Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New TPiR game debuts Friday  (Read 10406 times)

zachhoran

New TPiR game debuts Friday
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 12:10:46 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 26 2004, 11:00 AM\'] [quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 26 2004, 07:52 AM\']Is Half-0ff the first game produced by a Hah-vard grad? I had heard Pick a Number had Ivy League connections... :)
[/quote]
Seems to me that Rog went to Yale--his thesis on "The Psychology of the Television Audience Participation Program" was what he sent to Goodson that got him his job at G-T.

And I remember Barker saying after the first playing of Ten Chances that "Roger Dobkowitz has really created something here." [/quote]
 Though he didn't technically work the Barker TPIR, Ira Skutch went to Dartmouth, as per an article by MOnty Hall(about game show hosts and producers and where they went to school) in the 1/87 issue of TV Game SHow Magazine.

tyshaun1

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2004, 12:34:07 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 26 2004, 11:10 AM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 26 2004, 11:00 AM\'] [quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 26 2004, 07:52 AM\']Is Half-0ff the first game produced by a Hah-vard grad? I had heard Pick a Number had Ivy League connections... :)
[/quote]
Seems to me that Rog went to Yale--his thesis on "The Psychology of the Television Audience Participation Program" was what he sent to Goodson that got him his job at G-T.

And I remember Barker saying after the first playing of Ten Chances that "Roger Dobkowitz has really created something here." [/quote]
Though he didn't technically work the Barker TPIR, Ira Skutch went to Dartmouth, as per an article by MOnty Hall(about game show hosts and producers and where they went to school) in the 1/87 issue of TV Game SHow Magazine. [/quote]
 Gee, Zach, now wouldn't that make your post completely off topic here, since they were mentioning Pricing Games created by Ivy League students, not producers who went to Ivy League schools? Once again, PJTP

Tyshaun

tvrandywest

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2004, 01:14:28 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'May 26 2004, 07:04 AM\'] To be fair, I'd say that there's a part that's clearly reminiscent of one past pricing game, but since that game has been retired, it doesn't matter. [/quote]
 You are absolutely correct Scott, at least in how the reveal is staged. But I don't remember the play/strategy/challenge being similar in that retired game. But we'll soon hear many opinions   ;-)  I assume you saw "Half Off" in rehearsal because I didn't see you at Tuesday's taping, cetainly not "in uniform". I looked for you to say "hi" and to congratulate you (publicly now) on doing your homework from Michigan, having the committment to make the move to town, and the skills to quickly get your first job. Continued success!

I've figured it out: TVVOICR. They both want to do announcing for television!!!
Useless trivia motivated by how you arranged those letters...
Burton's license plate: TVVOICE
My license plate: TV VO (VO = industry shorthand for "voiceover")
I only recently saw our cars together.

Oh, and I went to Stamford, but I couldn't find a parking space. It sure looked nice from the car   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Steve McClellan

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2004, 01:27:55 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'May 26 2004, 10:14 AM\'] [quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'May 26 2004, 07:04 AM\'] To be fair, I'd say that there's a part that's clearly reminiscent of one past pricing game, but since that game has been retired, it doesn't matter. [/quote]
You are absolutely correct Scott, at least in how the reveal is staged. [/quote]
 Even so, it *looks* a heck of a lot cooler. :)

Timsterino

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2004, 09:15:46 PM »
I am at a friends house in Irvine.  Steve and I were at the taping of Friday's show coincidently.  We were proud to be there when Mandel's game was debuted.

Mandel - Congrats on the game debut! It looks fantastic! It was nice to see Bob giving you props during the commercial break.

Steve, thanks for coming to meet Erika and I, it was great to finally meet you! I will send you a private e-mail when we get home.

Randy, it was great meeting you and shaking your hand. It was great to see you there.

Timothy :-)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 09:17:26 PM by Timsterino »

adamjk

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2004, 09:20:32 PM »
I can't wait for this, it sounds awesome!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 09:49:00 PM by adamjk »

tyshaun1

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2004, 09:46:29 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 26 2004, 08:20 PM\'] I can't for this, it sounds awesome! [/quote]
 Apparently, you can't for many things, Adam. ;)

Tyshaun

adamjk

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2004, 09:49:54 PM »
Whoops! Sorry again. I guess my mind isn't working right today. lol

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2004, 10:10:12 PM »
Actually, Mandel has been "tooting his own horn," but he's been doing it at his blog site.  With that in mind, congrats to Mandel.  Your acheivements continue to do the online fan community proud.  (I can only hope I can match them one day.)

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

passwordplus

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2004, 01:53:48 AM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 26 2004, 09:49 PM\'] Whoops! Sorry again. I guess my mind isn't working right today. lol [/quote]
 You are at least "half off" and can admit to it(unlike some people here)

Anyways, let's hope there aren't "loud colors" on this game like OTS has.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2004, 04:55:30 AM »
Roger preceded me by several years at San Francisco State University.

Jonathan Goodson got his undergraduate degree at Stanford and his law degree at Yale.

Howard Felsher went to Princeton.

Ira went to Dartmouth.

John Daly went to Marist College.

Charles Van Doren was a professor at Columbia.

SplitSecond dropped out of USC :-P

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2004, 05:04:29 AM »
Before its debut, I'd like to say some things that I think might happen to the set & its placement.

1.  The game is most likely will be on the stage.

2.  It might be small enough to be concealed behind the giant price tag.

3.  The color scheme will be totally diffrent from all the other schemes I've seen.

There.  I didn't spoil anything here.  Just my own thoughts on what "Half-Off" might look like in terms of placement & color scheme.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 05:05:50 AM by Craig Karlberg »

dazztardly

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2004, 05:48:22 AM »
I'm gonna be able to catch it, but I'm still taping anyways. Looking foward to seeing this in action.

Kudos Mandel, you've officially made the big time. ;)
-Dan

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2004, 12:23:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 27 2004, 05:04 AM\'] Before its debut, I'd like to say some things that I think might happen to the set & its placement.

1.  The game is most likely will be on the stage.

2.  It might be small enough to be concealed behind the giant price tag.

3.  The color scheme will be totally diffrent from all the other schemes I've seen. [/quote]
 If this isn't posting just to post, I don't know what is.  This is random speculation with absolutely no factual merit.  The only thing you, me, and 99% of the board knows about the pricing game is Mandel created it.

There.  I didn't spoil anything here.  Just my own thoughts on what "Half-Off" might look like in terms of placement & color scheme.

You didn't spoil anything.  Then again, you didn't add any worthwhile information.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2004, 02:09:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 27 2004, 02:04 AM\'] The game is most likely will be on the stage. [/quote]
 Well, they certainly don't play it in the middle of the audience! :)