Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PYL and TPIR readouts  (Read 8626 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2003, 11:44:21 AM »
What do you have against FH? That was one of my faves as a teenager. Anyway, Wipeout and Caesar's Challenge used this modification as well, albeit without the crossed zeros.

Nothing against FH itself, just one particular poster (who shall remain nameless) who tends to obsess over FH and a certain actress from an NBC show that airs the same night as FRIENDS (I think that prety much clears it up for everybody).  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2003, 11:46:10 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jul 11 2003, 08:36 AM\'] What's round in the one we're more accustomed to is square in the other.  I remember hearing that the two types emit light differently. [/quote]
 It says as much, and then makes a parenthetical comment that kinda discredits the statement, unfairly in my opinion, 'cuz it's dead right. Those ones that use square \"pixels\" are most definitely using LED's with light difusers in front of them (which is what produces the square pixel pattern.) The round ones are simply the illumination from the bulbs.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GS Warehouse

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2003, 04:19:49 PM »
[shrugs] Blankin' short-term memory.  Yes, I remember that Megan stalker from rec.arts.tv.  One question, though: who would want to stalk her ?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 04:20:00 PM by GS Warehouse »

PeterMarshallFan

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2003, 04:23:23 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jul 11 2003, 03:19 PM\'] [shrugs] Blankin' short-term memory.  Yes, I remember that Megan stalker from rec.arts.tv.  One question, though: who would want to stalk her ? [/quote]
 I just ran a quick check. Said stalker is here.

BrandonFG

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2003, 04:26:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 11:45 PM\']
Well, you weren't, tho, Chris has it right, that's a standard seven-segment display. To my way of thinking, a vane display has no lamps, instead, reflective pieces are moved in and out of view by electromagnetic impulse. (Think of the score readouts on 80's Pyramid, the clock above Summers' podium on Double Dare, the keypad on Check-Out on TPiR when they still had a Beauty entering in the numbers.)[/quote]
When you say electromagnetic, would you mean the type of display that you might see on the outside of a bank or something similar? What I'm thinking of is a display where you can actually see the segments \"slide\" back and forth as the numbers change.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PeterMarshallFan

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2003, 04:34:55 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 11 2003, 03:26 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 11:45 PM\']
Well, you weren't, tho, Chris has it right, that's a standard seven-segment display. To my way of thinking, a vane display has no lamps, instead, reflective pieces are moved in and out of view by electromagnetic impulse. (Think of the score readouts on 80's Pyramid, the clock above Summers' podium on Double Dare, the keypad on Check-Out on TPiR when they still had a Beauty entering in the numbers.)[/quote]
When you say electromagnetic, would you mean the type of display that you might see on the outside of a bank or something similar? What I'm thinking of is a display where you can actually see the segments "slide" back and forth as the numbers change. [/quote]
 Maybe you're thinking of solari boards. They were used on all the NY Pyramids, Big Showdown, Money Maze, etc.

BrandonFG

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2003, 04:43:23 PM »
Uh uh, I know it's not solari....I've seen those plenty of times in Penn Station. What I'm thinking of looks like vane displays, but they're not, according to Chris L.'s description. Another example that I thought of would be some speed limit signs, at least more \"advanced\" versions.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2003, 05:00:17 PM »
I just ran a quick check. Said stalker is here.
And therefore I suggest you all remember the rules about badmouthing fellow members.  Several of you know all too well that we allow any number of things outside of these happy little virtual walls, but around here we play nice.  Whether he's actually a weird troll playing a game or an unfortunate individual who really can't help himself, you can be sure that those sorts of messages won't stick around here long, so the best we can do is not waste more bandwidth talking about them.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2003, 06:44:29 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jul 11 2003, 03:30 AM\']So would I be correct in saying that the one bid readouts and Check out display are vane and the TPIR showcase podium and PYL readouts (similar to Wintution) are 7-segment lamp readouts?[/quote]
No, a vane is a flat piece of plastic, metal, wood or whatever. In the case of a readout it pivots. Do not confuse it with a segment, as in 7-segment readout.

One Bid and Showcase Showdown: 7-segment lamp (in the case of One Bid, light bulbs shining through colored fabric).

Former Checkout Game and SOTC '80s: 7-segment mechanical vane.

Showcase podiums, Race Game clock: lamp matrix or \"eggcrate\". Early versions were numeric-only, later versions alphanumeric with various fonts (accounting for the differences in character appearance).

There is an abundance of inaccurate information on the web page someone linked to.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 06:46:03 PM by chris319 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2003, 07:00:40 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 11 2003, 01:26 PM\'] When you say electromagnetic, would you mean the type of display that you might see on the outside of a bank or something similar? What I'm thinking of is a display where you can actually see the segments "slide" back and forth as the numbers change. [/quote]
 Yep, that's what I'm saying. In the case of a bank they are prolly moved by motor because speed isn't of the essence, but for game shows they need a little faster update, so they use electricity to get the individual pieces moving post haste.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2003, 10:06:40 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 11 2003, 05:44 PM\']There is an abundance of inaccurate information on the web page someone linked to.[/quote]
Mea culpa.  I wasn't aware of the abundance of inaccurate information on the site--it seemed like a pretty good resource at the time.

Mea double culpa about saying something sort of not nice about one member on this board, who again shall remain nameless.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the TTD90 room.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ryan Bugaj

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2003, 03:07:15 PM »
And as the proprietor of the aforementioned linked site, if there is inaccurate information, then please let me know what's inaccurate and how I can correct it.

It's been a while since I've done anything with the DFG, this might be a good time to get it up to the quality we expect (and deserve).

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2003, 03:15:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Ryan Bugaj\' date=\'Jul 12 2003, 12:07 PM\'] And as the proprietor of the aforementioned linked site, if there is inaccurate information, then please let me know what's inaccurate and how I can correct it.

It's been a while since I've done anything with the DFG, this might be a good time to get it up to the quality we expect (and deserve). [/quote]
 I already did that quite some time ago, I believe on ATGS. Try doing a Google Groups search and it might turn up.