Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Goodson-Todman Library Expiring?  (Read 12367 times)

CaseyAbell

Goodson-Todman Library Expiring?
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2004, 10:39:28 AM »
All I said is that I wish ill upon them for giving us the shaft. I think we're screwed as far as their programming.
We're shafted and screwed at the same time? Wow, "we" got it real bad...or real good, depending on how you like your...jollies.

I know it's silly, but I'm really tired of this "we" business. A poster speaks for exactly one person, not for everybody else or anybody else. I've liked five of the new offerings on GSN: Blackjack, Celeb Mole, Dog Eat Dog, Street Smarts and Dodgeball. All but Mole and Dodgeball are traditional game shows, and those two don't fall very far outside the genre.

Which is only my opinion, of course. I don't demand or fantasize that "we" agree with me.

adamjk

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2004, 04:22:52 PM »
I don't want GSN to fail. I hope it stays for a long time to come. Where else will you find Richard Dawson and Ray Combs Family Feud back to back, or Match Game with Gene Rayburn?  Just be grateful we have what we have. So they split screen the closings, so what? Just be happy the meat of the show is still there. Besides there are times when the closing of some shows can be seen in full. My advice? Enjoy what is there while you still have the chance. If you don't, you'll wish you had when it's gone.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 04:23:52 PM by adamjk »

toddyo

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2004, 12:27:17 AM »
Music clearance????

Gimme a break.   GSN probably pays the normal ASCAP/BMI license.  With that, they could play anything. The songs used were used with permission of the composer.

Tell me a composer that wouldn't want paid for a piece of music?

With the purchase of Universal, NBC owns Trio.  What a great place for gameshows!

uncamark

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2004, 03:23:20 PM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 11:27 PM\']Music clearance????

Gimme a break.   GSN probably pays the normal ASCAP/BMI license.  With that, they could play anything. The songs used were used with permission of the composer.[/quote]
It's my understanding that the music clearance issues are the obligation of the production company.  MGP took care of all music clearance issues before the G-T/MGP library was shipped to GSN--and the original music on those shows is almost entirely owned by Fremantle in the first place.

As stated many times before, the reason for the credits squeezebacks is purely and simply to promo programming and catch the viewers' eye before they reach for the remote and change the channel.  That's the reason for all squeezebacks and split screens in the first place, and it's just a more intrusive version of the network booth announcer reading promos over the credits music, as they did for years and years on the broadcast networks.  Most people don't give a flying fig about credits, unfortunately.

When it's bad is when GSN zips into the squeezeback before we get the outtakes at the end of "Squares" or on "Street Smarts."  They don't notice that, but they don't squeezeback on "Kenny vs. Spenny" because the humiliation plays out over the credits.  Strange.

Which leads me to something else--shouldn't the production companies on originals expect that their logos are shown full-screen?  If I were Mark Cronin, I wouldn't be happy that the Mindless logo is down there in the corner on "Extreme Dodgeball"'s crawl--although, personally, not having to hear that musical signature (the work of Jon "Piano Boy" Ernst, I assume) is OK by me.

zachhoran

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2004, 07:45:50 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jul 4 2004, 02:23 PM\']

When it's bad is when GSN zips into the squeezeback before we get the outtakes at the end of "Squares" or on "Street Smarts." [/quote]
 Don't forget them zapping out the quickie deals at the end of LMAD in a similar manner.

HairMetalLives

« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2004, 08:48:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 06:37 PM\'] ...and your opinion demonstrates a ignorance about how the industry works. [/quote]
 Maybe not an ignorance, but you're right: I don't know how it works. But I'm willing to learn.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2004, 09:50:12 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jul 4 2004, 05:48 PM\'] Maybe not an ignorance, but you're right: I don't know how it works. But I'm willing to learn. [/quote]
 Then go back and reread this entire thread. If, after that, you still want GSN to tank, well, then at least your opinion is based on some semblance of consideration.

It would still be the opinion of an idiot, but at least you'd be an informed one.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2004, 02:40:39 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jul 4 2004, 02:23 PM\'] Most people don't give a flying fig about credits, unfortunately.
 [/quote]
 Question: I know there's people who might be irritated by the credits, just from judging by posts here as well as various newsgroups, but they might not know how to go about complaining. Is there any feasible method that could let the networks know that many viewers are turned off? Or could the unions have any say in the matter?

ObGameShow: GSN's squeezed credits are a bit TOO excessive. Is the animation of the GSN logo really necessary?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2004, 03:08:33 AM »
It's my belief virtually no casual viewer wants to see credits on TV, they are a cue to switch channels. I would prefer to see them because I can find out who worked on the show and hear the theme play out. The people who work on the show get a paycheck, and that, I would guess, is better than an on screen credit.  My compromise idea would be for GSN to post the major credits for each series on the individual show's page on the website, of course we don't get the theme playout, but we're not getting that now anyway.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 03:17:38 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

catnap1972

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2004, 08:08:45 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jul 4 2004, 02:23 PM\'] As stated many times before, the reason for the credits squeezebacks is purely and simply to promo programming and catch the viewers' eye before they reach for the remote and change the channel. [/quote]
 In GSN's case, they've long since left by the time the credits roll

(ducking)