Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: B&W Overnight 'replacements'  (Read 4249 times)

Winkfan

B&W Overnight 'replacements'
« on: June 23, 2004, 06:32:03 PM »
If GSN should actually lose the G-T library, what will they do with Black & White Overnight? I mean, they could keep the B&WO name, but they may have to get ANOTHER 'monochrome' game show to air in that time period. A most likely choice would be the Groucho version of You Bet Your Life.  But what else is out there, game show-wise?

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the Jaye P. Morgan of the Big Board!'
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 06:50:35 PM »
Losing G-T, would be the end of B&WO, but for discussion's sake, they could get "People Are Funny," that was on film and from the same producer as "Groucho."  Ernie Kovacs' ABC show of the '60's "Take a Good Look" was in syndication in the late '70s on some stations. There are scattered copies of "Dotto," "Twenty One" and "$64,000 Question."  I've seen clips from "Celebrity Game." in different places, don't know who has them.  After all that, I'd just go with an hour of Groucho or cancel the B&W block.  "Queen for a Day" is another possibility.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 07:04:32 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 07:44:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jun 23 2004, 03:32 PM\'] the Jaye P. Morgan of the Big Board!' [/quote]
 Does this mean we're about to be flashed? :-p

catnap1972

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 08:36:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jun 23 2004, 05:32 PM\'] If GSN should actually lose the G-T library, what will they do with Black & White Overnight? I mean, they could keep the B&WO name, but they may have to get ANOTHER 'monochrome' game show to air in that time period. A most likely choice would be the Groucho version of You Bet Your Life.  But what else is out there, game show-wise?
 [/quote]

I'd imagine that GSN would fill the hour with more infomercials.

It's rather surprising they haven't already.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 08:38:12 PM by catnap1972 »

Fedya

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 10:26:09 PM »
Maybe they could denature dreck like "Friend or Foe" and try to pass it off as new.  :-p
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

RMF

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 12:28:56 AM »
In theory, they could try to rerun Pantomime Quiz, as the UCLA Film Archive has around 100 or so episodes, mainly from the 1962-1963 ("Stump The Stars") run.

I have no clue how practical this would be, as 1) I have no clue who holds the rights (the Stokey estate?), and 2) not all of the surviving programs may be  suitable for broadcast.

uncamark

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 05:33:12 PM »
The awful truth, of course, is that if and when the G-T library license runs out, so does B&WO.  The fact that it's still on at all must be because Cronin likes it--but I don't know how long he can defend it against what I suspect is the less sentimental Valentine.

Don Howard

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 01:13:45 PM »
I'm guessing the original Break The Bank and Treasure Hunt no longer exist. If they're still around, those might be good ones.
Concentration would be a primo catch as well, but NBC probably won't surrender the tapes if they're even watchable.
Wouldn't mind the original Name That Tune either. Then we could all enjoy the magic of Red Benson and George DeWitt.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 01:22:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 01:13 PM\'] Wouldn't mind the original Name That Tune either. Then we could all enjoy the magic of Red Benson and George DeWitt. [/quote]
 Seems like there was another guy.  What was his name again?  Oh, yeah, that's right:

http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/Cullen/shows/nametune.html
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

RMF

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 04:26:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 12:13 PM\'] Wouldn't mind the original Name That Tune either. Then we could all enjoy the magic of Red Benson and George DeWitt. [/quote]
 There aren't nearly enough episodes of the 1950's version of "Name That Tune" that are known to survive. The UCLA Film Archive only has one (the Bill Cullen episode that is mentioned in Ottinger's link), MTR has two of the DeWitts, and tape traders have a fourth episode.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 04:32:00 PM »
[quote name=\'RMF\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 03:26 PM\'] [quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 12:13 PM\'] Wouldn't mind the original Name That Tune either. Then we could all enjoy the magic of Red Benson and George DeWitt. [/quote]
There aren't nearly enough episodes of the 1950's version of "Name That Tune" that are known to survive. The UCLA Film Archive only has one (the Bill Cullen episode that is mentioned in Ottinger's link), MTR has two of the DeWitts, and tape traders have a fourth episode. [/quote]
 Not to mention the music rights that would have to be obtained.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

RMF

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2004, 04:42:11 PM »
BTW, the UCLA Film Archive (where I've been getting most of the information I've used in this thread) is accessable here:

http://orion-1.library.ucla.edu/web2/tramp...int_version=new