Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Just another (likely lame-ass) GS Proposal  (Read 2869 times)

PeterMarshallFan

Just another (likely lame-ass) GS Proposal
« on: July 11, 2003, 08:51:25 PM »
Two married couples compete. In the first round, the men and women take turns guessing songs played via audiotape. A clue is read and up to 100 seconds of the song is played. The value of the song starts at $100 and drops by $1 per second. Either player can stop the song and guess by buzzing in and if correct, they bank the remaining cash. 4 songs are played in round 1.

In round 2, the songs are now played by the in-house band. Again, a clue is given, but this time only 50 seconds of the song is played. Each song starts at $250 and drops $5 per second. Again, 4 songs are played in this round.

In round 3, both partners play. Each song is now worth $500, but only 20 seconds of it is played at a rate of -$25 per second. Each team gets a crack at two songs in this round. After 4 songs, the final round is played.

The final round is a one song showdown. The clue is read, and the teams secretly wager an amount of their bank. Then 15 seconds of the song is played. During this time, the teams must write their guesses. At the end, the team with the most money wins.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I wish I could come up with a bonus round for this.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 09:12:44 PM »
Yeah. You were right.

I was gonna leave it at this, but I just want you to stop and envision something with me for a second. I want you to picture Hubby and Wife staring stupidly at each other for DAMN NEAR TWO MINUTES because they have no idea what the song is. AND YOU HAVE NO OTHER CAMERA SHOT (except perhaps the occasional cutaway of your host plotting the death of his agent for lining up this gig) because YOU ARE PUMPING THE MUSIC IN OVER SPEAKERS.

Are you picturing that? WOULD YOU WATCH THAT?

At least in the second round you can switch among fill shots of Dick Hertz and the Rectal Itch while Hubby and Wife spend another minute slack-jawed.

[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 11 2003,06:12 PM\']I wish I could come up with a bonus round for this.[/quote]

Rest assured when I tell you, by the time you get there, the three viewers who happened upon you accidentally will have already moved on to something else. Save yer money.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 09:21:38 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 01:45:19 AM »
Chris already pointed out the HUGE flaw, so I'll ask about some smaller ones:

Why husbands and wives?

Is this show going to straddle? Because if the contestants know all 17 songs pretty quickly, it might take them a total of 2 minutes to guess all of them. If they don't know any of them, over 11 \"on the clock\" minutes are going to pass. No director in the world could handle a potential 9-minute difference in time of gameplay for a 22-minute show.

Why so extremely little variation throughout the concept? Name That Tune, Name That Video, Face the Music (just to name music-based game shows)--each did a lot more with their successive rounds than \"less time, more money\".
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 04:16:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jul 11 2003, 10:45 PM\'] Why so extremely little variation throughout the concept? Name That Tune, Name That Video, Face the Music (just to name music-based game shows)--each did a lot more with their successive rounds than "less time, more money". [/quote]
 My guess is that those formats also took significantly longer than fifteen minutes to develop.

Here's a hint, kids: If you sit down at the computer, click \"New Topic\", and say \"Okay, I'm gonna come up with the Next Big Proposal and it's gonna be so good that everyone on the Invision board is gonna fall at my feet!\", just hit the Back button on your browser right there and think of something else to do, because I can guarantee you that it WILL suck.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2003, 10:57:13 AM »
One more thing.  If you're going into a pitch meeting with a network, and THIS is your attitude about your own project, just imagine how far you'd get.  If you're not all that fond of your OWN proposal, maybe you really ought to keep it to yourself.  

In other words, if you're bad-mouthing it as a defense mechanism against the criticism you see as inevitable, there's one sure-fire way to prevent the \"inevitable\" from happening....
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2003, 02:10:54 PM »
At the same time, I should say this: If you enjoy sitting down and posting a 15-minute hack-job of a proposal to the board, hey, ya know, nobody's gonna stop you, same as nobody's gonna stop you for posting a poorly thought out comment on any other topic around here. But you should know that people WILL tell you that it's poorly thought out, and adjust your skin accordingly. If you can let it slide like water off of a duck's back, more power to you. Me, I prefer to go for quality over quantity. (The quantity, it seems, is merely a fringe benefit. :))