Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Better Sex question  (Read 10963 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Better Sex question
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2003, 11:25:16 AM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 12:12 AM\'] You seem to have forgotten Wild Animal Games, Chris.
Tell me how you did it. [/quote]
It's very easy. Unlike some of our number, I simply don't allow every minute fact about every game show ever made to occupy space in my brain, instead preferring to reserve some space for other pursuits. :)

And there was the Click! gig, too, which I remember him better for (never saw WAG myself), and prolly subliminally why I threw him in there, since he worked reasonably well with that marvelous piece he had for a co-host. :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 11:58:37 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

Better Sex question
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2003, 11:42:49 AM »
And I think we'd ALL like to forget Wild Animal Games.

Jimmy Owen

Better Sex question
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2003, 11:59:48 AM »
I forgot about Wild Animal Games, but Ryan had a successful show in Click (two seasons).  I dunno, I still favor Vince Gill.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

Better Sex question
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2003, 12:00:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 08:59 AM\'] I dunno, I still favor Vince Gill. [/quote]
 Yeah, you do that.

Jimmy Owen

Better Sex question
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2003, 12:11:11 PM »
Ahm jes havin' fun.  I know \"The Better Sex\" is never coming back. Heck, \"Billboard Living\" has a better chance making it to the air than a revival of \"The Better Sex.\"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

Better Sex question
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2003, 12:17:50 PM »
Pearson/Fremantle actually did consider reviving Better Sex for a time in 2000, around the time of the Janice and Kathleen and Co. TPIR layoffs.

tvrandywest

Better Sex question
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2003, 12:24:02 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 10:42 AM\']And I think we'd ALL like to forget Wild Animal Games.[/quote]
Mixed memories:

Ryan was great to work with - at age 19 he had the style and presence of someone who had been on camera for 20 years. And he was amazing working with that chimp as his co-host in one segment each episode.

Lots of the show was taped outdoors in the \"back lot\" (parking lot) of Glendale Studios. Ever been to Glendale in the summer? A dripping wet 98 Degrees, and I don't mean the boy band in a hot tub.

Jerry Kupcinet (Irv's son) - great director with great stories. Tech Ron Powell (iirc) had endless tales from his years at Group W with Mike Douglas, and 2-inch hi-band video machines that ran amuck.

Actually learning about animals - a different species every day with some amazingly knowledgeable trainers.

GT music maven Mike Malone was stage manager. For the theme geeks among us, HE personally made the razor blade edits that turned the Match Game theme from the original version on the CD you have to the theme as used, and was always a little insecure about that rather abrupt cut early in the air version. And yes, he was THE MAN behind all those original TPIR cues.

The endless parade of uncontrollable audience brats with short attention spans and poor hygiene.

The elephant that charged me from behind while I was working the audience - the kids screamed, I turned around, looked and ran!

Wondering where the check is from the show's sale and re-use on another cable channel in 1999.

Our stopping tape to hear the verdict in the OJ Simpson case broadcast live on the radio which we piped to the outdoor location PA.

Woody Fraser.

All pretty OT for a \"Better Sex\" thread. Hmmm, well I did see the chimp attempt to sexually pleasure himself between takes. Does that help bring it back on topic?   ;-p

OK. Just idle thoughts as I prep for another day with Barker at TPIR. I can now see how learning to adapt to the unpredictable on those wackier shows, and all that ad-libbing in warm-up and on radio have proven to be valuable experience towards working on a show that's shot live to tape without the safety net of re-takes and pick-ups. And yes, I know, I'm a lucky SOB. I'm also very grateful.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 12:39:15 PM by tvrandywest »

zachhoran

Better Sex question
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2003, 09:19:57 PM »
It's nice to hear you're still doing TPIR, Randy W. I will assume Rod is still recuperating.

PeterMarshallFan

Better Sex question
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2003, 09:28:05 PM »
Randy, you're more than a lucky SOB.....but the adjectives I'd like to use would get me in hot water with Matt and Chris. :)

I mean that in a good way. :D

clemon79

Better Sex question
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2003, 10:40:36 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 06:19 PM\'] It's nice to hear you're still doing TPIR, Randy W. I will assume Rod is still recuperating. [/quote]
 I think it's very interesting that Randy is still filling in on TPiR. Burton's been the \"go-to\" fill-in guy for Rod for a while now. Now, all of a sudden, this new guy comes in, gets his shot, at the same time an opportunity to fill in longer than expected comes along, and it's suddenly like Burton doesn't exist.

Obviously we all wish Rod a speedy recovery and that he is soon able to once again perform his assigned duties for as long as he should wish to continue with them, but I can't help but think that the Powers That Be saw something REALLY IMPRESSIVE in Randy's tryout.

starcade

Better Sex question
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2003, 11:01:12 PM »
\"Better Sex With Icey\"???  There's already a show on GSN called that -- it's \"Cram\"...

Brandon Brooks

Better Sex question
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2003, 11:05:05 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 10:01 PM\'] "Better Sex With Icey"???  There's already a show on GSN called that -- it's "Cram"... [/quote]
 Cram and The Better Sex are nothing alike, so your comparison is a wrong one.

Brandon Brooks

starcade

Better Sex question
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2003, 11:35:48 PM »
My point in the Icey comment is that \"Cram\", IMODO, has no point.  It's stupid and vapid and an example of GSN's decline.

Brandon Brooks

Better Sex question
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2003, 12:12:48 AM »
My point in the Icey comment is that \"Cram\", IMODO, has no point. It's stupid and vapid and an example of GSN's decline.

Your own damned opinion can be picked apart on so many levels.

First of all, since when did game shows have \"points\"... and better yet, what point should a game show have?  I really don't know of any point to a game show except for entertainment.

Second, a decline in what sense?  GSN is turning profit after all this time.  And Cram is a game show, which stays true to GSN's purpose.  So, you just don't like it is what you mean, which is fine.

I actually do enjoy Cram a lot, for some reason.  That Lingo, RR, and Whammy are the only GSN originals that I think that are worth... or ever have been worth anything to me.  GSN will not decline, it just may not go in the direction (or I) think it should go in.

Brandon Brooks

MyCapableAssistant

Better Sex question
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2003, 08:39:55 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 08:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 06:19 PM\'] It's nice to hear you're still doing TPIR, Randy W. I will assume Rod is still recuperating. [/quote]
I think it's very interesting that Randy is still filling in on TPiR. Burton's been the \"go-to\" fill-in guy for Rod for a while now. Now, all of a sudden, this new guy comes in, gets his shot, at the same time an opportunity to fill in longer than expected comes along, and it's suddenly like Burton doesn't exist.

Obviously we all wish Rod a speedy recovery and that he is soon able to once again perform his assigned duties for as long as he should wish to continue with them, but I can't help but think that the Powers That Be saw something REALLY IMPRESSIVE in Randy's tryout. [/quote]
I agree with EVERYTHING Chris has just stated -- well, not so much \"just stated,\" perhaps what was stated SEVERAL DAYS/WEEKS AGO! --  

I too, think that it is MORE THAN interesting that Randy is still doing Price. IF they had been so decidedly \"pleased\" with Burton, why even give Randy a chance???

Not to say it looks badly for Burton... but \"optimistic\" for Randy. Go get 'em Mr. West!!

Best Wishes Randy.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2003, 08:46:46 AM by MyCapableAssistant »