Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Stewart....  (Read 10640 times)

WorldClassRob

Bob Stewart....
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2004, 10:02:42 AM »
I enjoyed almost all of the games from Bob Stewart; good or bad.  Pyramid obviously is the best of the bunch, with Chain Reaction and Jackpot behind that in terms of longevity on television.

Here's an interesting thought: Bob Stewart Productions was the last game show production company to vacate from New York and move to Los Angeles.  It was a slow transistion however, as in 1980 "Pyramid" was still produced in New York, and "Chain Reaction" was produced in Burbank.  By 1982, the company exclusively operated from Hollywood.

I don't have the exact count with me; I would have to research and add it up; but Bill Cullen does hold the record for the most Stewart game shows hosted (right off the top of my head he had hosted eight).  Geoff Edwards hosted around three.  Between the two, Geoff and Bill has appeared on almost every Bob Stewart celebrity-based game show that aired during the '70s, either as a host or celebrity player.  If you look at an earlier post regarding Jackpot, check out the story on how Bob and Geoff sat down one day when Jackpot dropped the riddle format to general knowledge questions, and realize that the series was in trouble.  

Great company... while it did spin off so many word games from Password, Bob Stewart did come up with some innovative ideas and most of them worked.

Mike Tennant

Bob Stewart....
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2004, 10:21:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 08:38 AM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 09:21 AM\'] However, both shows used 100 people, which leads me to believe CS was actually a spin-off of FF. [/quote]
It leads me to believe that someone noticed 100 was a nice, round number.[/quote]
Not to mention that a number out of 100 is also a percentage, which is easy for people to understand.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Stewart....
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2004, 11:41:26 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 06:21 AM\'] I understand why one might think the two weren't actually related.  However, both shows used 100 people, which leads me to believe CS was actually a spin-off of FF. [/quote]
 And you were just told, by someone who worked at G/T during the appropriate time period, that that was not the case. Shall we hire skywriters?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

Bob Stewart....
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2004, 12:40:00 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 08:21 AM\']Concerning FF/CS

I understand why one might think the two weren't actually related.  However, both shows used 100 people, which leads me to believe CS was actually a spin-off of FF.[/quote]
And considering that Chester Feldman first threw out the whole "polls of 100 people" idea as a guest star spot with Lynn Redgrave on the last network "IGAS" in 1967, that's further proof that "CS" didn't spin off of "Feud."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Stewart....
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2004, 01:16:32 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 09:40 AM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 08:21 AM\']Concerning FF/CS

I understand why one might think the two weren't actually related.  However, both shows used 100 people, which leads me to believe CS was actually a spin-off of FF.[/quote]
And considering that Chester Feldman first threw out the whole "polls of 100 people" idea as a guest star spot with Lynn Redgrave on the last network "IGAS" in 1967, that's further proof that "CS" didn't spin off of "Feud." [/quote]
 Imagine how CS would be different if Chester ended up doing that IGAS spot with "polls of 37 people"...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Pyramid80

Bob Stewart....
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2004, 01:22:26 PM »
White the topic of Bob Stewart is pretty hot...here is an e-mail that I had gotten from a former BSP employee.

"I worked for Bob and Sande (Bob's son, who eventually took over the business) off and on for about 6 years.  I worked on Double Talk, Sports on Tap, the Pyramids, and several pilots that never went anywhere.  Bob was an amazing man to work for.  He could be like your father one minute and an evil dictator the next.  Sometimes during tapings he would come storming out of the booth and spew hellfire at someone who had done something wrong making everyone in the audience very nervous."

sshuffield70

Bob Stewart....
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2004, 04:44:38 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 08:38 AM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 08:21 AM\'] However, both shows used 100 people, which leads me to believe CS was actually a spin-off of FF. [/quote]
Your logic makes no sense to imply CS was spun off from FF.

Card Sharks and Gambit both used playing cards. Is Card Sharks a spin off of Gambit? No.

High Rollers and Winner Takes All both had jump in questions. Is High Rollers a spin off? No.

Price is Right and Hollywood Squares both have studio audiences in the same studio. Is Hollywood Squares a spin off? No. [/quote]
 Well, seems several of you have taken shots of me.  But this post deserves several pot shots for its' absolute stupidity.

Card Sharks and Gambit are by different producers.  It can't be a spin-off.

TPIR and Hollywood Squares: again, different producers (outside of MGHSH).  And completely different unrelated games.

Nice try, Matt.  You may now go to the TTD '90 room.  I'll remember to lock the door.

The Ol' Guy

Bob Stewart....
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2004, 04:53:52 PM »
Heavens..between Rich Kline's alleged profane outbursts, Bob Stewart's hellfire storms and Dawson's hissy fits, no wonder it's hard to get live audiences for game shows. Sounds like sitting in on some game shows could be classified as hazardous duty... :-)

Steve Gavazzi

Bob Stewart....
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2004, 05:21:11 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 04:44 PM\'] [quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 08:38 AM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 08:21 AM\'] However, both shows used 100 people, which leads me to believe CS was actually a spin-off of FF. [/quote]
Your logic makes no sense to imply CS was spun off from FF.

Card Sharks and Gambit both used playing cards. Is Card Sharks a spin off of Gambit? No.

High Rollers and Winner Takes All both had jump in questions. Is High Rollers a spin off? No.

Price is Right and Hollywood Squares both have studio audiences in the same studio. Is Hollywood Squares a spin off? No. [/quote]
Well, seems several of you have taken shots of me.  But this post deserves several pot shots for its' absolute stupidity.

Card Sharks and Gambit are by different producers.  It can't be a spin-off.

TPIR and Hollywood Squares: again, different producers (outside of MGHSH).  And completely different unrelated games.

Nice try, Matt.  You may now go to the TTD '90 room.  I'll remember to lock the door. [/quote]
Congratulations.  You've totally missed the point.  Matt was trying -- and quite well, I thought -- to show that just because two shows have similar elements, it doesn't mean that one is a spin-off of the other.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 05:24:49 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

sshuffield70

Bob Stewart....
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2004, 08:52:47 PM »
Well, he sure as hell missed it a lot further.  At least I'm not so stupid as to have suggested Card Sharks and Gambit were related.  If the other poster had half a brain (.....does he have a brain?.....), he would have been able to make his point without looking totally idiotic.

tvwxman

Bob Stewart....
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2004, 08:58:31 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 07:52 PM\'] Well, he sure as hell missed it a lot further.  At least I'm not so stupid as to have suggested Card Sharks and Gambit were related.  If the other poster had half a brain (.....does he have a brain?.....), he would have been able to make his point without looking totally idiotic. [/quote]
 Number one : be very careful what you insinuate with my brain capacity and "stupidity". I'd be willing to bet safely I have more friends here than you do.

Number two : You did miss the complete idea of my post. It wasn't that difficult to figure it out , since others got it perfectly.

Of course the shows I listed WERE NOT spinoffs. Re-read my post and you'll see that I said they weren't.

My point, mister, is this : just because two shows come from the same company and use polls based on one hundred people DOES NOT make them spinoffs of any kind.  Yes/No public opinion polls and Survey polls made by Goodson/Todman staff were both counted up to 100 people, and THAT was the only common thread between the two.

Matt.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

dzinkin

Bob Stewart....
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2004, 08:59:37 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 08:52 PM\'] Well, he sure as hell missed it a lot further.  At least I'm not so stupid as to have suggested Card Sharks and Gambit were related. [/quote]
 Show us where Matt suggested that Card Sharks and Gambit were related.  He said they WEREN'T.

If the other poster had half a brain (.....does he have a brain?.....), he would have been able to make his point without looking totally idiotic.

Matt does not look the least bit idiotic.  You're the one who's still refusing to get the point, and you look even worse when you attribute comments to him that he never made.

Craig Karlberg

Bob Stewart....
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2004, 06:06:51 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 03:53 PM\'] Heavens..between Rich Kline's alleged profane outbursts, Bob Stewart's hellfire storms and Dawson's hissy fits, no wonder it's hard to get live audiences for game shows. Sounds like sitting in on some game shows could be classified as hazardous duty... :-) [/quote]
Maybe the Surgeon General should issue a warning that states:

"Sitting in a game show studio may be hazzardous to your health"

Robair

Bob Stewart....
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2004, 07:59:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jun 30 2004, 05:06 AM\'] [quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 03:53 PM\'] Heavens..between Rich Kline's alleged profane outbursts, Bob Stewart's hellfire storms and Dawson's hissy fits, no wonder it's hard to get live audiences for game shows. Sounds like sitting in on some game shows could be classified as hazardous duty... :-) [/quote]
Maybe the Surgeon General should issue a warning that states:

"Sitting in a game show studio may be hazzardous to your health" [/quote]
 You sure about that? In my times in Hollywood at many game show tapings (about 30 or so), the most violent act I ever witnessed was Rip Taylor ripping off his toupee. That includes a bunch of weeks of "Pyramid", all weeks when Bob Stewart was present on the set.
--Robair

The Ol' Guy

Bob Stewart....
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2004, 10:45:46 AM »
I'm sure I'm focusing on relatively random outbursts, just tongue-in-cheek. But it does concern me that you'd have 200-plus people in a good audience taking home bad impressions of shows, producers and talent when issues aren't dealt with in a way that doesn't expose the audience to it. When there was a goofup at the one major taping I saw, the host and producers huddled around the podium and worked out a solution quietly. I'm sure the audience - who came to have fun - appreciated it.