Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Minimum Daily Double wager?  (Read 8077 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Minimum Daily Double wager?
« on: July 09, 2003, 01:57:09 PM »
I've been trying to learn Visual C++ over the last few weeks, and as a first project I'm trying to write a Windows version of the Jeopardy Challenger. It's coming along pretty good, but I'm getting to the point where I'm writing the code for the Daily Double and Final Jeopardy buttons, and I need to know what the minimum wager for a Daily Double is.

I don't need any \"I think it's...\" or \"I believes...\". Obviously I have an idea myself. But if I know FOR SURE what the minimum DD wager is, then I can plunge forward knowing I am at least using good information.

Thanks for the help!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Casey Buck

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 02:41:55 PM »
$5 is the minimum DD wager.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 02:42:20 PM by Casey Buck »

clemon79

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 03:24:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 11:41 AM\'] $5 is the minimum DD wager. [/quote]
 That's what I thought, but I needed confirmation. Thanks muchly! :)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 03:33:21 PM »
To make super-extra-special sure, I asked at the Jeopardy board.  Casey's spot-on.

http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/show...?threadid=79997
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Casey Buck

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 05:03:31 PM »
Hey, I only remembered it in my head! :) I did do a quick Google Groups search just to be sure.

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2003, 07:45:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 12:33 PM\'] To make super-extra-special sure, I asked at the Jeopardy board.  Casey's spot-on.

http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/show...?threadid=79997 [/quote]
 Doubly good. I'm not _too_ far from having a working 1.0 prototype available for people to noodle with (assuming that passing data back to the main form from a dialogue box isn't too difficult)...I'll post it in the Downloads section on FredSmythe.com and spread the word here when I have something ready.

dscungio

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2003, 09:40:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 01:41 PM\']$5 is the minimum DD wager.[/quote]
I'm curious.  Why is the minimum $5?  Why not $1?  I mean, if you can bet $1 in Final Jeopardy, why can't you do the same on a Daily Double?

Dean Scungio
dscungio@worldnet.att.net (dscungio@worldnet.att.net)
AIM & Y!: dascungio (Note the \"a\"!)

\"It's not how much we give away,
it's the way we do it.\" -Monty Hall

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2003, 10:15:54 PM »
[quote name=\'dscungio\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 08:40 PM\']I'm curious.  Why is the minimum $5?  Why not $1?  I mean, if you can bet $1 in Final Jeopardy, why can't you do the same on a Daily Double?[/quote]
Not to disparage your overall question, but you can bet $0 in Final Jeopardy! as well.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

GS Warehouse

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2003, 10:30:37 PM »
[quote name=\'dscungio\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 08:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 01:41 PM\']$5 is the minimum DD wager.[/quote]
I'm curious.  Why is the minimum $5? [/quote]
 Completely uneducated guess: five dollars also was the minimum in the original version, as it was one-half the lowest amount on the board in those days.

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2003, 10:34:07 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 07:30 PM\'] Completely uneducated guess: five dollars also was the minimum in the original version, as it was one-half the lowest amount on the board in those days. [/quote]
 Just offhand here: You know what I like about Jeopardy contestants?

Anyone moronic enough to wager \"$420\" on a Daily Double isn't smart enough to pass the contestant exam in the first place.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2003, 11:06:04 PM »
This detail escapes me: What happens if a Daily Double is hit when a contestant has a negative score? Can they wager a positive amount of their negative score (IOW a contestant has -400, can they wager $400?)?

Chris L.: How do you like Visual C++?

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2003, 11:09:30 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 10:06 PM\'] This detail escapes me: What happens if a Daily Double is hit when a contestant has a negative score? Can they wager a positive amount of their negative score (IOW a contestant has -400, can they wager $400?)?

Chris L.: How do you like Visual C++? [/quote]
They can always risk the board maximum.  Therefore, if one had -$400 in Jeopardy!, they can risk a grand, and in Double Jeopardy!, they can risk two grand.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 11:10:32 PM by Brandon Brooks »

zachhoran

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2003, 11:12:52 PM »
If a contestant has a positive dollar score that is less than the maximum amount on the board in a round, the player can bet up to that maximum amount.

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2003, 02:07:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Chris319\' date=\'Jul 9 2003,08:06 PM\']Chris L.: How do you like Visual C++?[/quote]

Well, see, here's what I thought I was gonna do: When I was programming in high school, I was taught Pascal. So I understand Pascal syntax pretty well. So I figured, hey, C++ isn't THAT far removed from Pascal, I'll pick up the Visual one, get a nice book, and I'll be writing Windows apps in no time.

After about three days two realities came to mind:

1) \"C++\" and \"Visual C++\" are two distinctly different programming techniques.

2) This is NOT the way to learn C++.

So I'm fumbling. This is the first time I've programmed in a Windows environment, and it's nothing like I've ever used before. Mind you, it's a really neat programming environment, but it assumes you know C++ going in. This evening I spent much of the night building the wager boxes for Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy (easy, but involved to do it right), and hit the wall trying to figure out how to get whatever they type into that box back to the main form and converted into an integer so I can use it. Oh. THEN I have to figure out how to reprimand the user if they wager more or less than is legal.

A Dummies book may be in my future. :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 02:08:16 AM by clemon79 »

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2003, 02:15:54 AM »
Just offhand here: You know what I like about Jeopardy contestants?

Anyone moronic enough to wager \"$420\" on a Daily Double isn't smart enough to pass the contestant exam in the first place.

You say this in an era where college tourney contestants leave themselves with $69 when they miss Final Jeopardy?

You're getting old, man.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."