Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Squares 91/92 Scenario?  (Read 4652 times)

cmjb13

Hollywood Squares 91/92 Scenario?
« on: July 10, 2003, 08:22:54 AM »
3 questions.

If Hollywood Squares had gotten off the ground in 91 or 92, do you think the version would still be on?

And whom do you think would have been chosen as host?

Would Whoopi still have been top choice for center square? (I'm not sure if she knew the hollywood bigwigs back then)
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 08:26:42 AM »
If Hollywood Squares had gotten off the ground in 91 or 92, do you think the version would still be on?
No.  I just don't think it would have lasted that long.

And whom do you think would have been chosen as host?
Beats me.  Hopefully not John Davidson again.

Would Whoopi still have been top choice for center square? (I'm not sure if she knew the hollywood bigwigs back then)
Probably not, even though she coming into her own.

Brandon Brooks

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 08:42:31 AM »
John was still doing Pyramid at the start of the 1991-92 season, so assuming Squares would have been syndicated, they'd have to have picked another host most likely. John's Pyramid gig probably in part happened because of Dick's hosting/producing gig on the Challengers at the time.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 09:02:35 AM »
Was that the attempt to rename the show \"Planet Hollywood Squares\"?  If so, Roseanne would have been the drawing card on that one.  Whoopi was by no means an unknown at that time, having just won an Oscar(tm) for \"Ghost,\" and co-hosting a couple of \"Comic Relief\" telethons.  In 91, Whoopi was very busy, however with her recurring role on \"Star Trek: The Next Generation,\" various movies and in 92, her daily syndicated talk show.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 09:12:39 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 09:22:40 AM »
Merrill Heatter and Roseanne were to co-produce Planet HS, and that project was announced in 1995 or 1996, and was reported in ATGS.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 03:38:55 PM »
Probably not...91 and 92 wasn't a good period for game shows. Talk shows were starting to become the \"next big thing\" on TV. For some reason, I think had the show come back in 91, it wouldn't have been as \"stylish\" as it is today, it probably would've been more \"zany,\" like the late 80s version.

I doubt Bergeron would've been a host, but Marc Summers or John Tesh might've still been considered.

As for Whoopi, she still had a bit of a movie career left in her about this time; Sister Act came about in 1992, and I remember her having her own short lived talk show that year.  So it's safe to say she probably wouldn't have been center square, but maybe a semi-reg.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!