Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Video game programs coming to GSN  (Read 27846 times)

Starkman

Video game programs coming to GSN
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2003, 06:54:05 PM »
the intresting thing about video games is that it IMHO goes below their current aim and more toward the 10-24 year olds, something more akin to GAS (which intrestingly enough has done the same thing with the PUTRID game farm and the suprisingly good Play to Z not to mention the 5000 or so video game promos they air) the odd thing about this move that the closest thing that GSN has in terms of competition is G4 and GAS, however GSN is MUCH more mainstream in terms of homes reached than either G4 or GAS, so i would find it incongrous for it to steer back toward the deep niche of gamers, I suspected a massive shift but not like this, instead i expected GSN to go more into comedy (with funny money and all) and interactive enterainment than just game shows. I was expecting perhaps them picking up shows like Change of Heart and more shows along the lines of LC and games that can be played interactivly easily along with more documentaries and profile shows (similar to what VH1 and Food network did). I thought maybe even something like a Paranoia revival for lower stakes to promote cutting edge creativity. This actually seems like a step back by my standards because it seems that video game shows are more of a niche market than game shows, everyone may play them but who really watches shows about them (look at g4's scope not to mention the ratings of most of the old gamer shows) i dunno its a risk but not something i would have done (and note that i wasnt exactly panderring for classics)

i think the return of vertivision is their coup to the classic fans and the rest of GSN will go the way of cartoon network.

uncamark

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2003, 03:18:04 PM »
Whammy, Cram, and Lingo shoot for the same 18-49s that BLLB, AN3aC, and EG did.  BLLB and AN3aC don't seem to have any appeal for anyone younger than, say, 16 or 17.  Whammy and Cram could easily appeal to people as young as 9 or 10, and Lingo could appeal to 12 and 13 year olds.

And Chuck's 6-year-old Costco buddy Ashley.  \"That's not a worrrrrd!...\"

JMFabiano

« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2003, 11:41:49 PM »
Still new at this, so I don't know if I can change subject titles.  If I could, I'd probably write something like, \"GSN is dead?\"  Not business-wise, obviously, but yes, I mean as far as what it used to mean to so many of us.  Which I agree is a shame.  Yeah, yeah, I know, \"They need to make money,\" and \"It's just TV, get over it.\"  Still, as a person who is disappointed with the utter lack of entertainment in \"entertainment\" nowadays, it sucks to be more limited to my choices in means of \"escape\" back to the stuff I grew up with, or things from earlier decades (which I consider now to be \"back when people cared about making good TV, music, etc\")  It's happening with GSN like it did with the AMC before it, and with Cartoon Network (though the weekends are great, what with He-Man when it's new, the DC related shows, Popeye, and Adult Swim.   And they DO have Boomerang, another hint hint! ;-))  To a lesser extent, and if I remember some of you from ATGS correctly, you'll flame me for this, there's wrestling as well.  WWE is abyssmal now, and I don't even watch it regularly anymore, opting instead for my old tapes and the occasional indy.  

I guess what I'm saying in so many words is that I guess my disillusionment with the media today aggravates what GSN is now and what it might become.   Call me a prude, but seems to me that people make TV shows for trend hoppers, 6 year olds, and perverts.  Same with music.  You can see how I feel left out in my little world of TV Land, GSN (when it's good), and British TV on PBS.  

J.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.