Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel/J question  (Read 3127 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel/J question
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2004, 07:29:11 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 03:19 PM\'] Hey! I just had an idea! One of these days, we should all meet up in a chat room and have a Dean Martin (Wo)Man of the Hour Roast. I think Chris Lemon, Randy, and a few others here could excel at that. [/quote]
 I think meeting up in a chat room is a fine idea, but I was thinking more of a Thunderdome "two man enter, one man leave" kind of thing. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Craig Karlberg

Wheel/J question
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2004, 06:22:19 AM »
Gee, how ironic can it get?

June 1994;  O.J. Simpson is arrested & charged with killing his ex-wife:  Affect on gane shows-Minimal at best.

June 2004:  Ronald Reagan dies:  Affect on game shows-Somewhat significant(at least on Friday's funeral anyway).

Who knows what'll happen in June 2014.

aaron sica

Wheel/J question
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2004, 06:47:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 06:22 AM\'] Gee, how ironic can it get?

June 1994;  O.J. Simpson is arrested & charged with killing his ex-wife:  Affect on gane shows-Minimal at best.

June 2004:  Ronald Reagan dies:  Affect on game shows-Somewhat significant(at least on Friday's funeral anyway).

Who knows what'll happen in June 2014. [/quote]
 Exactly what is ironic about these two events??

GEEZ!

Don Howard

Wheel/J question
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2004, 08:10:27 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 05:47 AM\'] [quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 06:22 AM\'] Gee, how ironic can it get?

June 1994;  O.J. Simpson is arrested & charged with killing his ex-wife:  Affect on gane shows-Minimal at best.

June 2004:  Ronald Reagan dies:  Affect on game shows-Somewhat significant(at least on Friday's funeral anyway).

Exactly what is ironic about these two events??

GEEZ! [/quote]
 As someone (I forget who) put it so well some time ago, it's "ironic in the Vin Scully sense of the word". PJTP.

zachhoran

Wheel/J question
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2004, 09:04:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 05:22 AM\']
 Rich Fields will be promoted to TPIR host, and Randy West will take over as announcer.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel/J question
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2004, 11:32:39 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 03:47 AM\'] Exactly what is ironic about these two events??

GEEZ! [/quote]
 If it turns out OJ is responsible for the death of Ron Reagan, that would be ironic. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

Wheel/J question
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2004, 11:40:35 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 11:32 AM\'] If it turns out OJ is responsible for the death of Ron Reagan, that would be ironic. :) [/quote]
 Perhaps our Italian-bashing friend had Ron Reagan confused with Ron Goldman. :)

Jimmy Owen

Wheel/J question
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2004, 11:46:13 AM »
Maybe the trial did have an effect on game shows.  Viewers were riveted to CNN, Court TV, E!, etc in the daytime for the Simpson trial and USA gradually shed itself of game shows.  Not sure if it will ever get off the ground, but O.J. is attempting to make a TV comeback with a practical joke-reality series entitled "Juiced."
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 11:52:26 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

Wheel/J question
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2004, 11:55:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 10:46 AM\'] Maybe the trial did have an effect on game shows.  Viewers were riveted to CNN, Court TV, E!, etc in the daytime for the Simpson trial and USA gradually shed itself of game shows. [/quote]
 USA's game show block was axed due to an anti-game show executive taking over head of programming around that time. Though USA was airing reruns of court shows in the early-mid 90s, and People's Court reruns(interspersed with the USA Live shtick) did indeed replace part of the game block.

Radiofreewill

Wheel/J question
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2004, 11:58:45 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 08:04 AM\'] [quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 05:22 AM\']
Rich Fields will be promoted to TPIR host, and Randy West will take over as announcer. [/quote]
 No! By 2014, the show will be hosted by Bob Barker's Head-In-A-Jar, Rich gets promoted to holder of said head, and Randy will be the announcer.

tvrandywest

Wheel/J question
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2004, 12:37:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Radiofreewill\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 07:58 AM\'] No! By 2014, the show will be hosted by Bob Barker's Head-In-A-Jar, Rich gets promoted to holder of said head, and Randy will be the announcer. [/quote]
Not just "LOL", I actually laughed out loud at that one!

My only recollection of OJ's affect on game shows:

Ryan Seacrest and I are outdoors in 100 degree heat at the Burbank Equestrian Center with about 100 grade schoolers as we try to tape some crazy polo-like game with kids on the backs of donkeys for "Wild Animal Games" (the original "dog and pony show"). The Donkeys want nothing more than to stand still in the shade, and refuse to move. The Humane Society is watching to be sure that no stagehands kick their asses. I'm supposed to keep 92 of these kids cheering for their 8 classmates, but they would prefer to be whining from standing in the hot sun for over 2 hours. I'm using cold sugar-laced juice drink to encouage participation. The fragrance of donkey shit fills the humid air.

Meanwhile the audio guy has hooked up a boom box to the PA system so we can hear the OJ verdict. "Not guilty". Now the adults are all bitching and moaning also. The donkeys still wont move, and we're losing sunlight. I never wanted to be home more than I did that afternoon.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 12:38:47 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

rigsby

Wheel/J question
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2004, 02:05:59 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 11:37 AM\'] The Humane Society is watching to be sure that no stagehands kick their asses. [/quote]
 "Their" meaning the donkeys, or the Humane Society people?  On a day like that, it'd probably be a toss-up for me...

uncamark

Wheel/J question
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2004, 02:27:22 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 11:37 AM\'][quote name=\'Radiofreewill\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 07:58 AM\'] No! By 2014, the show will be hosted by Bob Barker's Head-In-A-Jar, Rich gets promoted to holder of said head, and Randy will be the announcer. [/quote]
Not just "LOL", I actually laughed out loud at that one!

My only recollection of OJ's affect on game shows:

Ryan Seacrest and I are outdoors in 100 degree heat at the Burbank Equestrian Center with about 100 grade schoolers as we try to tape some crazy polo-like game with kids on the backs of donkeys for "Wild Animal Games" (the original "dog and pony show"). The Donkeys want nothing more than to stand still in the shade, and refuse to move. The Humane Society is watching to be sure that no stagehands kick their asses. I'm supposed to keep 92 of these kids cheering for their 8 classmates, but they would prefer to be whining from standing in the hot sun for over 2 hours. I'm using cold sugar-laced juice drink to encouage participation. The fragrance of donkey shit fills the humid air.

Meanwhile the audio guy has hooked up a boom box to the PA system so we can hear the OJ verdict. "Not guilty". Now the adults are all bitching and moaning also. The donkeys still wont move, and we're losing sunlight. I never wanted to be home more than I did that afternoon.[/quote]
Sorry to hear that you had to work with an ass, Randy--and that's just Seacrest.  :)

Thank you--I'll be here all week--tip your waitress.

trainman

Wheel/J question
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2004, 11:58:46 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 02:39 PM\'] Not much , if anything was affected...the trial ran on news cable stations and court tv...and i believe some stations in LA ran extra newscasts (KCAL i think)....CBS price was fine... [/quote]
 A friend and I were out in L.A. for spring break in 1995, while the trial was going on.  I remember KCBS pre-empting the first minute or so of "TPIR" for a trial update, but then the rest of the show aired as normal.
trainman is a man of trains