Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lingo  (Read 10726 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Lingo
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2004, 03:34:45 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jul 11 2004, 07:27 AM\'] She does type words in to a computer, and there are pics to prove it. Take a look at these:
http://www.studioqb.com/QBlog/single.php?qb=9

http://www.studioqb.com/QBlog/images/lingo_computer.png [/quote]
My god, you are a piece of work.

"This time it definitely looks like a dictionary program running full screen under Windows XP judging by the blue bars at the top and bottom and the gray line between two panes of white in the middle."

Yeah, that only describes 95% of the Windows apps out there. She could be wriitng me dirty email, for all you know. In fact, I can produce the dirty email to prove it:

To: Chris Lemon
Re: Chocolate syrup, pineapple rings, and Jiffy-Pop

Why you naughty boy! Of COURSE I'm free this weekend! I'll bring my "special" wardrobe. See you soon. ;)

See? It's right there in print. How can you doubt that?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 03:38:41 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Lingo
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2004, 03:37:11 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jul 11 2004, 10:17 AM\'] If you really want to do this right, you should probably do no less than five shows of each (to account for really smart contestants which get words right away, thereby allowing more words to be played, or the opposite as well).  That at least will give you a better sample base to work from.  It's still not going to be perfect, but it'll be a great way to kill a Sunday afternoon.  :)
 [/quote]
 I'm thinking that a reasonable sample set would be no less than 400 shows. And that he shouldn't post here again until he's analyzed the data exhaustively. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

Lingo
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2004, 03:43:11 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 11 2004, 02:34 PM\']

Why you naughty boy! Of COURSE I'm free this weekend! I'll bring my "special" wardrobe. See you soon. ;)
 [/quote]
 No, no, that came from Chuck.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Lingo
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2004, 04:01:03 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 11 2004, 02:37 PM\'] I'm thinking that a reasonable sample set would be no less than 400 shows. [/quote]
 Realistically for what Adam would be trying to do, you could get by with 100 and 100.  Of course, given that there are roughly 85 Woolery LINGO episodes without Stacey and 65 with, right now doing it full scale isn't possible.

But for a small-scale project, it's fine.  I've had to do some number crunching on occasion with sample sizes under 10, and every once in a while you can actually make some sort of finding even with a sample base that small (it doesn't happen very often).

And that he shouldn't post here again until he's analyzed the data exhaustively. :)

No comment.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

MikeK

• Martha!
Lingo
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2004, 04:04:46 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 11 2004, 03:34 PM\'] She could be wriitng me dirty email, for all you know. In fact, I can produce the dirty email to prove it:

See? It's right there in print. How can you doubt that? [/quote]
 Kinky.  K-I-N-K-Y.

I'll never see chocolate syrup, pineapples, or popcorn the same way again.

Does she have a sister, Chris? ;-)

HomieG1386

Lingo
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2004, 07:15:23 PM »
Alright, I just had to jump in with my two cents here.

I have no doubt that Stacey's 'prop' computer isn't really a prop...well, most of it.. Looking at the provided pictures and some of my cloudy memory, I do believe the monitor works. But the keyboard and mouse are just props. Why, you ask? Because the keyboard and mouse are 'clear'ly (pun!) Apple-brand, and the display shows Windows XP. NO ONE uses Apple mice or keyboards with XP unless you're using Virtual PC for Mac, and I doubt that they'd waste that much money when they could spend 1/2 as much on another PC. I think the monitor is just a second display of an off-camera computer, there for Stacey to read the definition of whatever word pops up.

Now that was just WAY too easy. Sorry.

urbanpreppie05

Lingo
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2004, 12:47:41 PM »
It's funny...when I said that Stacey does do work, I wasn't even referring to her "judging"...I was talking about her announcing/intros. :-)

Even with that, she still does more than some other women added to game shows.
insert signature here

LostCluster

Lingo
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2004, 09:23:52 PM »
When you think about it, the same computer program that judges the GSN.com interactive version of Lingo could be the "real judge" on the TV show. That is to say... anybody who knows how to type can type the five letters the contestants say into a computer, and then the computer can kick back either "It's a word" and light up the yellow circles and red squares, or kick back "not a word" at which point Stacey can say so and control passes to the other team. If it is a valid word, the definition can show up on Stacey's screen so if there's doubt she can read out the definition to prove it's a word.

Remember, the producers of Password after bringing in the now-famous Dr. Reason A. Goodwin quickly realized that Dr. Goodwin's magic formula for determining if a word was valid was pulling out a copy of the dictionary and looking it up. You don't have to be the guy who wrote the dictionary to do that!

LostCluster

Lingo
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2004, 12:57:12 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jul 10 2004, 10:33 PM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jul 10 2004, 11:25 PM\'] She makes the game run faster, since she can look up questionable words quickly, and determine whether or not they are real words. It took longer to do this before she got here. [/quote]
What part of that function couldn't be done -- and, in past seasons, wasn't done -- by an off-camera staffer just as quickly? [/quote]
 What Stacey can do that off-air staffers cannot is interrupt Chuck.

When a player spells a questionable word on Lingo, there's sometimes a tape-stop after Chuck stutters cluelessly for a few seconds. It's a bit disjointing for the clueless Chuck to suddenly be telling us the word. The off air-staffer telling him had to either be edited out or barely audible in the past.

Now, when taping resumes, the camera starts at Stacey, who in her backdrop just happens to have LCD monitors showing both teams so that we also get reaction shots of the teams being told the ruling for the first time. This smooths out the controversy sequences quite a bit.