Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Goodson-Todman Library Expiring?  (Read 12466 times)

TV Favorites

Goodson-Todman Library Expiring?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2004, 08:25:17 PM »
I don't think so...if that was the case, why are Blockbusters, Card Sharks, and the B&W Classics still on the schedule?  From what I heard, GSN renewed GT package in 2002 for all the shows.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2004, 09:02:18 PM »
[quote name=\'kirkmorgan\' date=\'Jun 14 2004, 04:22 PM\'] GSN,Couldn't make it without the GT library ,and if they have any brains they'll realize  just how true that is! [/quote]
 Wow.

Perhaps you've noticed that the only G/T shows of any renoin among Joe Average they air now are MG and FF. (Sorry, overnight folks, but you and I both know that they could cancel that block and the effect would be completely negligible on their overall viewership.). They could VERY EASILY lose the G/T library, fill in the blanks with a few reality shows (although I question paying ANY coin for Next Action Star when it hasn't even aired in FIRST RUN yet), and the average viewer wouldn't notice.

(An aside: I _was_ excited about Extreme Dodgeball. Then this morning I found out Jerri "Jerribitch" Manthey of Survivor fame was the host. I found this out because she was doing a phoner with the local morning radio crew I listen to. So I switched to Howard Stern. Through the miracle of tape delay, Jerri Manthey was on with Howard pimping Extreme Dodgeball.

It was an unpleasant ride to work this morning.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2004, 09:16:10 PM »
If I were running GSN, I would renew the G-T library, but only schedule MG, FF and maybe CS in the daytime. Meanwhile in my office, my secretary would hold all calls while I watch NYSI, BTC and the rest via intraoffice closed circuit.  I'll just tell Liberty and Sony I'm "reviewing possible additions."  To keep my job, primetime would be reserved for the Dodgeballs, Blackjacks and Kenny v. Spennys and other potential ratings grabbers.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2004, 10:55:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 14 2004, 09:02 PM\'] (An aside: I _was_ excited about Extreme Dodgeball. Then this morning I found out Jerri "Jerribitch" Manthey of Survivor fame was the host. ... [/quote]
Actually, Jerri is the sideline reporter, like Michele Tafoya is at the NBA Finals and will be to Monday Night Football next season.  (Yes, Lemon, they replaced Lisa Guerrero.  Some good came out of today after all.)  Personally, I think of Extreme Dodgeball as a sign of the apocalypse, Jerri or no Jerri.  Of course, we all watched World Series of Blackjack in spite of Matt Vasgersian.

ObDodgeball: The GSN show is one thing, but there's a movie about dodgeball coming out this weekend.  Trends like network dramas set in Las Vegas and newsmagazines changing their titles I can justify, but dodgeball?!  Are those flying pigs I see in the distance?

MoreObApocalypse: William Hung's new video also debuts Tuesday night.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 10:56:00 PM by GS Warehouse »

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2004, 02:10:44 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jun 14 2004, 09:55 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 14 2004, 09:02 PM\'] (An aside: I _was_ excited about Extreme Dodgeball. Then this morning I found out Jerri "Jerribitch" Manthey of Survivor fame was the host. ... [/quote]
Actually, Jerri is the sideline reporter, like Michele Tafoya is at the NBA Finals and will be to Monday Night Football next season.  (Yes, Lemon, they replaced Lisa Guerrero.  Some good came out of today after all.)  Personally, I think of Extreme Dodgeball as a sign of the apocalypse, Jerri or no Jerri.  Of course, we all watched World Series of Blackjack in spite of Matt Vasgersian.

ObDodgeball: The GSN show is one thing, but there's a movie about dodgeball coming out this weekend.  Trends like network dramas set in Las Vegas and newsmagazines changing their titles I can justify, but dodgeball?!  Are those flying pigs I see in the distance?

MoreObApocalypse: William Hung's new video also debuts Tuesday night. [/quote]
 I lost all faith in entertainment when "From Justin to Kelly" was released in the theaters.

ObGameShow: American Idol is produced by Fremantle...the bastards.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

HairMetalLives

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2004, 02:13:32 AM »
Is anyone else HOPING GSN -- or "BSN" as I call it -- goes bankrupt beisdes me?

clemon79

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2004, 02:46:06 AM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jun 14 2004, 11:13 PM\'] Is anyone else HOPING GSN -- or "BSN" as I call it -- goes bankrupt beisdes me? [/quote]
 No, and if you had any sense, you wouldn't either. The implications to the cable field and the chances of you ever seeing similar programming to what GSN used to air are FAR worse if the channel outright dies than they are if it survives in its current form.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2004, 03:25:07 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 01:46 AM\'] [quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jun 14 2004, 11:13 PM\'] Is anyone else HOPING GSN -- or "BSN" as I call it -- goes bankrupt beisdes me? [/quote]
No, and if you had any sense, you wouldn't either. The implications to the cable field and the chances of you ever seeing similar programming to what GSN used to air are FAR worse if the channel outright dies than they are if it survives in its current form. [/quote]
 I see the dilemma with GSN as somewhat similar to the situation with AMC (formerly American Movie Classics).  I used to really like that channel because I am a fan of movies of the '30's and '40's and they used to show them commercial free.  The movies shown now are as recent as 2000 and they are interrupted by commercials.  While the ratings are presumably higher, it's not what I want to watch, so why root for them to take that path?  Thankfully, there are other options for old movies, but I don't expect to ever see a DVD box set for NYSI.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

cmjb13

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2004, 06:03:15 AM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jun 14 2004, 08:25 PM\'] I don't think so...if that was the case, why are Blockbusters, Card Sharks, and the B&W Classics still on the schedule?  From what I heard, GSN renewed GT package in 2002 for all the shows. [/quote]
 Maybe I'm thinking of MG & Feud in one deal and the rest of the library in another deal? (since one group would be played more than the other).

Will be interesting to see what they do this year, if in fact that is the renewal.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Pyramid80

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2004, 07:51:45 AM »
It will be really sad to let the Goodson-Todman library expire.  There are so many great shows that are in that package.  But if they aren't being aired why renew the whole thing.

cmjb13

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2004, 08:40:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 07:51 AM\'] It will be really sad to let the Goodson-Todman library expire.  There are so many great shows that are in that package.  But if they aren't being aired why renew the whole thing. [/quote]
 Maybe Fremantle says it's all or nothing.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

inturnaround

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2004, 09:08:42 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 08:40 AM\'] [quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 07:51 AM\'] It will be really sad to let the Goodson-Todman library expire.  There are so many great shows that are in that package.  But if they aren't being aired why renew the whole thing. [/quote]
Maybe Fremantle says it's all or nothing. [/quote]
 Then Fremantle is turning down good money for no good reason.

Let's face it, there are very few channels out there who would even consider airing the G-T library. I don't even know of any that were ever in competition for it. So, it just doesn't make sense to me for Fremantle to say to GSN, "No thanks, we don't want your money"

I think it's more likely than GSN doesn't want it anymore. I think if the price is right, then GSN wants it. If it isn't, they'll move on and find other shows to acquire.
(I'm sure they'd love to have the Survivor package)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2004, 09:48:45 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 08:08 AM\'] Then Fremantle is turning down good money for no good reason.
 [/quote]
 I'll assume you don't know the actual sales figures.  What's "good money"?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

inturnaround

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2004, 10:00:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 09:48 AM\'] [quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 08:08 AM\'] Then Fremantle is turning down good money for no good reason.
 [/quote]
I'll assume you don't know the actual sales figures.  What's "good money"? [/quote]
 Good money is money that they wouldn't otherwise have.

Like I said, if GSN doesn't pick up the package, it's likely no one else will. This isn't like earlier negotiations with GSN where it was absolutely essential to the network's survival that they reach an agreement for all these shows. Since the GSN rebranding and the shift in focus, the priority for making this deal is lower and lower on the totem pole for GSN. Fremantle knows this and if they make any unreasonable demands, then GSN might just walk away.

So, basically, any money Fremantle can get for the package is free money. The games have already long ago made their money back. It's all pure profit at this point, isn't it?

Of course I have no sales figures, like most people here, this is all speculation. But I'd hope it's intelligent speculation.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

clemon79

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2004, 11:27:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 12:25 AM\'] While the ratings are presumably higher, it's not what I want to watch, so why root for them to take that path? [/quote]
 Because if they outright fail, you know what someone is gonna say when the idea of an AMC2 is floated in the future?

"AMC tanked, why should we throw good money after bad?"

Not that I'm saying the idea for a GSN2 will ever crop up. But say that Viacom gets a wad in their britches to open up shop on RealityTV, with None Other Than Survivor as the anchor show. Maybe THEY might extend the definition of "reality" to "game shows" (as "game shows" have extended the definition to "reality") and pick up some TPiR to show in the off hours.

All utter conjecture, of course. But why lower the odds with evil thoughts?