Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN, R.I.P.?  (Read 33213 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN, R.I.P.?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2003, 11:55:02 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 08:45 AM\'] And how many of you were PO'ed that they picked LC instead of Scrabble for Chuck's classic show?  :)
 [/quote]
 The possibility does exist, you know, that they were unable to secure Scrabble, and therefore had little choice but to get LC, if they wanted a Woolery-hosted show that wasn't Greed or WOF.

To be angry at a programming decision like that when you don't know half of the details, much less all of them, shows a great deal of ignorance.

The amount of whining in this thread is getting completely and utterly nauseating.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dan Sadro

GSN, R.I.P.?
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2003, 12:05:41 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 10:45 AM\'] Also, we're not the only ones who enjoy the classics.  As I mentioned in another thread, when my friends talk about and/or watch GSN, they mention the CLASSICS, not the ORIGINALS (I have one friend who likes "Cram" and another who despises "Lingo," and that's all they say about the originals).  Trust me, there are way more people that will raise an eyebrow to mention of "Bumper Stumpers" than will to "Cram;" at least, among people I know!
 [/quote]
 I think the people you know are not the standard-grade game show fans and are closer to becoming the hardcore fans that us wonderful people on this board are.  If I mentioned Bumper Stumpers to a standard-issue game show fan, I'd be immediately checked into a drug rehabilitation clinic.

As Matt said, nostalgia isn't what it used to be anymore, and he's right.  Instead of being a cornerstone, it's almost as if the classics are filler, and we all know that shouldn't be.

Why shouldn't it be?  Considering that the worst original is better than half of the shows they've had access to these 8-1/2 years, classics being filler could be a reasonable expectation.

BTW, I'm in that demo, and nothing ticks me off more than shows aimed at me since they're too flashy and don't even care about entertainment value; what's the point in wathching with that?

Maybe because you're not the average person in the demo?  I've come to accept that I'm far from average as far as television goes, so I end up watching some things that (based on age, gender, and location) I wouldn't be expected to watch.  I'm far from average because I'd prefer old, faded reruns of The $20,000 Pyramid to the current version (although I'm not knocking the current version at every possibile moment).

PeterMarshallFan

GSN, R.I.P.?
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2003, 12:24:01 PM »
I don't see why GSN just doesn't put some rare stuff on in the mornings from 9-12. That could shut up the BC's and JC's of GSN for a while and still have the primetime for originals.

beatlefreak84

GSN, R.I.P.?
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2003, 12:33:16 PM »
To be angry at a programming decision like that when you don't know half of the details, much less all of them, shows a great deal of ignorance.

Maybe next time I'll BOLD the smiley face, Chris!  Trust me, I don't have a hit list of all GSN employees on my computer, okay?  I was a little upset at the fact that LC is on the schedule, but, you're right, I don't know the circumstances behind it, and that's why I'm not upset anymore.  I've come to accept it as well as I have the originals.

I think the people you know are not the standard-grade game show fans and are closer to becoming the hardcore fans that us wonderful people on this board are. If I mentioned Bumper Stumpers to a standard-issue game show fan, I'd be immediately checked into a drug rehabilitation clinic.

Well, I do have one friend who can probably fit in quite well on this board, but the rest are about as clueless toward game shows as you can get (one even asked me if Bob Barker was still hosting TPIR).  My father, for example, didn't even know what \"Pyramid\" was yet knew \"Bumper Stumpers,\" and he profoundly hates all game shows except for that one.  Talk about strange!

The amount of whining in this thread is getting completely and utterly nauseating.

Well, I would hope that my responses weren't considered whining, but it's no surprise why this turned into a whining thread.  It's a programming change that's going to tick some people off (and, as is evident from the GSN boards, MANY!), and, to many of us, GSN is like our form of TV heaven, and we don't like things that could interfere with our TV heaven, right?  :).

Honestly, if GSN does turn into the next G4, I will be initially disappointed, but I've got tape after tape from the \"good ol' days,\" so I'll be kept busy for quite a while.  Hey; I lived through the USA abrupt end to the game show block; I can do this, too!  :)

Anthony
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 12:34:34 PM by beatlefreak84 »
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

clemon79

GSN, R.I.P.?
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2003, 01:44:45 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 09:33 AM\'] Maybe next time I'll BOLD the smiley face, Chris!  
Trust me, I don't have a hit list of all GSN employees on my computer, okay?  
 [/quote]
 Mea culpa, you're right, and my comments weren't directed towards you specifically. While you seem to have enough sense to accept what's going on, a lot of folks who have been yammering on about this don't.

Well, I would hope that my responses weren't considered whining, but it's no surprise why this turned into a whining thread.

Again, that wasn't directed at you, just the overall tone of what I've seen. We've got people screaming like the world is coming to an end, and while I love game shows as much as anyone here, if the evolution of GSN is really impacting your (the global \"your\") life in a negative way that much, I'm thinking some folks here would do well to pick up an extra hobby or two.

GS Warehouse

GSN, R.I.P.?
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2003, 04:42:06 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 10:45 AM\'] And how many of you were PO'ed that they picked LC instead of Scrabble for Chuck's classic show?  :) [/quote]
 I don't think the acquisition of LC had as much to do with Chuck as it is the (inexplicable) popularity of relationship shows, like The Bachelor.

However, I'll counter that argument by saying 1) GSN needs to keep their original programming within the confines of game shows (\"GS\"N), just like MTV should keep theirs within the confines of music (\"M\"TV).
Today, \"MTV\" is just initials that don't stand for anything.  MTV made the decision to divest themselves from music videos.  If GSN wants to move away from game shows and try to to get those Friends fans who'll buy anything they see on TV--but chase us away for good in the process--that's a risk they're willing to take.  They'll either end up just another USA or go down trying.

Bottom line: we're a dying breed.

ilb4ever2000

GSN, R.I.P.?
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2003, 04:51:34 PM »
I don't think the acquisition of LC had as much to do with Chuck as it is the (inexplicable) popularity of relationship shows, like The Bachelor.

I think the Chuck factor was a major reason.

Today, \"MTV\" is just initials that don't stand for anything.

Their logo still has the byline \"Music Television.\"

J.R.

GSN, R.I.P.?
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2003, 08:22:24 PM »
Pre-Cronin GSN Originals: Jep!, Throut and Neck, Burt Ludden's Love Buffet, All New 3s a Croud.

Cronin GSN: Whammy!, Russian Roulette, Lingo, WinTuition

You have to admit, they are getting WAY better.

GSN wants to deviate from it's roots, so be it. Thats why God invented the VCR, DVD, and other networks.

(Food Network is a good one)
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Jimmy Owen

GSN, R.I.P.?
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2003, 08:55:50 PM »
I enjoy Food Network too, but anybody notice that their schedule lately includes a good number of game shows?  Are they straying from their original focus on cooking shows?   :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 08:58:26 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PeterMarshallFan

GSN, R.I.P.?
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2003, 09:23:55 PM »
I'm sorry, but I'm gonna say what's been burning on my mind for a while.

Being game show freaks doesn't exactly put us on the top rung of the social ladder. I'm sure that quite a few of us, myself and the late Randy Amasia included, have felt at one time or another that we were the only game show fans. Not true when we discovered GSN and places like ATGS and it's successors. GSN let us see all the shows we grew up with, and ATGS let us discuss them with other game show freaks. I mean, outside of us fans, who cares about how the Concentration board works or how much TPiR announcers get paid?

Now, look at GSN today. A whole boatload of originals, some good (Whammy, Lingo, Russian Roulette), some average (WinTuition, Funny Money), and some downright bad (Cram, Friend or Foe). The few classics left are either at rotten times or seemingly abandoned. Love Connection is not a game show (don't play the \"EoTVGS lists it\" card. They left out Fantasy, which had more game show-ness than LC), MG syndie is only on weekends, as is the original Squares. MGPM gets maybe too much exposure, NNG is in an OK slot, Pyramid's been rerun abused, LMAD has been reran too much, as has Blockbusters. The vertivision blocks are only temporary.

And then we get this: GSN throws mucho buckos at importing a British video game show. [Insert \"Whew\" longshot screech here] Even worse, it's already being rerun on a little network called G4. So what in the blue hell is it doing here?! IMO, Rich Cronin really stuck his foot in his mouth when he said \"we will expand but stay true to our brand.\"

Which gets me to the point of this rant: if the video game block succeeds, more of it's kind will be brought in, gradually eradicating all the classic game shows. So where, pray tell, do us game show obsessed freaks go now?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 09:24:31 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

GS Warehouse

GSN, R.I.P.?
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2003, 09:57:04 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 08:23 PM\'] And then we get this: GSN throws mucho buckos at importing a British video game show. [Insert "Whew" longshot screech here] Even worse, it's already being rerun on a little network called G4. So what in the blue hell is it doing here?! ... if the video game block succeeds, more of it's kind will be brought in, gradually eradicating all the classic game shows. [/quote]
 There is one ray of hope: GSN imported Who Dares Wins to capitalize on the (even more inexplicable) success of Fear Factor.  Had it gone over big, we wouldn't have Lingo now; we'd have more stunt shows.  Fortunately, WDW laid a big egg and it's back in Australia where it belongs.

But while I won't play the LC card, I must say this: I do not get G4.  Neither do millions of viewers, so it's new to us.  We'll just have to see how this plays out.

clemon79

GSN, R.I.P.?
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2003, 10:08:57 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 06:23 PM\'] So where, pray tell, do us game show obsessed freaks go now? [/quote]
 How about \"outside?\" :)

George, George, George, you are illustrating my point perfectly. I salute and support you in your love for this genre of television, but fer God sake, man.

I'm 32 years old. I didn't have GSN until I moved up here to Seattle almost five years ago. I don't trade tapes. Hell, the only GS-related videotape in my library (if you don't count Iron Chef) is the Larsen special.

I made it 27 years without GSN. I'm pretty sure I won't drop dead if it goes away. (Frankly, for me, any reason to watch the channel regularly dove about the same time they lost TPiR, stuck the B/W shows on overnights, and pretty much killed the variety of programming with reairs of the original shows.)

Raygor's got the right idea. There are other things you can watch if you still have to watch TV.

TonicBH

GSN, R.I.P.?
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2003, 04:21:31 AM »
Time for me to put in my $1.02 in this:

I've been a hardcore GS fan since I was a TODDLER. I was watching USA Game Shows EVERY DAY. I have three tapes recorded from USA! I'd been killing for GSN, since I only had about 15 or so tapes. when I got GSN, it ballooned to over 60.

So this video game thing might be a problem. Folks, I've seen both shows on G4. The only problem is that the news there is months outdated! There's previews for games that are \"set to come out in a few months\"... IN EUROPE. In the US, it's already out! Just an example...

While, yes, I can live without GSN (it just means my tape collection will screech to a halt again), I just wish it didn't keep going through these phases where they do something real good (like acquire PYL, for example), then do something bad (getting the VG block)...

Now that I've probably ranted on stuff not even mentioned in the topic, I wrap it up. :P
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

urbanpreppie05

GSN, R.I.P.?
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2003, 09:51:27 AM »
I've been a hardcore GS fan since I was a TODDLER. I was watching USA Game Shows EVERY DAY. I have three tapes recorded from USA! I'd been killing for GSN, since I only had about 15 or so tapes. when I got GSN, it ballooned to over 60.

But that's the thing...I'm not saying you do this, but some Game Show fans think that GSN exists only for their tape collecting pleasure. It doesn't work that way.
BTW, we didn't get cable til 1993. (don't ask) and the day after it was installed, who stayed home from school to watch Sale of The Century? :-)

Which gets me to the point of this rant: if the video game block succeeds, more of it's kind will be brought in, gradually eradicating all the classic game shows. So where, pray tell, do us game show obsessed freaks go now?

But do you really think it will succeed? I mean, If a baby network like G4 drops it, what makes GSn think it will do well on their network? (Which brings up a new question for me...why did GSn get this?) I don't think this will be a problem. I think you may be jumping the gun here. Cronin is not stupid enough to drop all of the classics. FF, TNG, and MG pull good enough ratings to stick around. So do the new originals, like FM, Lingo, RR and W!. I think everyone is suspecting and reading WAAAYYY too much into this. And you have to admit too...they didn't get rid of all the classics, just 6 hours worth...out of 125+. Just let it pass...and wait and see. Don't say GSN is dying, give it some time.
insert signature here

aaron sica

GSN, R.I.P.?
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2003, 12:33:42 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 10 2003, 08:51 AM\'] they didn't get rid of all the classics, just 6 hours worth...out of 125+. Just let it pass...and wait and see. Don't say GSN is dying, give it some time. [/quote]
 Way back on the old stomping grounds (a.t.g-s of course), T. Jay posted how Cartoon Network and GSN are similar in that they both started with an all-classics lineup, and eventually just added more and more original shows......CN, while most of their schedule is filled with their originals, still makes time for some older classics. I also don't think GSN is dying....I always think there will be room for classic shows on their schedule, even if it's confined to a few short hours a day, if it ever comes to that.