Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Thirty years ago today.....  (Read 2139 times)

Winkfan

Thirty years ago today.....
« on: July 01, 2004, 05:34:02 PM »
And now, a game of high stakes; where every decision is a gamble, and every move may be your last.....HIGH ROLLERS!!!!!

Those words were heard for the first time over the NBC network 30 years ago today!

So to all those who were involved with the show to Alex, Ruta, Elaine, Becky, Linda, and Kenny from the two network versions; and to Wink, Crystal, K.C., and Dean from the sole syndicated version, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Heather Cunningham of the Big Board!

P.S. Oh yeah, Winning Streak debuted on that same day as well.
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 06:09:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 04:34 PM\'] Wink, Crystal, K.C., and Dean from the sole syndicated version, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!
 [/quote]
 Wait...I thought there was a syndicated version in the mid-70s as well?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Fedya

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 07:17:10 PM »
Only two network seasons?  I remember it from 1978, since I remember that they had the Big Numbers 1,9,7, and 8 flash on the board, and realizing that they couldn't do this again until 1982.

The show, of course, didn't last until 1982, but that's another story.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

aaron sica

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 07:31:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 07:17 PM\'] Only two network seasons?  I remember it from 1978, since I remember that they had the Big Numbers 1,9,7, and 8 flash on the board, and realizing that they couldn't do this again until 1982.

The show, of course, didn't last until 1982, but that's another story.  :-) [/quote]
 Along the same lines:

I remember watching MG'79 and thinking that it wouldn't be too long until they became MG'80....

Once again, that never happened...

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 08:12:33 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 05:09 PM\'] [quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 04:34 PM\'] Wink, Crystal, K.C., and Dean from the sole syndicated version, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!
 [/quote]
Wait...I thought there was a syndicated version in the mid-70s as well? [/quote]
 Yes, Alex hosted and Elaine Stewart Heatter was the dice girl. That version had a self-contained format rather than a straddling one as it was a weekly syndie. THey played a two out of three game match, with the winner playing the Big Numbers. THe same two players would play another match until time ran out, and when time ran out, the player who won more games would play another Big Numbers. No returning champs.

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 08:32:48 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 07:12 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 05:09 PM\'] [quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 04:34 PM\'] Wink, Crystal, K.C., and Dean from the sole syndicated version, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!
 [/quote]
Wait...I thought there was a syndicated version in the mid-70s as well? [/quote]
Yes, Alex hosted and Elaine Stewart Heatter was the dice girl. That version had a self-contained format rather than a straddling one as it was a weekly syndie. THey played a two out of three game match, with the winner playing the Big Numbers. THe same two players would play another match until time ran out, and when time ran out, the player who won more games would play another Big Numbers. No returning champs. [/quote]
 And Alex wore a tuxedo for these nighttime shows.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 01:44:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 07:32 PM\']
And Alex wore a tuxedo for these nighttime shows. [/quote]
 An afro-sportin', polyester-wearing, penguin...and look where he is today!

To stay on-topic, I'm suprised that the rights weren't even acquired for a modern-day version, post-wink era. I mean, since they fought law-style for Hollywood Squares during the 90's, wouldn't they even go for a new version.

and how would any chances of reruns being shown should sony acquire MGM?

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 03:07:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 12:44 AM\'] To stay on-topic, I'm suprised that the rights weren't even acquired for a modern-day version, post-wink era. I mean, since they fought law-style for Hollywood Squares during the 90's, wouldn't they even go for a new version. [/quote]
 Hollywood Squares was by leaps and bounds more successful than High Rollers.  And if you don't have a successful incarnation in 1987, why would you be itching to create another one when you have a winner in HSq?

Brandon Brooks

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 12:51:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 12:44 AM\']and how would any chances of reruns being shown should sony acquire MGM?[/quote]
[Judy Tenuta] It could happen. [JT]  If Ian Valentine's interested--but I think he'd be more interested in "American Gladiators."

GS Warehouse

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 06:27:00 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 12:51 PM\'] [quote name=\'Strikerz04\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 12:44 AM\']and how would any chances of reruns being shown should sony acquire MGM?[/quote]
[Judy Tenuta] It could happen. [JT]  If Ian Valentine's interested--but I think he'd be more interested in "American Gladiators." [/quote]
 Well, if this weekend's numbers for CS are good, Ian might put a thought on it (and I wouldn't mind seeing AG on GSN, IMO).