Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! -- Why Bother Watching?  (Read 7929 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Jeopardy! -- Why Bother Watching?
« on: June 18, 2004, 01:55:24 AM »
Why bother watching Jeopardy!? You know who's going to win. There is no competition, no suspense, no dramma, no reason to watch. Why bother bringing out two challengers? They might as well turn off their signalling buttons and send them home. When the score is $20,000 to $2,000 to $1,000, why bother playing Final Jeopardy!? Just double Ken's money and run a few extra commercials to pay for it.

Seeing Ken win yet another $30,000 doesn't give me wood, sorry.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 01:58:25 AM by chris319 »

adamjk

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 01:59:01 AM »
Oh come on. You gotta be a little excited the higher he goes.

tvrandywest

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 02:04:24 AM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 17 2004, 09:59 PM\'] Oh come on. You gotta be a little excited the higher he goes. [/quote]
 You talkin' about Ken, or Chris' wood?

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

adamjk

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 02:08:37 AM »
I'm not even going there.

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 02:41:13 AM »
Chris and his chill pill...

(In a Barker voice) C'MONNNN...WE'RE ON THE VERGE OF MAKING PRIC..*I MEAN*...JEOPARDY HISTORY!!!
-Sanford

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 03:13:22 AM »
Yeah, it's a real drag, plus he's bordering on obnoxious.  What they need to do is find out in which categories he is weakest and load up on those.  Or offer him a job on the show if he would just lose.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Frank15

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 03:14:12 AM »
I find suspense.  He's been in a little danger a couple of shows; he's clearly not completely invincible.  Give him a bit of an off day, with a final Jeopardy! question he doesn't know, and we could have a new champion yet.  Heck, those days get the most tense:  can he still hold on to that title of champion?  All it takes is one off day for him, or one particularly tough challenger, to dethrone him.

J.R.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 03:16:28 AM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 12:59 AM\'] Oh come on. You gotta be a little excited the higher he goes. [/quote]
I believe Chris is just a being a little sarcastic. I think he wants us to defend why we should bother watching "Jeopardy!" if Ken is just going to smoke his opponents away like firewood.

Well, I really don't care if he wins or loses. He's a cool guy in my book. Despite winning all these games, he doesn't come off as smug and self-congraditory like some long-time champs on shows.

If he wins, I'll go "Ah, good for him ! What a score !". If he loses, I'll go "Ah, oh well ! Hell of a run. Spend the cash well !"

EDIT: I also like to see him win at least one more time tomorrow. So we can see if our own Matt Ottinger is the inevitable one that does the Biblical Task of bringing down the Jennings Juggernaut.

I'm sure in 1980. Some people were saying the same thing about Thom McKee. ("Why bother wasting time with a challenger, just give him $1000 and a car and just slay the dragon and give him another $1000 and some vacation somewhere...")
-Joe R.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 03:36:06 AM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

S2X

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 03:31:53 AM »
I have caught his last two shows.  To me, I am just simply in awe that he's been able to win so handily.  Maybe if I watched his run from day one, I would be a bit more bored and/or not as thrilled to see him win.  For me right now though, I'd like to see how far Ken takes this run.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 03:54:15 AM »
Thom was a handsome, intelligent man in a uniform. Can't get any better than that.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 04:10:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 02:54 AM\'] Thom was a handsome, intelligent man in a uniform. Can't get any better than that. [/quote]
Some would say a handsome, intelligent man without anything on would be better.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 11:36:03 AM by Brandon Brooks »

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 04:43:34 AM »
With all this talk on Ken's amazing run, it's no wonder I started my own Ken Jennings Watch last week after his 6th victory.  When he finally loses, that's where my watch will end at that point.

tvwxman

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 07:52:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 03:43 AM\'] With all this talk on Ken's amazing run, it's no wonder I started my own Ken Jennings Watch last week after his 6th victory.  When he finally loses, that's where my watch will end at that point. [/quote]
 Well thank heavens then. Someone alert the media.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

inturnaround

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 08:07:36 AM »
Heck, since most of the time I don't even know the contestants, I don't have someone to root for. This time I do.

Getting there is half the fun.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 08:08:15 AM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

tvwxman

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 08:46:21 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 07:07 AM\'] Heck, since most of the time I don't even know the contestants, I don't have someone to root for. This time I do.

Getting there is half the fun. [/quote]
 Which is why monday's show will be doubly interesting!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"