Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker personal appearance  (Read 8630 times)

Matt Ottinger

Bob Barker personal appearance
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2004, 11:01:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 10:26 PM\'] [quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 09:14 PM\'] You guys are going to have to get over yourselves.  Steve Beverly did not name it.  The man who did name it, Paul Bailey, is one of the nicest people you would ever meet and had no prior knowledge of a-t-gs. 

Believe it or not, there were game show fans who didn't use Usenet.
[/quote]
I wonder why Paul didn't name it the Game Show Convention?  Convention sounds better than Congress. [/quote]
 "Convention" may have sounded too mundane; some of these quiz-bowl types are pretty clever when it comes to naming things.  Since Beverly already calls his site the "Convention Center", Paul and his group may have wanted to name it something different to specifically avoid confusion.  But Mike's right, nobody in this "Congress" operation is the slightest bit interested in (and only vaguely aware of) our past Game Show Conventions, and certainly aren't trying to steal any thunder.

Just think about it a very little bit.  In terms of connecting with game show history, the highlights of ten past Game Show Conventions have been touching an actual pair of dice from The Big Showdown and reading a letter from Mary Lou Basaraba.  This year's Congress will be attended by Bob Barker, Tom Kennedy, Jack Narz and Ann Cullen, just to name a few.  What exactly do you think they're competing with?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Rastaub

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2004, 07:34:16 AM »
Speaking as the host of the last Convention, I can say I dont think we are trying to compete with the Congress in the slightest bit.

The Game Show Convention is roughly 10 fans hanging out for a weekend watching tapes and playing board games. All the attendees know this before attending. On the flipside the Congress is a professionally run, largescale event that has Bob Barker among others.

This next line may be Woolery left Wheel territory, but I think that no one here has any problem with the actual event, or Paul Bailey, or any of it's scheduled attendees. I'm sure half of the members here would love to go to this. I think the reason and only reason there is the slightest bit of complaint, is that Steve Beverly is invloved, and any time the Perf is involved, some people here feel the need to take potshots at him. Now, I realize his reputation here, but seriously, I have to give the man and his co-organizers kudos, as anyone who can get the big names they are getting certainly deserve praise.

uncamark

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2004, 02:44:52 PM »
And if I didn't have something else planned for that weekend, I would be there.  I am very impressed with what he's been able to do.

All I ask is that he not use the Perfesser's noxious "game opera" term for those certain competition shows.  That use in the TV biz seems to be limited to strictly the Perfesser and his minions and has not gained general usage.

Don Howard

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2004, 07:28:08 AM »
In addition to all the points mentioned above, if you attend this event, you'll get to meet me. As if pressing the flesh with Bob Barker et.al. wasn't enough incentive.

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2004, 04:04:22 PM »
I read that there would be sessions where attendees can present their original game show ideas. Is this still on, and for anyone unable to attend, would there be any alternative. For example, would there be a way to possibly get in touch with whoever would handle the proposals?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvrandywest

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2004, 04:28:10 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 12:04 PM\'] I read that there would be sessions where attendees can present their original game show ideas. Is this still on, and for anyone unable to attend, would there be any alternative. For example, would there be a way to possibly get in touch with whoever would handle the proposals? [/quote]
The "Pitch Session" is one of the panels I have been helping to organize. Due to time limitations there will only be a few participants able to present their game ideas to the panel of pros. If everyone with an idea at GSC3 had their 6 minutes it would consume the entire weekend as opposed to the hour or so planned.

Get to the GSC website now to get more information on what to present in advance to be considered for participation, I know a couple of folks have gotten their act together already and will be among those presenting ideas.

While GSC will be handling the legalese for participants, I think it's important to clarify what this panel is all about. While producers and present/former network/cable programmers are scheduled to be on the panel, none will be there in a professional capacity as a representative of his/her company. You will NOT be pitching an idea directly to NBC, GSN or any other outlet.

While the people on the panel may decide that they want to talk with you further outside of GSC, the real purposes of this panel are to give people who have prepared game ideas to the point where they are ready for presentation an opportunity to see how the TV world works and to get feedback on developing their ideas.

It should be an invaluable experience for those who are serious about shephearding a concept to the marketplace. Those selected to particiapte will present their games under circumstances similar to how a real pitch works and then have some dialogue with the industry folks about things such as: where the idea may need to be further developed, where any problems in play and judging may be, how the idea can be made more commercially viable, and even suggestions on how to improve the idea's presentation as you work towards the next steps of making a formal pitch to a buyer.

I hope that helps clarify what that GSC panel is all about.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 02:09:08 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

dickoon

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2004, 09:08:23 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Jun 30 2004, 03:14 AM\'] You guys are going to have to get over yourselves.  Steve Beverly did not name it.  The man who did name it, Paul Bailey, is one of the nicest people you would ever meet and had no prior knowledge of a-t-gs.  

Believe it or not, there were game show fans who didn't use Usenet. [/quote]
 There's very little about GS Congress 1 left on the Internet, so I have only your word to take for it that Paul Bailey was involved at Congress 1. As I recall, Congress 1 had very little apart from Prof. Beverly and a trivia tournament; Paul Bailey seems to be involved from the trivia side of things, so I'm just prepared to believe he might have been involved with the selection of the name.

That said, any collection of game show fans worth their assembly-organisation salt ought to have at least one person with knowledge of at least one of (a) USENET, (b) a number of sister game show fandom game show mailing lists, © the existence of GSC tapes on the tape trading circuit, (d) our appearance on GSN, (e) Brad Francini's web pages on the subject, (f) other attendees' pages on the subject, (g) our long-established interaction with the likes of one F. Wostbrock, not to mention one R. West of this parish and so on and so on. Due diligence and informed fan status must surely preclude ignorance of all of the above.

Our GSC tradition is not a footnote; it is a vital part of game show fandom, such as it is. I might accept that Paul Bailey might not know, but whoever else might have spoken up and said "no, that's a bad name, the abbreviation has already been taken" but didn't do so is just as much to blame. Given that much of the publicity of the first event was on Prof. Beverly's site, I am quite convinced he was fully involved from the start, particularly with the first event in the series, and it would seem most unlikely to me that he could not have at least pointed out the initial clash.

We have had discussions on the past about the importance of the online fandom on the game show world at large. I fully accept that our membership, which can be reasonably estimated at three figures, does not nearly have the clout to impact scheduling decisions and we have done well for something of our rat's-gluteus-maximus size to get mention on Club AM and Extreme Gong.

However, we are already at a size where we can have a marked effect on attendance at game show gatherings, and we are surely the ideal demographic for such gatherings. Heck, we are considerably more interesting and relevant than most attendees. While it's unreasonable to assume that we are the target market for GSN, we are a target market for any putative game show assembly and our existence - heck, our dollars - should be respected. I would hate us to be marginalised to a talk at a fourth such congress, "The history of game show fandom on the Internet and predecessor commercial online systems, 1992 to 2003" - we're worth more than that. (That said, I imagine that any of the usual suspects could deliver such a talk and make it rock harder than a two-karat diamond.) Each of the three congresses could probably have got another, realistically, 20 or 25 grateful attendees, of the sort who would have likely volunteered to assist with the administration, produced interesting new programming and given the event a positive buzz, had there been a deliberate attempt to get the support of the established online game show fandom - which would, doubtlessly, have pointed out the prior existence of GSC-branded events and produced a more acceptable name.

Don't even get me started on the lifting of the Home Game Tournament tradition as well as everything else.

I recognise that my mouth is becoming uncomfortably frothy, so I shall have myself checked for rabies before further posts from the UK on this topic.

JayDLewis

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2004, 10:30:13 PM »
FWIW, I did email Mr Bailey after I saw GSC2 on Da Perf's site telling him (complaining, really) that GSC was a moniker that had already been in use since 1994.

If I can find his reply, I'll pass it along.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2004, 08:23:46 PM »
While GSC will be handling the legalese for participants, I think it's important to clarify what this panel is all about. While producers and present/former network/cable programmers are scheduled to be on the panel, none will be there in a professional capacity as a representative of his/her company. You will NOT be pitching an idea directly to NBC, GSN or any other outlet.

While the people on the panel may decide that they want to talk with you further outside of GSC, the real purposes of this panel are to give people who have prepared game ideas to the point where they are ready for presentation an opportunity to see how the TV world works and to get feedback on developing their ideas.

It should be an invaluable experience for those who are serious about shephearding a concept to the marketplace. Those selected to particiapte will present their games under circumstances similar to how a real pitch works and then have some dialogue with the industry folks about things such as: where the idea may need to be further developed, where any problems in play and judging may be, how the idea can be made more commercially viable, and even suggestions on how to improve the idea's presentation as you work towards the next steps of making a formal pitch to a buyer.
Sorry, but I have big, big problems with this for a variety of both ethical and legal reasons. But hey, I don't have a horse in this race as I would never pitch an idea at such a venue.

Speaking as a veteran of game show pitches (granted, I'm talking about traditional studio games) I can say that step #1 in developing a game is to play it over and over and over and over again in your living room and work out the kinks at that stage. I foresee games coming in which look good on paper and which work in the creator's head but which are not even close to the pitch stage for any number of reasons. That's just one of the problems I foresee.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2004, 08:29:56 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 05:23 PM\'] I foresee games coming in which look good on paper and which work in the creator's head but which are not even close to the pitch stage for any number of reasons. That's just one of the problems I foresee. [/quote]
 Are you kidding? That's the whole reason I'd wanna SEE it. This should be comedy of the highest order! :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2004, 08:33:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 08:29 PM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 05:23 PM\'] I foresee games coming in which look good on paper and which work in the creator's head but which are not even close to the pitch stage for any number of reasons. That's just one of the problems I foresee. [/quote]
Are you kidding? That's the whole reason I'd wanna SEE it. This should be comedy of the highest order! :) [/quote]
 You'd pitch "Dumpster Hunt" and "What's That Smell?" just to see the reaction, wouldn't you? :-D

Don Howard

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2004, 08:51:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 07:29 PM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 05:23 PM\'] I foresee games coming in which look good on paper and which work in the creator's head but which are not even close to the pitch stage for any number of reasons. That's just one of the problems I foresee. [/quote]
Are you kidding? That's the whole reason I'd wanna SEE it. This should be comedy of the highest order! :) [/quote]
 I hope you're there. I'd like to meet you. Especially to see and hear your reaction when someone does pitch a Plinko show. My airplane and hotel reservations are confirmed. Since this Congrefs will have star power, I can't wait for mid-August to get here. Plus, I'll get to meet some of you.

tvrandywest

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2004, 03:42:25 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 04:29 PM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 05:23 PM\'] I foresee games coming in which look good on paper and which work in the creator's head but which are not even close to the pitch stage for any number of reasons. That's just one of the problems I foresee. [/quote]
 Exactly! If that's the case, Bob Boden and I will be fighting for the Simon Cowell role!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2004, 04:41:53 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 05:33 PM\'] You'd pitch "Dumpster Hunt" and "What's That Smell?" just to see the reaction, wouldn't you? :-D [/quote]
 Bah. I would SELL Dumpster Hunt and What's That Smell?. These are the same jokers who are giving Frank Nicotero a paycheck.
[quote name=\'"Don Howard\' date=\' Jul 2 2004, 05:51 PM"\']I hope you're there. I'd like to meet you. Especially to see and hear your reaction when someone does pitch a Plinko show.[/quote]
I can't make it, I have double root canal surgery I've been looking forward to. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2004, 12:00:32 PM »
This appeared in the Los Angeles Times a few years back. Judge for yourselves.
========================================================
WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?: A producer of reality TV shows is suing Dick Clark Productions and Fox Entertainment Group, saying the idea for the show "Greed" was stolen from him.

Jefferson Lanz says in his Los Angeles Superior Court suit that he created the prototype for the show and registered a manuscript with the Writers Guild in 1991. Among the features of his prototype, Lanz says, are several characteristics picked up in the show. The greediest player wins by eliminating other players and stealing their prizes. The players climb to the top of a tower to win: In Lanz's manuscripts it's called the "mountain of moola;" on "Greed, it's the "tower of greed." Players can challenge each other to life and death situations, which Lanz called the "Crusher" and "Greed" calls the "Terminator."

Lanz says he pitched his idea to Dick Clark Productions, and wrote a treatment for the people now involved in the production of the show "Greed." He was stunned, the suit says, to read in the trade magazines in October that "Greed" had been picked up by Fox. He seeks unspecified damages, charging fraud, conversion and breach of confidence.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 12:04:26 PM by chris319 »