Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Goodson-Todman Library Expiring?  (Read 11973 times)

Timsterino

Goodson-Todman Library Expiring?
« on: June 13, 2004, 09:14:07 PM »
From reading tvgameshows.net these past few days, Steve has hinted that the license GSN has for the Goodson-Todman library is close to expiring. Do you think the "new" GSN will renew the license? I do not think they will. Your thoughts?

Tim :-)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 09:14:51 PM by Timsterino »

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 09:16:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Jun 13 2004, 08:14 PM\'] From reading tvgameshows.net these past few days, Steve has hinted that the license GSN has for the Goodson-Todman library is close to expiring. Do you think the "new" GSN will renew the license? I do not think they will. Your thoughts?

Tim :-) [/quote]
 I suspect they MIGHT try to keep Feud and Match Game, but it'll be so long Blockbusters, Card SHarks, and the B&W shows if the GT library is not fully renewed.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 09:39:06 PM »
I would take that with a grain of salt...because the last time he said that, it was due to expire in Fall of 2002. Does he have a month/day?
insert signature here

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 09:55:41 PM »
I think they will renew.  They haven't shown the full run of 2FTM yet.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 10:57:09 PM »
I could have sworn the Perfesser said a year or two ago someone from GSN told him they renewed the library.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 11:15:43 PM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Jun 13 2004, 10:57 PM\'] I could have sworn the Perfesser said a year or two ago someone from GSN told him they renewed the library. [/quote]
 Well, you realize that renewal MIGHT have been for just...oh, I don't know, maybe a year or two?

Seriously, it might be time for us to stop thinking about "The Goodson-Todman Library" as this one great big thing.  At some point, the "new" GSN won't have much use for anything except the evergreens like Match Game and Family Feud.  Why pay more for a package that includes What's Going On? and Judge For Yourself?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

whampyl03

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 03:02:03 AM »
If this is true...

Perhaps.  But I wouldn't be completely surprised if GSN to tries to swing a deal Fremantle to get the rights for only Feud and MG out of the library, as stated my many in this post before.  I would think, considering the direction that the network is going, that GSN would be looking for more slots on the schedule to air/re-air more game-related programming.

zachhoran

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 08:44:07 AM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Jun 14 2004, 02:02 AM\'] If this is true...

Perhaps.  But I wouldn't be completely surprised if GSN to tries to swing a deal Fremantle to get the rights for only Feud and MG out of the library, as stated my many in this post before.  I would think, considering the direction that the network is going, that GSN would be looking for more slots on the schedule to air/re-air more game-related programming. [/quote]
 If they do that, I suspect they might be getting 200 episodes at a time of each show like they have with other recent acquisitions.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 10:24:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jun 13 2004, 10:15 PM\'] [quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Jun 13 2004, 10:57 PM\'] I could have sworn the Perfesser said a year or two ago someone from GSN told him they renewed the library. [/quote]
Well, you realize that renewal MIGHT have been for just...oh, I don't know, maybe a year or two?

Seriously, it might be time for us to stop thinking about "The Goodson-Todman Library" as this one great big thing.  At some point, the "new" GSN won't have much use for anything except the evergreens like Match Game and Family Feud.  Why pay more for a package that includes What's Going On? and Judge For Yourself? [/quote]
 With the new GSN getting away from traditional game shows, Goodson's "That's My Line" might be a good fit.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

cmjb13

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 07:08:30 PM »
Doing a google groups search reveals that GSN has renewed the library every 2 years since 1998.

My hunch is they will negotiate for the same package they did in 2002.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 07:09:29 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tyshaun1

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 07:16:50 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jun 14 2004, 06:08 PM\'] Doing a google groups search reveals that GSN has renewed the library every 2 years since 1998.

My hunch is they will negotiate for the same package they did in 2002. [/quote]
 Which was..........?

Tyshaun

kirkmorgan

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004, 07:22:50 PM »
GSN,Couldn't make it without the GT library ,and if they have any brains they'll realize  just how true that is!

cmjb13

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2004, 07:43:19 PM »
IIRC, and I can't find anything on Google or the GSN message board to back this up, Feud & Match Game were renewed in a separate deal.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

TV Favorites

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2004, 08:12:12 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jun 14 2004, 06:43 PM\'] IIRC, and I can't find anything on Google or the GSN message board to back this up, Feud & Match Game were renewed in a separate deal. [/quote]
 When was that?  AFAIK, Fremantle has always had the GT package in 2 different sets.  One included Feud 94 and TPiR while the other package included everything else.

cmjb13

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2004, 08:20:01 PM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jun 14 2004, 08:12 PM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jun 14 2004, 06:43 PM\'] IIRC, and I can't find anything on Google or the GSN message board to back this up, Feud & Match Game were renewed in a separate deal. [/quote]
When was that?  AFAIK, Fremantle has always had the GT package in 2 different sets.  One included Feud 94 and TPiR while the other package included everything else. [/quote]
I believe it was the 2002 renewal.

I'm trying to remember vaguely what Beverly posted at the time.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 08:21:14 PM by cmjb13 »