Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wish you were here  (Read 1031 times)

whewfan

Wish you were here
« on: June 20, 2004, 06:59:59 AM »
Anyone ever see this show, which was shortly after Lew hosted Make the Grade, but before having more success as producer of Everybody Loves Raymond?

It was basically a mock travelog where Lew  traveled in areas around the world, and basically goofs off. The premise was,  his character was making videos for his family.

The opening was a parody of The Cosby Show, with Lew dancing infront of a dull gray background as the opening credits roll. Unfortunately, that was the only funny part of the series. The joking around and goofing off Lew does misfires as much as some of his ad-libs on Make the Grade.
 Granted, Lew was a far better host of Make the Grade than Robb Edward Morris, but I just saw some earlier eps. of Make the Grade, and Lew was trying way too hard to be funny and was ill at ease. The unresponsive audience didn't help much either.  He's definitely more relaxed in later shows, and as a result, is more entertaining to watch. (I'm not saying he's a barrel of laughs, but some of his dry wit can be enjoyable)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Wish you were here
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 11:38:45 AM »
The unresponsive audience didn't help much either.

There wasn't a live studio audience until the Florida tapings IIRC.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

GS Warehouse

Wish you were here
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 01:14:16 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 11:38 AM\']
The unresponsive audience didn't help much either.

There wasn't a live studio audience until the Florida tapings IIRC. [/quote]
 And even then, I'm sure the audience was sweetened.  Some of Robb's jokes (if you can call them that) would surely go over the audience's heads.  (I caught most of them, but I was 15 when he took over.)

"Something that is buoyant floats in water.  But something that is girlant is half ant and half girl."

Back on-topic, I actually did see an episode of WYWH.  Even then, I knew this was a clunker.