Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Contestant eligibility  (Read 2686 times)

beatlefreak84

Contestant eligibility
« on: July 11, 2003, 09:39:03 PM »
Hello all,

Yes, we can sit here and debate over whether this is a game show or not for years, but, since posts already exist on it, I thought this was appropriate.

Something on BB4 has really puzzled me lately ever since the five exes have been brought in:  Michelle.

On air, she claims to be 19, which is of ripe game show age, as we all know.  However, I thought that the universal age for a reality show was 21.  Not only that, but all it would take is for somebody to be watching her with booze in her hand to get her on a count of underage drinking (and, pending she is drinking in that house, it'll be more than one count!).

I know producers can bend the rules for people, but, on a show like this, especially with so much alcohol involved, it just doesn't seem right.  Is there something going on here that I'm missing:  for example, did she lie about her age?  Did the producers tell her \"absolutely NO drinking?\"  Or is she just going in like a normal contestant without batting an eye, like I think she is?

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Contestant eligibility
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 10:25:08 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Jul 11 2003, 06:39 PM\'] (and, pending she is drinking in that house, it'll be more than one count!).
 [/quote]
 Do we know she's drinking? Have we seen her drinking? Just based solely on the format of the show, if she IS drinking, it's a pretty safe guess that someone will see her do it. :)

Did the producers tell her \"absolutely NO drinking?\"

I'm sure they did, but they shouldn't have had to. The drinking age in her home state of Florida is as much 21 as it is in California, so she knows what the law is. If she's stupid enough to get caught breaking it in a houseful of cameras (and she MAY WELL BE that stupid, she certainly hasn't impressed me as an incredible intellect so far), she should be marched right out and punished appropriate to the law, same as anyone else would be.

especially with so much alcohol involved, it just doesn't seem right.

Just because she's surrounded by alcohol doesn't mean that she has to drink it. She has to make it, what, 12 weeks in this house? I've gone 32 years, including three away at college, and I've never had a drink. It's not exactly an uncontrollable urge for everyone.

(At the same time, I do think that the producers, if they haven't already, should find out what her non-alcoholic beverage of choice IS, and be sure that is available to her at any time that the other houseguets are rewarded with free alcohol, such as when the hot tub was opened.)

What they do with grocery money is their business, but good household dynamics would suggest that her being underage is taken into account when budgeting such things.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cyberjoek

Contestant eligibility
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 08:48:59 PM »
1. Rules for this season said 18 was minimum age
2. According to the production team during an interview \"she takes one drink she's gone\"
Short and to the point :-)
-Joe Kavanagh

beatlefreak84

Contestant eligibility
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 08:53:45 PM »
1. Rules for this season said 18 was minimum age
2. According to the production team during an interview \"she takes one drink she's gone\"
Short and to the point :-)

Hmm...makes sense indeed; wonder if they'll keep the age at 18 for next year?  If so...:)

And I'm glad that the producers at least accounted for the drinking for her; nice job on their part!

Like I said, it was puzzling in the beginning, but it's all cleared up now; thanks Joe and Chris!

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™