Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker personal appearance  (Read 8648 times)

Jimmy Owen

Bob Barker personal appearance
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2004, 12:19:56 PM »
In the mid '70's Chuck Barris had outlined a different idea for a show called "Greed" in a TV Guide article. I don't know if Chuck was concerned when the Fox show came out, but maybe there is nothing new under the sun.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvrandywest

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2004, 01:36:39 PM »
Oh, the stories are endless. I actually sold what I thought was a totally original game idea to a prominent game show producer whose name we all know. I had yet to decide between 2 names I was alternating between, "Picture This" and "Get The Picture".

We did office run-thrus with contestants. The producer made some great tweaks to the idea and then made informal presentations of the idea to two network programmers. Shortly thereafter a friend told me she was hired to be a contestant on a pilot called "Win, Lose or Draw" with amazing similarities to the game I created. And 3 months later I was hired as a run-through contestant at Group W to present "Get The Picture". I was crazed - both my idea and even one of my titles were stolen.

After I calmed down and had conversations with people higher up the game show food chain I came to understand that there are only so many concepts that can be turned into a game and they are continually "created" again and again in varying incarnations. I even learned that at least one of the titles I "created" had been used before.

EDITORIAL:
For myself, I'm convinced that everything that can be done with Q&A, words, numbers, prices, pictures and cards has been done already either on-air or in the office of at least one producer in the past 50+ years of TV game shows. The great and not so great minds in TV game shows have spent millions of hours cumulatively trying to invent a new wheel. They all turn out to be round with spokes, and all bear at least a moderate resemblence to something that has been on-air or piloted before.

I think the inventive and memorable presentation and/or concept within which the game is played is what gives a show marketability. Examples, great and not so great, run the gamut from the A&Q variation of Q&A that is "Jeopardy!" to the arithmetic hocus pocus accompanying the simple asking of riddles that was "Jackpot". Look at the great TPiR games that are simple at their core but truly inventive and engaging.

Now what the hell were we talking about?

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2004, 04:35:00 PM »
While I'm still leery about the legal aspects of the Pitch Session, I'm going to give it a try. I agree with Randy's editorial -- I'm not going to pretend my concept is completely original, but it's creative enough to be different. Of course, I've picked the concept that I've already produced several hours of for my college's TV station, just in case.

--
Scott Robinson
Looking forward to having holes poked in his format

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2004, 01:29:22 AM »
I'm convinced that everything that can be done with Q&A, words, numbers, prices, pictures and cards has been done already either on-air or in the office of at least one producer in the past 50+ years of TV game shows. The great and not so great minds in TV game shows have spent millions of hours cumulatively trying to invent a new wheel. They all turn out to be round with spokes, and all bear at least a moderate resemblence to something that has been on-air or piloted before.
... or flat-out rejected.

What Randy says is so true. Add to the list: matching/predicting/identifying other peoples' responses (Match Game/Family Feud/Newlywed Game/Tattletales/Mindreaders/Card Sharks/Hot Potato/He Said, She Said).

I've told the story before that the original end game of Puzzlers had to be changed because it was identical to the end game of Bob Stewart's Chain Reaction.

And with all of the millions of person-hours that have been devoted to reinventing the wheel over the years, what's one of the most popular and longest-running games on TV? Hangman.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 01:33:06 AM by chris319 »

comicus

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2004, 02:45:14 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 07:33 PM\']You'd pitch "Dumpster Hunt" and "What's That Smell?" just to see the reaction, wouldn't you? :-D[/quote]
"For two-point-two million dollars... IS IT TUNA?  Is it?!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2004, 11:30:59 AM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' date=\'Jul 5 2004, 11:45 PM\'] [quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 07:33 PM\']You'd pitch "Dumpster Hunt" and "What's That Smell?" just to see the reaction, wouldn't you? :-D[/quote]
"For two-point-two million dollars... IS IT TUNA?  Is it?!" [/quote]
 You're new here, so you don't know that I would NEVER play What's That Smell? for that kind of money. But otherwise, it appears you have the concept down solid! ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2004, 01:16:11 AM »
Just off the phone with the organizers of GSC and want to spread the word that this is shaping up to be a bigger event than first envisioned... by far. Barker IS confirmed to appear, as are Tom Kennedy and Jack Narz. And watch for word of a half-a-dozen additional VIPs added to speak at the lunch awards. They include hosts, fave panelists and a superstar producer. I'll post the names when I get an "OK".

Todd Newton should be joining me for some Sunday morning panels that I'm helping to organize. Bob Boden, David Ruprecht and other notable cool folk are scheduled to participate.

Shameless plugging? No. I know that the organizers are anxious to get the word out and have been working hard to drum up publicity for the weekend. It should be fun... and it's only 90 minutes from "TPIR-LIVE" in San Diego   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 01:21:14 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2004, 01:30:20 AM »
a superstar producer
Wow, so they're going to thaw out old man Goodson! There must be something to that cryogenics stuff!

OK, if it isn't Goodson then who could it be? Merrill Heatter? Bob Stewart? Monty? Merv? Though he is not a packager, Roger Dobkowitz certainly qualifies as a superstar.

Let the anticipation build!

Jay Wolpert? Dick Clark? Ralph Andrews -- NOT!

Though he technically qualifies as a producer and is a superstar, I don't think Barker qualifies as a "superstar producer".

Bob Boden?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 01:46:46 AM by chris319 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2004, 01:34:36 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 22 2004, 12:30 AM\']
a superstar producer
Wow, so they're going to thaw out old man Goodson! There must be something to that cryogenics stuff!

OK, if it isn't Goodson then who could it be? Merrill Heatter? Bob Stewart? Monty? Merv? Though he is not a packager, Roger Dobkowitz certainly qualifies as a superstar.

Let the anticipation build!

Jay Wolpert? Dick Clark? Ralph Andrews -- NOT!

Though he technically qualifies as a producer, and is a superstar, I don't think Barker qualifies as a "superstar producer".

Bob Boden?[/quote]
H. Winkler?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 01:41:10 AM by chris319 »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2004, 01:44:55 AM »
H. Winkler?
If H. Winkler qualifies as a game show producer then I qualify as a rabbi.

If he qualifies as a superstar producer then I qualify as a superstar rabbi.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 01:46:11 AM by chris319 »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2004, 01:47:06 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 21 2004, 10:44 PM\']
H. Winkler?
If H. Winkler qualifies as a game show producer then I qualify as a rabbi.
[/quote]
Forgive this heathen, Father...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 01:47:52 AM by whoserman »

tvrandywest

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2004, 05:52:48 AM »
Wait no longer. Add to Barker, Kennedy and Narz (who will be speaking to honor Ralph Edwards; son Gary Edwards will receive the award) the following greats who will be honoring Bill Cullen:

Dick Clark, Bob Stewart, Betty White, and Jayne Meadows. Fred Wostbrock may even get teary-eyed speaking of the man who meant so much to him. Ann Cullen will accept the award for Bill.

Most of these folks will likely be available for a little meet and greet, and perhaps may sign your copy of Fred and Steve Ryan's new book which will be available.

I originally said it half in jest, but this may be the closest thing to a game show Woodstock! (Don't take the brown acid).

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 05:55:54 AM by tvrandywest »

Don Howard

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2004, 06:39:07 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 22 2004, 04:52 AM\'] I originally said it half in jest, but this may be the closest thing to a game show Woodstock! (Don't take the brown acid).

[/quote]
 Wow! This will be a long three weeks in anticipation of all this. I am so glad I decided to attend. This will be perpetual bliss. Kudos all around to the planning committee. Can't wait to meet the all-stars plus the Invision gang that shows up.

SplitSecond

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2004, 07:52:11 AM »
Michael Davies?

Timsterino

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2004, 10:38:47 AM »
Well I moved some mountains after I saw that lineup last night. Erika and I are coming to the GSC! It is very nutty. We are flying back from London to Orlando and hopping on another plane three hours later bound for LAX. We will be there for all of Sunday's fun and the TPiR and Jep! tapings.

Please say "Hi" if you see me and I promise to do the same. We should all wear name tags. lol.

Tim :-)