Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PYL and TPIR readouts  (Read 8625 times)

cmjb13

PYL and TPIR readouts
« on: July 10, 2003, 07:45:22 PM »
What is the term used for the readouts on PYL and TPIR?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

PeterMarshallFan

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 07:48:55 PM »
Eggcrate.

Some TPiR games use digital-type displays called vanes, and the IUFB displays are sports-type.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 10:08:24 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 04:48 PM\'] and the IUFB displays are sports-type. [/quote]
 While I agree that that is the accepted term, I've never been fond of it. Really, the difference between that and an eggcrate is largely in the positioning of the lamps. (Also, I suppose, in that an eggcrate has more lamps so that it can form some letters along with numbers.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brandon Brooks

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 10:26:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 09:08 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 04:48 PM\'] and the IUFB displays are sports-type. [/quote]
While I agree that that is the accepted term, I've never been fond of it. Really, the difference between that and an eggcrate is largely in the positioning of the lamps. (Also, I suppose, in that an eggcrate has more lamps so that it can form some letters along with numbers.) [/quote]
 Well, not necessarily...

The lights are in a form or sorts as the bulbs are placed within this \"eight\" frame.  Eggcrates are just light bulbs that are turned on that make the numbers.

Does that make sense?

Brandon Brooks

clemon79

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 10:55:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 07:26 PM\'] The lights are in a form or sorts as the bulbs are placed within this "eight" frame.  Eggcrates are just light bulbs that are turned on that make the numbers.
Does that make sense?
 [/quote]
 Makes perfect sense. Seven segments, seven lights, diffuser on top of each one, like the old J! readouts before they went plasma. That's how the center-hanging board at KeyArena works.

But look at the One-Bid readouts. They're not seven-segment readouts in that sense. They appear to use two bulbs for each of the traditional seven segments, and then individual bulbs to connect the segments together where warranted. This is how the end-clocks are displayed at San Jose Arena.

I guess my point is that to call 'em \"sports-type\" is somewhat of a misnomer because sports facilities use all manner of readouts for displays.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 11:07:48 PM »
Nobody calls them \"sports type\". They're 7-segment lamp readouts, no fancy nickname.

Brandon Brooks

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 11:12:30 PM »
Makes perfect sense. Seven segments, seven lights, diffuser on top of each one, like the old J! readouts before they went plasma. That's how the center-hanging board at KeyArena works.
Yeah... vane displays.  I didn't know I was describing those, but in hindsight, I guess I was.

But look at the One-Bid readouts. They're not seven-segment readouts in that sense. They appear to use two bulbs for each of the traditional seven segments, and then individual bulbs to connect the segments together where warranted. This is how the end-clocks are displayed at San Jose Arena.
Now this is what I meant to explain.  They aren't digital vane displays; they are just bulbs that light up inside a frame.

I guess my point is that to call 'em \"sports-type\" is somewhat of a misnomer because sports facilities use all manner of readouts for displays.
I gotcha.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 11:13:39 PM by Brandon Brooks »

clemon79

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2003, 12:45:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 08:12 PM\'] Yeah... vane displays.  I didn't know I was describing those, but in hindsight, I guess I was.
 [/quote]
 Well, you weren't, tho, Chris has it right, that's a standard seven-segment display. To my way of thinking, a vane display has no lamps, instead, reflective pieces are moved in and out of view by electromagnetic impulse. (Think of the score readouts on 80's Pyramid, the clock above Summers' podium on Double Dare, the keypad on Check-Out on TPiR when they still had a Beauty entering in the numbers.) The toteboard we used for our CMN Telethon every year when I worked at the TV station was a vane.

cmjb13

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2003, 06:30:06 AM »
So would I be correct in saying that the one bid readouts and Check out display are vane and the TPIR showcase podium and PYL readouts (similar to Wintution) are 7-segment lamp readouts?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Brandon Brooks

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2003, 07:57:25 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 11:45 PM\'] [quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 08:12 PM\'] Yeah... vane displays.  I didn't know I was describing those, but in hindsight, I guess I was.
 [/quote]
Well, you weren't, tho, Chris has it right, that's a standard seven-segment display. To my way of thinking, a vane display has no lamps, instead, reflective pieces are moved in and out of view by electromagnetic impulse. (Think of the score readouts on 80's Pyramid, the clock above Summers' podium on Double Dare, the keypad on Check-Out on TPiR when they still had a Beauty entering in the numbers.) The toteboard we used for our CMN Telethon every year when I worked at the TV station was a vane. [/quote]
 Well, there are some light vane displays, like one that used to be on HS and DD2003.  I was actually thinking of the \"flip\" type when I was writing the messages though.

Brandon Broks

Chelsea Thrasher

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2003, 09:13:49 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jul 11 2003, 05:30 AM\'] So would I be correct in saying that the one bid readouts and Check out display are vane and the TPIR showcase podium and PYL readouts (similar to Wintution) are 7-segment lamp readouts? [/quote]
 Maybe I've had a bit too much to drink, but I thought that the displays on PYL were Eggcrate....or did I miss something here

cmjb13

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2003, 09:32:49 AM »
Maybe I should have made myself more clear.

I should say \"digit display\". Not the green colored background, but the style of numbers used on PYL and TPIR Showcase.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2003, 11:09:12 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jul 11 2003, 08:32 AM\']Maybe I should have made myself more clear.

I should say \"digit display\". Not the green colored background, but the style of numbers used on PYL and TPIR Showcase.[/quote]
Actually, there are a several different \"Eggcrate\" variants.  One is the variant used on the Showcase, the Money Cards (70s/80s versions), the score readout on P+, etc., etc.  Another variant is the one used on (forgive me for saying this) FUN HOUSE, distinguishable by the 4 being closed rather than open (a la the Ferrenti display on FF)--although most of the rest of the numbers carry the same traits as the Showcase/Money Cards version (the 2 taking a circuitous route to the lower left hand corner instead of a straight diagonal, the 3 rounded at the top instead of a straight line and the 0 has a line through it to distinguish it from an O).

This web page has a little more information:

Display Field Guide

It's not the \"be all, end all\", as even within the displays mentioned there could be slight variations.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

GS Warehouse

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2003, 11:36:08 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jul 11 2003, 10:09 AM\'] Another variant is the one used on (forgive me for saying this) FUN HOUSE, distinguishable by the 4 being closed rather than open (a la the Ferrenti display on FF)--although most of the rest of the numbers carry the same traits as the Showcase/Money Cards version (the 2 taking a circuitous route to the lower left hand corner instead of a straight diagonal, the 3 rounded at the top instead of a straight line and the 0 has a line through it to distinguish it from an O). [/quote]
 What do you have against FH?  That was one of my faves as a teenager.  Anyway, Wipeout and Caesar's Challenge used this modification as well, albeit without the crossed zeros.

Two other notes: the DFG points out there were two different versions of the Eggcrate.  What's round in the one we're more accustomed to is square in the other.  I remember hearing that the two types emit light differently.  Also, the latter type (think the old Family Channel's interactive games) is more capable of letters, which we saw in the latter seasons of Debt.  The classic type could be adjusted to display just one letter per unit (like V or T).

PeterMarshallFan

PYL and TPIR readouts
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2003, 11:42:26 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jul 11 2003, 10:36 AM\'] What do you have against FH?
<snip> [/quote]
 There's a Usenet troll who

A) Stalks Megan Mullaly of \"Will and Grace\"

B) Makes idiotic posts about Fun House, esp. the cheerleaders (\"Anyone remember Jackie and Sammi Forrest the cheerleaders on Fun House\")

C) All of the above