Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune on GSN  (Read 8117 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Wheel of Fortune on GSN
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2004, 08:41:08 PM »
[quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 07:55 PM\'] My VCR wasn't broken, it was at home.

I was a senior in college who had only a B&W TV, and no connection to a VCR. [/quote]
 A degree-granting institution accepted you?  And you graduated about 12 years ago?

Wow...  I'm speechless.

zachhoran

Wheel of Fortune on GSN
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2004, 08:43:49 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 07:41 PM\'] [quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 07:55 PM\'] My VCR wasn't broken, it was at home.

I was a senior in college who had only a B&W TV, and no connection to a VCR. [/quote]
A degree-granting institution accepted you?  And you graduated about 12 years ago?

Wow...  I'm speechless. [/quote]
 Give credit where credit is due, painful as it is sometimes. Remember that "I" graduated from such an institution.

dzinkin

Wheel of Fortune on GSN
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2004, 08:54:45 PM »
[quote name=\'gsfan85\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 08:01 PM\'] They are just going to begin replaying 1988-89.  GSN only has the rights to air the current season of Wheel and the current season of Jeopardy! that are airing as we speak for some odd reason.  That's why they just begain the two over again.

If anyone else can be more detailed, it would be great. [/quote]
 Uh, Adam... GSN, via Sony, owns the shows outright.  They can air whatever syndie seasons they want.

zachhoran

Wheel of Fortune on GSN
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2004, 09:16:43 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 07:54 PM\']
Uh, Adam... GSN, via Sony, owns the shows outright.  They can air whatever syndie seasons they want. [/quote]
 Not  to doubt you or anything, but isn't the deal GSN/Sony struck with LIberty Digital a couple years ago holding them back from airing WOF, J!, and Newlywed Game episodes besides the seasons currently running(1988-89 WOF, 1997-98 J!, and 1985-86 Newlywed)?

TV Favorites

Wheel of Fortune on GSN
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2004, 09:19:28 PM »
I have also heard that GSN can't air anything they want from the Sony library at the drop of a hat.  They must also pay for airing rights like other networks.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 09:19:44 PM by TV Favorites »

dzinkin

Wheel of Fortune on GSN
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2004, 09:28:29 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 09:16 PM\'] [quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 07:54 PM\']
Uh, Adam... GSN, via Sony, owns the shows outright.  They can air whatever syndie seasons they want. [/quote]
Not  to doubt you or anything, but isn't the deal GSN/Sony struck with LIberty Digital a couple years ago holding them back from airing WOF, J!, and Newlywed Game episodes besides the seasons currently running(1988-89 WOF, 1997-98 J!, and 1985-86 Newlywed)? [/quote]
 I'm pretty sure they changed seasons at least once since Liberty bought half.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Wheel of Fortune on GSN
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2004, 09:40:14 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 08:28 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 09:16 PM\'] [quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 07:54 PM\']
Uh, Adam... GSN, via Sony, owns the shows outright.  They can air whatever syndie seasons they want. [/quote]
Not  to doubt you or anything, but isn't the deal GSN/Sony struck with LIberty Digital a couple years ago holding them back from airing WOF, J!, and Newlywed Game episodes besides the seasons currently running(1988-89 WOF, 1997-98 J!, and 1985-86 Newlywed)? [/quote]
I'm pretty sure they changed seasons at least once since Liberty bought half. [/quote]
 They did, as they did with Pyramid.  More than likely, they just don't care.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

irismason42

Wheel of Fortune on GSN
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2004, 09:43:45 PM »
If you're looking at the PR, Liberty brought half of GSN in 2000 while Michael was still the GSN boss and since Sony still halfway own GSN, they can still show us more nighttime seasons of Wheel of Fortune and still show more Syndie seasons of Jeopardy! and Liberty won't stop GSN from airing some early episodes of the Syndicated Jeopardy! so we can Alex again with dark gray hair and no glasses. Take a look at The $100,000 Pyramid, we were stuck at the Season 3(1987-88 Season) episodes for awhile and now they're showing Season 2(1986-87 Season) for 1 more week.

TV Favorites

Wheel of Fortune on GSN
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2004, 10:12:14 PM »
Maybe they decided to purchase another season of the shows?  Their contract could have been up, so they decided to get another season, hence the reruns.  I tend to believe that GSN has limited rights to the Sony shows, otherwise (not to give GSN any ideas), why don't they just run one season of Family Feud or Match Game for instance?

dzinkin

Wheel of Fortune on GSN
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2004, 10:25:10 PM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 10:12 PM\'] Maybe they decided to purchase another season of the shows?  Their contract could have been up, so they decided to get another season, hence the reruns.  I tend to believe that GSN has limited rights to the Sony shows, otherwise (not to give GSN any ideas), why don't they just run one season of Family Feud or Match Game for instance? [/quote]
 Aren't Feud and MG the best performers for GSN as far as classics are concerned?  Perhaps those are a higher priority as a result.  How many people are going to notice with Wheel and J!, especially considering that those two run every day in syndication as well?

TV Favorites

Wheel of Fortune on GSN
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2004, 10:33:10 PM »
I just used Feud and Match Game for instance, but the same could be said about Card Sharks and Blockbusters.  While those shows were on weekday mornings (when the schedule ran 7 days a week), more than one season of those were aired as well.  It isn't as noticible now that the shows are on weekends only, but so far they haven't gone back and repeated any episodes of the 2 mentioned shows since the current run started.

Also, thericker at the GSN boards has said that GSN must license shows from Sony.  Not sure how accurate it is, but based on the trends of what shows get rerun to death and what shows don't, I'd say he's correct.

sshuffield70

Wheel of Fortune on GSN
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2004, 10:40:20 PM »
[quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 06:55 PM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 06:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 06:33 PM\'] [quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 04:21 PM\'] The season I'd like to see next:  the 1991-92 season. [/quote]
Please, someone help me with my aching head and explain to me the significance of the 91-92 season of WOF that makes TMQ800 want to see it so badly? [/quote]
His VCR was probably broken that year. [/quote]

My VCR wasn't broken, it was at home.

So if I read this right.....(and I don't know that I am......).........you had a black and white TV and no VCR, while at the same time I had a TV/VCR combo unit?  Are you sure you even graduated that year??  With a post like that, I'd have thought you graudated in 1962, not '92.

bellbm

Wheel of Fortune on GSN
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2004, 10:41:22 PM »
Well, since Wheel and J! aren't leaving the daytime schedule when the change comes next week, lets hope they are going to run a new season of episodes.

dzinkin

Wheel of Fortune on GSN
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2004, 10:41:57 PM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 10:33 PM\'] I just used Feud and Match Game for instance, but the same could be said about Card Sharks and Blockbusters.  While those shows were on weekday mornings (when the schedule ran 7 days a week), more than one season of those were aired as well.  It isn't as noticible now that the shows are on weekends only, but so far they haven't gone back and repeated any episodes of the 2 mentioned shows since the current run started.

Also, thericker at the GSN boards has said that GSN must license shows from Sony.  Not sure how accurate it is, but based on the trends of what shows get rerun to death and what shows don't, I'd say he's correct. [/quote]
 They have to license the shows, but it's still pretty much in-house... it's not as though they have to go to a third party like Fremantle or Hatos-Hall to get the shows.

That notwithstanding, GSN has repeated seasons of WoF and J! before, and switched seasons at least once since Liberty bought half of GSN.  Unless thericker or someone else at GSN comments specifically on why the seasons have started over, Wurtzel's explanation, yours, Mark's, and mine are all speculation.

TV Favorites

Wheel of Fortune on GSN
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2004, 11:10:51 PM »
One thought I had...it could be a small possibility that GSN could have all seasons of Sony shows but only show one or two seasons so they have fresh content (i.e. "lost seasons") if they lose the G-T library.  Just trying to look at both sides of this.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 11:11:15 PM by TV Favorites »