Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Host introductions  (Read 13583 times)

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
Host introductions
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2004, 10:29:33 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 01:19 PM\'] From the $ale of the Century files, both here and Down Under:

"And now, here's the star of our show...Jim Perry!" - Jay Stewart and Don Morrow

"And now, here's the King of Quiz, Tony Barber!" - from a 1990 episode, announcer unknown

"Say hello to Glenn Ridge!" - from a 2001 episode [/quote]
 The Aussie announcer's name was Peter Smith.

He also introduced Glenn Ridge thusly:

"...and here's the star of the Sale, Glenn Ridge." -1994 episode

"...and now it's good evening to Glenn Ridge." -1998 episode

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

adamjk

Host introductions
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2004, 10:34:59 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 09:29 PM\'] Have there any other game shows besides WWTBAM and Weakest Link where the host isn't introduced at all? [/quote]
Only two other game shows have done this, and it only happened once on one show. I am speaking of course of the incident on Price is Right a short time ago, where Bob's name was never announced.

The other show to do this is the aforementioned Street Smarts.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 10:36:24 PM by adamjk »

Winkfan

Host introductions
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2004, 11:12:07 PM »
Have there any other game shows besides WWTBAM and Weakest Link where the host isn't introduced at all?
You can count BOTH versions of Twenty-One; I think Jack Barry introduced himself on the original version and then described what happened so far to the show's champion, just as Maury did on the 2000 version.

And how can you all forget:

Now, here's 'America's #1 Clockwatcher'.....Bud Collyer! (Beat the Clock)

And our moderator, another famous name, Robert Q. Lewis/Dennis James! (The Name's the Same)

Now here's the man who has everyone talking.....Wayne Cox! (Talkabout)

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the Fannie Flagg of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:48:12 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Host introductions
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2004, 11:34:09 PM »
"...and now it's good evening to Glenn Ridge." -1998 episode

Yet another quirk to Aussie and UK game shows is that their announcers basically participate in public small talk - the majority of them not seeming to "announce" anything. :) No offense, I did like John Deeks on Aussie WoF among others, but your general intro may go something like "Ta, it's Thursday here on $ale and today we have a doozy of a car" and blah blah blah.

So for example, Rob Elliott was introduced similarly on WoF, "now for a Thursday, here's the star of our show...here's Roooooooooobbbb Elliott!"

FK and MtG were two more shows that did the pun thing before the hosts were introduced. "Malcolm" introduced Alex Trebek as his "good buddy" and "the man with all the questions."

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

Host introductions
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2004, 03:55:26 AM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 09:34 PM\'] [quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 09:29 PM\'] Have there any other game shows besides WWTBAM and Weakest Link where the host isn't introduced at all? [/quote]
Only two other game shows have done this, and it only happened once on one show. I am speaking of course of the incident on Price is Right a short time ago, where Bob's name was never announced.

The other show to do this is the aforementioned Street Smarts. [/quote]
 Quicksilver and Free-4-All.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Craig Karlberg

Host introductions
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2004, 04:39:51 AM »
As far as WOF goes, if Pat & Vanna are the stars, shouldn't they be introed as "co-stars"?  After all, Pat does his job as host while Vanna does hers at the puzzleboard.  Maybe I'm stretching things a bit there.

HairMetalLives

Host introductions
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2004, 05:43:10 AM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 12:49 PM\'] And what show was it where the host actually introduced himself? It may be Quicksilver, but I don't think it was. [/quote]
Wil Shriner, host of the dismally cheap "Small Talk," played announcer as well.

"And here's your host (insert comment here)...  Me."
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 05:43:47 AM by HairMetalLives »

Clay Zambo

Host introductions
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2004, 09:38:02 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 08:40 PM\'] I was going to mention this one under the best openings...I still like the TTTT7X with the sliding doors, and Bill Wendell's "Ladies and gentlemen .... Garry Moore!" and out he strides for the introduction. No mention of the title of the show (except on the wall behind him), no host or star...but you never doubted what show you were watching. [/quote]
 Well, the title was in the theme song, wasn't it?  (Or am I thinking of the wrong version?)
czambo@mac.com

Ian Wallis

Host introductions
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2004, 10:43:41 AM »
"Ladies and gentlemen....Ahmad Raschad"  (Caesar's Challenge)

Interesting that the first three hosts of "Card Sharks" (Jim, Bob, Bill) were all introduced as "host".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Host introductions
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2004, 11:30:03 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jun 21 2004, 01:39 AM\'] As far as WOF goes, if Pat & Vanna are the stars, shouldn't they be introed as "co-stars"?  After all, Pat does his job as host while Vanna does hers at the puzzleboard.  Maybe I'm stretching things a bit there. [/quote]
 They are, correctly, referred to in the open as "your host and hostess."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Host introductions
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2004, 11:33:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Jun 21 2004, 06:38 AM\'] Well, the title was in the theme song, wasn't it?  (Or am I thinking of the wrong version?) [/quote]
 No, you have the right version, that was the cheesy psychadelic 60's version, but it would have been hard to make the words out over the celebs being introduced. You'd hear 'em fine in the end credits, provided there was no local voice-over instructing you to "stay tuned for the Diamond Head Game, coming up next!" :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

Host introductions
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2004, 12:00:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jun 21 2004, 10:43 AM\'] Interesting that the first three hosts of "Card Sharks" (Jim, Bob, Bill) were all introduced as "host". [/quote]
 What about Pat Bullard?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

uncamark

Host introductions
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2004, 12:15:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Jun 21 2004, 08:38 AM\'][quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 08:40 PM\'] I was going to mention this one under the best openings...I still like the TTTT7X with the sliding doors, and Bill Wendell's "Ladies and gentlemen .... Garry Moore!" and out he strides for the introduction. No mention of the title of the show (except on the wall behind him), no host or star...but you never doubted what show you were watching. [/quote]
Well, the title was in the theme song, wasn't it?  (Or am I thinking of the wrong version?)[/quote]
In the opening, for Garry's intro, the music was just the "bah bah bah bah bah bah bahhhh...."  The regular theme came with the panel intro.

However, during the years of the last set, there was a logo graphic on the screen during Garry's intro--along with the logo on the set and the little men mascots on the wall.

And you can add Arte Johnson on "Knockout" on the list of hosts that didn't get an intro--he opened the show with a mini-monologue on a darkened set with him in closeup and then tossed it to Jay Stewart for the contestant intros.

And Barker was always introed on "T or C" as star--"And now, ladies and gentlemen, here's the star of our show, BOB BARKER!"--and then (in the later years) the flashing light panels parted and he walked out to the triumphant final notes of the theme from that British session musician orchestra.  To which Barker would then bring out the first group of contestants to noodling from Dave Bacal's Hammond.  (At least the music was better when Hal Hidey took over.)

Back in radio days, the one "T or C" I've heard and remember introed Ralph Edwards as "that Duzzy guy himself" (a reference to the sponsor, Duz detergent).  When Edwards filled in for Barker in 1973, Charles Lyon's intro was "and now, filling in for Bob Barker, the originator of 'Truth or Consequences,' back to pay the consequences after after 20 years, Ralph Edwards!"

Jimmy Owen

Host introductions
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2004, 12:33:17 PM »
On one of the audio tapes I have of Password '75 (post-All Stars), Allen introduces himself sans music.  "Hi, I'm Allen Ludden.  These are your contestants, who'll be playing today with Jack Klugman and Juliet Mills.  And the name of your game is, of course, Password!" cue music, etc.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jay Temple

Host introductions
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2004, 09:53:44 PM »
I'll just address the two in the thread title, "star" and "host."  With rare exceptions, on a good show, the host is just that, the host, and the contestants are the stars.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.