincy Jones).  Most game shows had specifically composed pieces of music as their themes by that time.  My guess is they must have decided to use it because it fit the show so well.  I believe the theme to \"Sanford and Son\" is on the same album.

It is.

And the album is called \"You Got It Bad Girl,\" one of Quincy's first pop-jazz spectaculars (the title song is the Stevie Wonder song from his \"Innvervisions\" album).  I heard a few years ago that the album is on a Japanese import CD.

PeterMarshallFan

"Now You See It" hoax?
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2003, 06:25:49 PM »
Totally off-topic, but some other shows that used commercially released music are Three on a Match, The Face is Familiar, The Love Experts, and the first HS theme was also a preexisting piece IIRC.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
"Now You See It" hoax?
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2003, 08:29:21 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 18 2003, 05:25 PM\']Totally off-topic, but some other shows that used commercially released music are Three on a Match, The Face is Familiar, The Love Experts, and the first HS theme was also a preexisting piece IIRC.[/quote]
Was Bert Kaempfert's \"Swingin' Safari\" written for MG6x or was that preexisting as well?

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

PeterMarshallFan

"Now You See It" hoax?
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2003, 08:44:32 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jul 18 2003, 07:29 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 18 2003, 05:25 PM\']Totally off-topic, but some other shows that used commercially released music are Three on a Match, The Face is Familiar, The Love Experts, and the first HS theme was also a preexisting piece IIRC.[/quote]
Was Bert Kaempfert's "Swingin' Safari" written for MG6x or was that preexisting as well?

Doug [/quote]
 Damn, I forgot that one. Thanks.

ilb4ever2000

"Now You See It" hoax?
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2003, 12:11:36 AM »
Totally off-topic, but some other shows that used commercially released music are Three on a Match, The Face is Familiar, The Love Experts, and the first HS theme was also a preexisting piece IIRC.

Don't forget Sports Challenge, CBS TJW, and the Wheel of Fortune and Bullseye pilots.

uncamark

"Now You See It" hoax?
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2003, 05:45:32 PM »

I think you mean \"Eye Guess\" instead of \"Three on a Match.\"  \"Eye Guess\"' original theme was Al Hirt's \"Sugar Lips.\"  \"Three on a Match\"'s theme was by Bob Cobert (and I believe was also the second \"Personality\" theme, after Herb Alpert's \"Acapulco 1900\").

You can also add \"Funny You Should Ask\" (a Patrick Williams composition from the same album that his version of \"Get Back\" came from, I believe), \"You're Putting Me On!\" (although I can't remember the actual song right now) and some more obscure ones out there that don't come immediately to mind.

ilb4ever2000

"Now You See It" hoax?
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2003, 06:03:40 PM »
I think you mean \"Eye Guess\" instead of \"Three on a Match.\" \"Eye Guess\"' original theme was Al Hirt's \"Sugar Lips.\" \"Three on a Match\"'s theme was by Bob Cobert (and I believe was also the second \"Personality\" theme, after Herb Alpert's \"Acapulco 1900\").

I thought I read Herb Alpert's \"Brasilia\" was used for a time on \"Three on a Match\" before switching to Cobert's music.

PeterMarshallFan

"Now You See It" hoax?
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2003, 07:29:13 PM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 05:03 PM\']
I think you mean "Eye Guess" instead of "Three on a Match." "Eye Guess"' original theme was Al Hirt's "Sugar Lips." "Three on a Match"'s theme was by Bob Cobert (and I believe was also the second "Personality" theme, after Herb Alpert's "Acapulco 1900").

I thought I read Herb Alpert's "Brasilia" was used for a time on "Three on a Match" before switching to Cobert's music. [/quote]
 IIRC, David had it at the Page O' Music awhile back. It was marked \"Three On a Match\" but RealPlayer tagged it as \"Brasilia,\" so I believe you're right.

uncamark

"Now You See It" hoax?
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2003, 07:09:20 PM »
IIRC, David had it at the Page O' Music awhile back. It was marked \"Three On a Match\" but RealPlayer tagged it as \"Brasilia,\" so I believe you're right.

Except that I was *there* watching--and the same Bob Cobert theme music was used on \"Three on a Match\" from Day One to the end (along with the same prize cue, which sounded like something Cobert did for the original \"TPIR\").

No brag--just fact.