Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Big Brother Is Back  (Read 9096 times)

Peter Sarrett

Big Brother Is Back
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2003, 04:22:51 AM »
The failure of The Mole mystifies me-- I thought it was fabulous.  It still had room for improvement, however, notably in the interview department.  One of the great things about Survivor is that the interviews are just beatifully shot.  They frame the player against good background scenery and edit the conversations extremely well to show the most interesting nuggets.  The Mole confessionals are horribly lit and rarely offer comments of real insight or interest.  The interviews are shot in hotels and don't probe very deeply at all into the player's thoughts.  The Survivor interviews are in-situ-- we have the illusion of a player taking a few moments from his normal in-game day to talk to us-- while the Mole and Amazing Race interviews are in comfy zones during breaks and convey no sense of the game still going on.  I think they'd be more interesting if they were shot at some of the locations where the activities are held.  That's virtually impossible with The Amazing Race, but would be extremely easy with The Mole.

I also wish The Amazing Race showed us more of what goes on during the pit stops, while players are socializing with each other.  I'd like to see the contestants in these more relaxed moments, instead of always on the go.

- Peter

cyberjoek

Big Brother Is Back
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2003, 08:44:55 PM »
The funny thing is that the mole doesn't do that badly in the ratings, better then Amazing Race does.  Why ABC keeps canceling it is beond me...
-Joe Kavanagh

davemackey

Big Brother Is Back
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2003, 05:09:13 PM »
Someone's already gotten kicked out the house for throwing furniture. That makes for compelling television, doesn't it?

Clay Zambo

Big Brother Is Back
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2003, 06:49:45 PM »
I watched the first ep of this season's \"Big Brother\"--mostly to find out what the \"x\" was--but that's it for me.  A big, fat \"Who cares?\"

\"Race\" is enjoyable, though Peter's analysis above is thorough--and, I hope, read by \"AR\"s producers.  I really disliked the first \"Mole,\" but enjoyed season 2 a lot.  The games were compelling, the show was classy all around.

-C
czambo@mac.com

ChuckNet

Big Brother Is Back
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2003, 01:38:53 AM »
Oh, and they've already had an explusion...following in the footsteps of Justin Sedik from BB2, Scott was ejected from the house on Sat for a violent outburst (tossing furniture and initially refusing to come to the Diary Room when summoned)...unlike his predecessor, however, he apologized to the other housemates, citing a condition that causes his erratic ways.

Wonder how they'll handle his departure on Tue's show...

Chuck Donegan (The Mildly-Curious \"Chuckie Baby\")

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Big Brother Is Back
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2003, 02:17:11 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jul 13 2003, 10:38 PM\'] Oh, and they've already had an explusion...following in the footsteps of Justin Sedik from BB2, Scott was ejected from the house on Sat for a violent outburst (tossing furniture and initially refusing to come to the Diary Room when summoned)...unlike his predecessor, however, he apologized to the other housemates, citing a condition that causes his erratic ways.

Chuck Donegan (The Mildly-Curious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 I dunno, but I SURE WANT TO THANK YOU for ruining it for the rest of us.

(Killfiles. My Kingdom for killfiles. This wouldn't have happened if I had a killfile.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cyberjoek

Big Brother Is Back
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2003, 02:21:43 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 01:17 AM\'] [quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jul 13 2003, 10:38 PM\'] Oh, and they've already had an explusion...following in the footsteps of Justin Sedik from BB2, Scott was ejected from the house on Sat for a violent outburst (tossing furniture and initially refusing to come to the Diary Room when summoned)...unlike his predecessor, however, he apologized to the other housemates, citing a condition that causes his erratic ways.

Chuck Donegan (The Mildly-Curious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
I dunno, but I SURE WANT TO THANK YOU for ruining it for the rest of us.

(Killfiles. My Kingdom for killfiles. This wouldn't have happened if I had a killfile.) [/quote]
 Um, Chris, Your anger should be at David, Steve Beverly, Jam! Showbiz report, CBS Press Express, and the production staff of big brother, they all pointed it out in public before Chuck.
-Joe Kavanagh

clemon79

Big Brother Is Back
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2003, 02:36:55 AM »
[quote name=\'cyberjoek\' date=\'Jul 13 2003, 11:21 PM\'] Um, Chris, Your anger should be at David, Steve Beverly, Jam! Showbiz report, CBS Press Express, and the production staff of big brother, they all pointed it out in public before Chuck.
-Joe Kavanagh [/quote]
 Um, no, just because they all spoiled it, doesn't mean Chuck needs to spread the virus here. Some of us don't need to scour for every ounce of TV news.

ChuckNet

Big Brother Is Back
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2003, 12:58:11 PM »
Um, no, just because they all spoiled it, doesn't mean Chuck needs to spread the virus here. Some of us don't need to scour for every ounce of TV news.

Well, I'm sorry, but I didn't think there'd be any problem posting it here since it technically already \"aired\" (via the net).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

davemackey

Big Brother Is Back
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2003, 02:14:32 PM »
I'm with you on this one, Chuck. Who the hell needs to watch the show when you've got John Powell doing a great job keeping us informed?

clemon79

Big Brother Is Back
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2003, 02:19:34 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 09:58 AM\'] Well, I'm sorry, but I didn't think [/quote]
 Damn skippy on that one.

since it technically already \"aired\" (via the net).

Other then \"as an extremely crappy excuse\", I don't see how you can make that claim. CBS's web site on the show doesn't say anything about anything that has happened past Friday's show. A working brain would figure out, I think, that if neither of the show's two main information outlets (the broadcast and the Web site) have made the information public, then there's a reason for that.

The fact is, you got a hold of this, and in your usual flat-out breakneck rush to be The First to post it here, you screwed up. Bottom line.

inturnaround

Big Brother Is Back
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2003, 03:42:57 PM »
Sorry you were spoiled, man...but it's mainstream news. It's not like a nomination or who wins HOH or Power of Veto...when someone is expelled in from the house, it becomes actual news. Actual news may spoil you, but I don't think it falls under the same category as say the Double Showcase Win of a few weeks ago.

The reason why the broadcast hasn't made it public is simple, they haven't had a broadcast since this happened on Saturday night. As for the website, I'm sure there is deep discussion as to what they will do or say about Scott and his problem. Perhaps they are consulting lawyers and wondering how much of his condition will be disclosed. It as valid a news story as when Justin was kicked out for holding the knife to Krista's neck. It's left the realm of game shows (or as the Professor calls them, game operas) and entered REAL LIFE. Once it does that, I think, all spoilers are off.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2003, 03:47:01 PM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Matt Ottinger

Big Brother Is Back
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2003, 04:26:56 PM »
Though this certainly falls into a gray area on the spoil-o-meter, I think the majority of us are siding with Chuck on this one.  This is mainstream news, not something that some people had access to before other people did.  We talk about mainstream news here.  The fact that this fell naturally into the flow of the thread and wasn't a separate announcement didn't help matters.  I think Chuck would have been smart enough to have put a new thread into Show Summaries.

If your enjoyment of The Julie Chen Show is somehow tarnished by knowing ahead of time that one of the pretty-boys had a hissy fit, I feel for you.  On the other hand, my understanding is that a lot of Big Brother fans WANT to be alerted to things that happened in the house so they can see how the events are covered on the show.  Either way, it's done, and at least 50% of your administrators do not see it as an egregious error on anybody's part.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ChuckNet

Big Brother Is Back
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2003, 06:06:31 PM »
The fact is, you got a hold of this, and in your usual flat-out breakneck rush to be The First to post it here, you screwed up. Bottom line.

I've never rushed to be the first to post anything, and as for my \"screwing up\", I'll admit in retrospect that the nature of the post might have been better suited to the \"show spoilers/summaries\" section, but I didn't view it as being along the same lines as revealing who got voted off this wk, who won the $500K, etc...it just seemed like mainstream news to me, as well as others who've voiced their opinions in this thread.

Anyway, if I somehow ruined your enjoyment of Tue's ep, I apologize, but my intention was solely to inform those BB4 viewers who might not have heard about it...I know you're not gonna agree w/me, but I simply thought I was posting news that was more-or-less already out there, thus eliminating the need for spoilers.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

clemon79

Big Brother Is Back
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2003, 06:22:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 14 2003, 01:26 PM\'] If your enjoyment of The Julie Chen Show is somehow tarnished by knowing ahead of time that one of the pretty-boys had a hissy fit, I feel for you. [/quote]
 Whatever. I'm not all that worked up about it anymore, but I do take umbrage with the above quote, alone with David's quote about \"who the hell needs to watch the show when...\" Those two lines suggest that it's okay to spoil the show because you guys don't particularly care for it, and that's a load of Grade-A crap. Amazing Race doesn't particularly float my boat, but that doesn't give me carte blanche to blow a spoiler for you guys.