Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker personal appearance  (Read 8658 times)

tvrandywest

Bob Barker personal appearance
« on: June 27, 2004, 04:14:00 AM »
I've been among the folks working with Paul Bailey and his team in helping to organize the "GSC3". There should be some fun sessions with some cool special guests, but all along the highlight has been the luncheon scheduled for Sunday, August 15 when awards will be given honoring Bill Cullen and Ralph Edwards.

Bill's wife Ann Cullen, Tom Kenendy and Jack Narz were among those previously confirmed by agent Fred Wostbrock. There's also been behind-the-scenes efforts to see if Bob Barker would consider speaking as well. Bob rarely attends these kinds of events, but we were hoping he'd consider participating in this honor to Ralph Edwards as Ralph is the person Bob most credits for his success. Ralph's son Gary made the overture.

Paul Bailey had a verbal committment a week ago, but we all agreed it wisest to wait until it was firm before even whispering about the possibility. While I haven't spoken directly to Paul recently, it appears that Bob's publicist has confirmed that Bob will appear. If true, way cool!

You can find out more about GSC3 at http://www.gameshowcongress.com/

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 04:20:43 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

inturnaround

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 04:40:54 AM »
Oh, to be able to be there!

It's a shame I can't, though. I'd love to see these legends tell stories of how TV used to be.

Well, here's hoping someone is there with a camcorder to capture this rare event. :)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Timsterino

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 07:35:04 AM »
I was at last year's GSC and I highly recommend it. Paul Bailey and the crew do a fine job. Our own Mike Burger has an awesome game that we played last year. I believe they are playing that same game tournament style this year.

I am getting back from London on 8/14, I may hop on another plane on 8/14 to come to the GSC. I hope to, I do not know for sure yet. It sounds like another great event this year.

Tim :-)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 07:36:05 AM by Timsterino »

mystery7

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 08:26:29 AM »
I'm hoping I won't miss it, but my 8 ball says "Outlook Not So Good" - fundage problems. I'll have to throw out an appeal to double, or maybe even triple or quadruple up with some others 'round Eastern Pennsylvania to soften the financial blow.

Now if the Congress met in New York, I'd definitely be there. SO much easier.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 11:19:43 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Jun 27 2004, 08:26 AM\'] Now if the Congress met in New York, I'd definitely be there. SO much easier. [/quote]
 I'm only beginning to get involved with the Game Show Congress people (hoping to have some small role in the Cullen tribute, of course) but my impression is that after moving it around for each of the first three years, there's some thought to keeping it in Southern California from this point on.  The idea of the awards is to honor living legends each year, and most of those legends will be LA based.  Plus being around LA will give participants opportunities to attend tapings, tryouts, etc.

Still, as much fun as our own Conventions have been over the years, the scale of this thing looks to be incredible.  Possibly hundreds of participants, loads of activities, and of course the famous guests.  If you're a serious game show fan, this ought to be a priority.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 02:18:36 PM »
The name still disgusts me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

inturnaround

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 02:23:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 27 2004, 02:18 PM\'] The name still disgusts me. [/quote]
 Yeah, Bob Barker is a pretty far-fetched name when you look at it.

Or were you referring to the Congreff? :)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 06:08:00 PM »
Still, as much fun as our own Conventions have been over the years, the scale of this thing looks to be incredible. Possibly hundreds of participants, loads of activities, and of course the famous guests.
One wonders how they're publicizing/marketing this thing other than through word of mouth. We would have given them free space right here for that very purpose had they but asked, right Matt?

L.A. is definitely the place to have this thing. I don't see a whole lotta game show professionals hopping on a plane for Boulder, Colorado for something like this.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 06:11:33 PM by chris319 »

mystery7

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 11:05:08 PM »
Frankly, I don't think of Boulder as much of a hot spot either. It's just that some of us, even those in TV, have to dig a little deeper than we're able to to fly cross-country to pitch our ideas. Now, if we could logistify some sort of sponsorships for us Bob Stewart or Mark Goodson hopefuls, it'd relieve a major burden. Another idea is an alternate method of getting game ideas out there. Those coming out to the Congress strictly for pleasure would be on their own.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 03:22:07 AM »
Supposedly people will be able to pitch ideas at this thing. If that's true, I have all kinds of concerns which I have expressed on this board before. To be brief about it, there exists the potential for exploiting people who have no industry savvy and no clout in the business.

And forget about being the next Mark Goodson or Bob Stewart. The era when someone could aspire to be the next M.G. or B.S. is long, long gone.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 03:25:18 AM by chris319 »

dickoon

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 08:33:50 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jun 27 2004, 07:23 PM\'] Or were you referring to the Congreff? :) [/quote]
He was indeed.

I have no doubt that Steve Beverly was involved in the naming of the event and is fully aware that we had been using the GSC abbreviation with pride for almost ten years for our twelve-strong-and-counting Game Show Convention series of events. He has never deigned to play with us and I regard his attempt to diminish our GSC tradition as, at best, an act in extremely poor faith.

Refusing to attend one of his events because of the name would be very much an act of nasectomy intended to spite your own face because the line-up looks irritatingly good, but I would hope that those who value our traditions would not deign any events apart from our own with the GSC tag. GSC' OK, GSC* OK, GSC: something different. You wouldn't accept it if he attempted to reclaim and repurpose the abbreviation atgs, would you?

This is, I freely admit, petty and childish. But he started it. (Add self-aware deprecatory emoticon to taste, if you must.)

Land wars have been started over less significant issues of nomenclature,
Chris

[Edited to correct typo in Prof. Steev's surname]
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 08:35:39 PM by dickoon »

aaron sica

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 09:07:18 PM »
As someone who has attended 3 Game Show Conventions ('96, '98, '04) and hosted two ('97, '03) I agree with Chris on both counts.

To pass up going to one simply because of the NAME would just be incredibly selfish and stupid, but I disagree with the name he has given it......It's not copyrighted or anything, obviously, but the initials "GSC" had a meaning in the game-show world long before Perf came along and changed it for his own use.

mmb5

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 10:14:00 PM »
[quote name=\'dickoon\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 07:33 PM\'] I have no doubt that Steve Beverly was involved in the naming of the event and is fully aware that we had been using the GSC abbreviation with pride for almost ten years for our twelve-strong-and-counting Game Show Convention series of events. He has never deigned to play with us and I regard his attempt to diminish our GSC tradition as, at best, an act in extremely poor faith.
 [/quote]
 You guys are going to have to get over yourselves.  Steve Beverly did not name it.  The man who did name it, Paul Bailey, is one of the nicest people you would ever meet and had no prior knowledge of a-t-gs.  

Believe it or not, there were game show fans who didn't use Usenet.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 10:26:33 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 09:14 PM\'] [quote name=\'dickoon\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 07:33 PM\'] I have no doubt that Steve Beverly was involved in the naming of the event and is fully aware that we had been using the GSC abbreviation with pride for almost ten years for our twelve-strong-and-counting Game Show Convention series of events. He has never deigned to play with us and I regard his attempt to diminish our GSC tradition as, at best, an act in extremely poor faith.
 [/quote]
You guys are going to have to get over yourselves.  Steve Beverly did not name it.  The man who did name it, Paul Bailey, is one of the nicest people you would ever meet and had no prior knowledge of a-t-gs.  

Believe it or not, there were game show fans who didn't use Usenet.

--Mike [/quote]
 I wonder why Paul didn't name it the Game Show Convention?  Convention sounds better than Congress.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 10:52:11 PM »
Considering that those who come/have come to prior Game Show Conventions would concentrate on the game shows of the past (at least in tournament gameplay), we should name any future gatherings as:

Game Show Nostalgists....Or GSN, for short.

<ducking>