Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Host introductions  (Read 13579 times)

SamJ93

Host introductions
« on: June 20, 2004, 01:03:36 PM »
Obviously, since Bob Barker is now the major driving force behind TPiR and has been for a while, he probably deserves to be introduced as "the *star* of The Price is Right."  But I also found it interesting that Johnny O. introduced him as the "star" rather than just the "host" from day one, as well--almost as if the producers foresaw the show's popularity...

I realize I'm getting into silly minutae, again, but it seems most shows usually introduce the host as simply that--"the host of so-and-so"...what other shows have introduced their host as the seemingly more positive "star" of the show?  The only other one I can think of off the top of my head is "Family Feud."

Broadening the topic a little, what shows have introduced the host as anything other than the host?  I can think of the original HS ("the master of the Hollywood Squares") and LMaD ("TV's Big Dealer")...any others?

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Jimmy Owen

Host introductions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 01:15:02 PM »
I read somewhere (TV Guide, maybe) that hosts usually had an option on how they are introduced. Variations include "Here he is, the one, the only....GROUCHO" Then there was "the man who will guide you through next 30 mins of TTD....PW."  IIRC on "Time Machine," it was just "...here's John Davidson."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

GS Warehouse

Host introductions
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 01:25:03 PM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 01:03 PM\'] Broadening the topic a little, what shows have introduced the host as anything other than the host?  I can think of the original HS ("the master of the Hollywood Squares") and LMaD ("TV's Big Dealer")...any others? [/quote]
"Here's the man who gives everybody a Second Chance, Jim Peck!"

"And here's the man with all the action, Wink Martindale!"

"It's his basement, it's his rules, it's his game show!  The quizmaster of 72 Whooping Cough Lane, Ken Ober!"

"And now, here's the guy who puts the fun in Fun House, J.D. Roth!"

"And here's the Dean of College Mad House, Greeeeeeeg Kinnear!"

"Ladies and gentleman, Mark L. Walberg."

And finally, you could list the many different ways Bennett Cerf intro'd John Charles Daly on WML?.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 01:25:26 PM by GS Warehouse »

dzinkin

Host introductions
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 01:26:54 PM »
Battlestars: "And here's the man in command... Alex Trebek!"

High Rollers: "And here's the man with the action... Alex Trebek!"

I'm sure there are others, but these are two that came to mind right off the bat.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 01:27:07 PM by dzinkin »

adamjk

Host introductions
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 01:43:27 PM »
Match Game (70's): With the Star of Match Game(7x, PM) Gene Rayburn!

dzinkin

Host introductions
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2004, 01:49:28 PM »
Cross-Wits... "And here's the keeper of the Cross-Wits, Jack Clark!"

tyshaun1

Host introductions
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004, 01:49:30 PM »
"Here's your host.........the star of Press Your Luck, Peter Tomarken!"

"Ladies and Gentlemen, here's your host, the star of Wipeout, Peter Tomarken!"

Peter's ego apparently inflated over time.;)

"And here's Tom Bergeron!"

"Here's your host, the star of (insert Chuck Barris show), (insert Barris show host)!"

And what show was it where the host actually introduced himself? It may be Quicksilver, but I don't think it was.

Don Howard

Host introductions
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004, 01:58:09 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 12:43 PM\'] Match Game (70's): With the Star of Match Game(7x, PM) Gene Rayburn! [/quote]
 For the first year of Match Game '7x, Gene was introduced as "the host". He was upgraded to "star" sometime in 1974.

tommycharles

Host introductions
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2004, 03:01:01 PM »
Somewhere I read (and it may well have been the Gil Fates book, I'm not sure) that Larry Blyden requested to be introduced as "host" because he felt that the term "star" should be reserved for well, stars.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Host introductions
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2004, 03:08:49 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 12:49 PM\'] And what show was it where the host actually introduced himself? It may be Quicksilver, but I don't think it was. [/quote]
 Believe it or not, Annie Wood introduced herself on the dating show "BZZZZZZZZZZ", that aired during the mid-90's.

TV Favorites

Host introductions
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004, 03:10:47 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 02:01 PM\'] Somewhere I read (and it may well have been the Gil Fates book, I'm not sure) that Larry Blyden requested to be introduced as "host" because he felt that the term "star" should be reserved for well, stars. [/quote]
 Isn't there a similar story like that for Alex Trebek's introductions?  He's always been the "host" on every show of his I have seen.  I seem to recall reading that he prefers to be called "host" and doesn't feel worthy for the "star" title.

joelvanderveen

Host introductions
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2004, 03:45:56 PM »
It appears that at one point on "Just Men!", Betty White introduced herself as the hostess. (According to the clip from Brad Francini's site, anyhow.)

TheInquisitiveOne

Host introductions
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2004, 04:19:06 PM »
From the $ale of the Century files, both here and Down Under:

"And now, here's the star of our show...Jim Perry!" - Jay Stewart and Don Morrow

"And now, here's the King of Quiz, Tony Barber!" - from a 1990 episode, announcer unknown

"Say hello to Glenn Ridge!" - from a 2001 episode

Also, weren't there some quips from the last season of Family Feud that irritated some of us on here, including yours truly?

By the way, the word "star" for TPiR was not just reserved for Mr. Barker:

"And now, here's the star of The (Nighttime or New) Price is Right, Dennis James/Tom Kennedy/Doug Davidson!" - Olson, Roddy, and Richardson

The Inquisitive One, signing off...
This is the Way.

adamjk

Host introductions
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2004, 05:24:43 PM »
You can add the late Gene Wood to the above list of announcers that did the nighttime Price shows.

Allso, here's one from the current Wheel: "Here are the stars of our show: Pat Sajak and Vanna White!" That comes from Charlie O Donnell of course. Before they had returning champs, Pat would be introduced alone like this: "And now here's your host, Pat Sajak!"

MCArroyo1

Host introductions
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2004, 06:23:05 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 12:49 PM\'] And what show was it where the host actually introduced himself? It may be Quicksilver, but I don't think it was. [/quote]
 You may be thinking of Chris Harrison on GSN's "Mall Masters."