Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: And now for something completely different...  (Read 5523 times)

Blaq

And now for something completely different...
« on: July 09, 2003, 10:26:43 AM »
While perusing the Zap2It program grid for tonight, I found these listings on Canadian cable channel Prime:

8:00 PM8:30PM9:00 PM
PRIMETV
The Cosby Show : The Price Is Wrong Pam and friends enlist Clair to fight price gouging in a poor neighborhood.(whatever...)The Price Is Right (Game) Contestants bid for prizes.

Card Shark

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 11:53:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Blaq\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 10:26 AM\'] While perusing the Zap2It program grid for tonight, I found these listings on Canadian cable channel Prime:

<table border="1" width="50%">
<tr><td> </td><td>8:00 PM</td><td>8:30PM</td><td>9:00 PM</td></tr>
<tr><td><center>54
PRIMETV</center></td><td>The Cosby Show : The Price Is Wrong Pam and friends enlist Clair to fight price gouging in a poor neighborhood.</td><td>(whatever...)</td><td>The Price Is Right (Game) Contestants bid for prizes.</td></tr>
</table> [/quote]
 Out of curiosity, were shows like Dawson Feud, Perry Card Sharks, etc. seen in Canada? I know that TPIR is shown on Global or something like that. I'm just curious.
Adam Strom

ChuckNet

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 06:34:04 PM »
Also, is Prime still showing any other GS reruns? I know they had The New Liar's Club, Love Me Love Me Not, and the Canadian Supermarket Sweep at one point.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

drmusic_99

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 08:46:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 10:53 AM\'] Out of curiosity, were shows like Dawson Feud, Perry Card Sharks, etc. seen in Canada? I know that TPIR is shown on Global or something like that. I'm just curious. [/quote]
I know Dawson Feud (presumably the syndie version) aired in the late 70's on at least one Canadian station. (I only know this because I used to have a print ad promoting this station's 1977 fall lineup, and there it was.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 08:46:44 PM by drmusic_99 »

vtown7

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 09:34:15 AM »
Also, is Prime still showing any other GS reruns? I know they had The New Liar's Club, Love Me Love Me Not, and the Canadian Supermarket Sweep at one point.

Alas, the board room of Eric Boardman, Ross Shaefer's daisies and Tito Monte's famous shopping cart dodges no longer screen on Prime.  Sigh.  They do have TPIR reruns (sometimes this season's, sometimes back as far as last year), on at 9 est.

Out of curiosity, were shows like Dawson Feud, Perry Card Sharks, etc. seen in Canada? I know that TPIR is shown on Global or something like that. I'm just curious.

Currently...

TPIR - on CH (a global 'superstation' of sorts) at 11 am.  Also on various other channels (aka independents).
Wheel/J!: CTV, 7 pm local.  Save for right now the tuesday j! is being pre-empted by Canadian Idol results show in some markets at that time
HS - Global, 2.35 am in Ontario.
Pyramid: on Canadian Learning Television, 6.30 est.
Feud: same, either right before or right after
Beat The geeks: 8.30 am/4.30 pm, Comedy Network

Can't think of any others right now.  I do know that CC was on CTV for a while, and Eubanks CS was on CITY, as far as the classics go.

Cheers,

Ryan V.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 09:36:40 AM by vtown7 »

cmjb13

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 10:20:09 AM »
TPIR - on CH

The TPIR swimsuit site has snapshots of the show and the CBS eye is grayed out and has \"CH\" inside.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Card Shark

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 11:37:00 AM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 09:34 AM\'] and Eubanks CS was on CITY, as far as the classics go.
 [/quote]
 That's right! IIRC, it was on at 5:00 or 5:30 p.m. I found this very odd. Of course, I was 11 years old at the time and had no concept of how Canadian television worked with American shows. My family lives in Toronto and I know that on Rogers Cable, they have the Buffalo affiliates of the various American networks.
Adam Strom

Blaq

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2003, 12:54:07 PM »
Alas, the board room of Eric Boardman, Ross Shaefer's daisies and Tito Monte's famous shopping cart dodges no longer screen on Prime.

(For the record, that's Tino Monte, and he was just seen on this week's (Canadian airing -- Showcase) season finale of Queer As Folk, playing a newscaster announcing the defeat of evil mayoral candidate Stockwell.

Currently...

TPIR - on CH (a global 'superstation' of sorts) at 11 am.  Also on various other channels (aka independents).
Wheel/J!: CTV, 7 pm local.  Save for right now the tuesday j! is being pre-empted by Canadian Idol results show in some markets at that time
HS - Global, 2.35 am in Ontario.
Pyramid: on Canadian Learning Television, 6.30 est.
Feud: same, either right before or right after
Beat The geeks: 8.30 am/4.30 pm, Comedy Network

Can't think of any others right now.  I do know that CC was on CTV for a while, and Eubanks CS was on CITY, as far as the classics go.

English-language game shows currently airing on Canadian stations:

Banzai
Blind Date
Dog Eat Dog
Family Feud
Hollywood Squares
Jeopardy!
Price is Right

...and that's all I can type right now, because TVGuideLive.com decided to have a fit and prevent me from seeing the other two pages of search results. B^(

vtown7

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 01:07:30 PM »
Charles -

Yes, my bad... I should have known better that it was Tino.  Do you suppose we should have a Canadian equivalent to the TTD'90 room?  If so, what should it be?  I don't think we can suggest the million dollar word game, because although I'm told it was a canadian production, I don't recall that it was in wide (if any) distribution up here in the Great White North.

Cheers,

Ryan V.

kelvint

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2003, 05:13:40 PM »
Wheel/J!: CTV, 7 pm local. Save for right now the tuesday j! is being pre-empted by Canadian Idol results show in some markets at that time

Also this summer, Wheel is being pre-empted weekdays as \"etalk Daily\" moves to 7pm (in most areas), hosted by CI host Ben Mulroney.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 05:19:28 PM by kelvint »

ChuckNet

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2003, 12:12:55 PM »
Eubanks CS was on CITY, as far as the classics go.

CITY also had the Rodriguez NG, NYSI '89, and J!, among other shows.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2003, 12:35:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 10:53 AM\']Out of curiosity, were shows like Dawson Feud, Perry Card Sharks, etc. seen in Canada? I know that TPIR is shown on Global or something like that. I'm just curious.[/quote]
I recall an instance on Perry CS where a home viewer poem was sent in from Montreal.  Perry mentioned that the viewer was watching on WPTZ-TV in Plattsburgh, NY.

I think at one time the NBC station in Buffalo (I believe now WGRZ, not sure what it was back then) was carrying Perry CS, which would've meant viewers in Toronto could watch it from there as well (alas, on the one trip I took to Canada in August 1978, they were not carrying it).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

joelvanderveen

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2003, 06:27:07 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 12:07 PM\'] Do you suppose we should have a Canadian equivalent to the TTD'90 room?  If so, what should it be? [/quote]
 We'll say that you have to visit our \"The Joke's On Us\" room.

rugrats1

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2003, 06:38:13 PM »
I think at one time the NBC station in Buffalo (I believe now WGRZ, not sure what it was back then) was carrying Perry CS...

At the time, the station was WGR-TV, but became WGRZ in the 1980s after the owners sold off their radio stations.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2003, 12:47:36 PM »
Quote:
I think at one time the NBC station in Buffalo (I believe now WGRZ, not sure what it was back then) was carrying Perry CS, which would've meant viewers in Toronto could watch it from there as well (alas, on the one trip I took to Canada in August 1978, they were not carrying it).

--------

When \"Card Sharks\" debuted, it was originally only on Ch. 8 Rochester.  Ch. 2 Buffalo didn't pick it up until several months later.  Ch. 9 in Toronto also aired it for a while.

Sometime back on the GSN boards, I posted a list of all US game shows on Canadian stations from the mid-70s to the present.  It was so long ago it's probably hopelessly buried, but many, many US shows were carried on Canadian stations.  Sometimes Canadian stations (especially in the Toronto area) would air shows Buffalo stations wouldn't.  

Three examples that come to mind - \"Press Your Luck\" was on Ch. 57 Toronto during 1985, up until the time change.  Ch. 4 Buffalo dropped it in August 1985 for \"Sally Jesse Raphael\".  Also, when \"Card Sharks\" returned, and replaced it in January 1986, Ch. 57 aired that.  At that time, no Buffalo or Rochester station did.

During the '70s, the same station aired the second season of Cullen's \"$25,000 Pyramid\", when the Buffalo station dropped it after the first year.  And it was previously mentioned that in the late '70s they aired \"Price is Right\" everyday at 5 p.m, one day ahead of CBS.  

Interestinly enough, when \"Price\" first expanded to an hour, it was still on Ch. 9.  They didn't run the hour-long shows, but half-hour repeats instead.  This carried on for a couple of years before they started running the hour-long shows.  Shortly after that it moved to Ch. 57 (CITY-TV).
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!