Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New TPiR game debuts Friday  (Read 10403 times)

tvrandywest

New TPiR game debuts Friday
« on: May 26, 2004, 01:00:37 AM »
Our friend Madel Ilagen must be too humble and modest to have posted the news - two afflictions I've never suffered from! So let me toot his horn for him. No spoilers.

Months ago Mandel had an inspiration in his car for a new "Price" game he calls "Half Off". He developed the idea and pitched it to Roger who loved it. Bob loved it, and everybody who saw it loved it. It took quite a while for the game's set to be built, and when you see it you'll know why. It is the nicest set built for the show in years! A classic Price look - great stuff.

There were a few rehearsals in recent weeks where, according to Bob, the usual tweaks were unnecessary - it was perfectly conceived. Most amazing to me is that it is not reminiscent of any other of the dozens of games that I can remember being conceived over the years - it's totally original, and yet this pricing game is a perfect fit with the show. Mandel is rightfully very proud. Our boy even got a hand from the studio audience when introduced by Bob as the game's creator. Kudos buddy!!

The game's debut taped today (Tuesday) and will air this Friday. 5/28. It's the second game played. And if you spot me in the audience it will not be necessary to start a thread of conjecture of what secret meaning it has, like we do everytime Todd visits!   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 04:54:28 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up Randy.  Problem is, I might be leaving my niece's house for the Memorial Day holiday weekend.  Oh well!

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 07:08:08 AM »
Yes, a big congrats to my friend Mandel.  :)

Don Howard

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 07:11:41 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'May 26 2004, 12:00 AM\'] And if you spot me in the audience it will not be necessary to start a thread of conjecture of what secret meaning it has, like we do everytime Todd visits!   ;-)

[/quote]
 What?!? You're saying there's no need for gossip with no foundation? My God, man, what do you expect us to talk about all weekend?

gtbecbp

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 08:32:14 AM »
Congratulations, Mandel!!  I can hardly wait to see it.

Ben

tvwxman

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 08:52:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 26 2004, 03:54 AM\'] Thanks for the heads-up Randy.  Problem is, I might be leaving my niece's house for the Memorial Day holiday weekend.  Oh well! [/quote]
Crud...can we reschedule the premiere because he won't be able to see it?

Seriously , this is great news for a good guy who deserves success...

Is Half-0ff the first game produced by a Hah-vard grad? I had heard Pick a Number had Ivy League connections... :)

ms
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 08:52:49 AM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

dzinkin

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 09:52:35 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'May 26 2004, 01:00 AM\'] The game's debut taped today (Tuesday) and will air this Friday. 5/28. It's the second game played. And if you spot me in the audience it will not be necessary to start a thread of conjecture of what secret meaning it has, like we do everytime Todd visits!   ;-) [/quote]
 We don't need to speculate on why you're there, Randy.  We already know that you're spying for a foreign government. :-)

Seriously... kudos to Mandel.  I'm not a regular TPIR viewer but I'll be watching that day.

dzinkin

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 09:53:59 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 26 2004, 08:52 AM\'] [quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 26 2004, 03:54 AM\'] Thanks for the heads-up Randy.  Problem is, I might be leaving my niece's house for the Memorial Day holiday weekend.  Oh well! [/quote]
Crud...can we reschedule the premiere because he won't be able to see it? [/quote]
 Why'd you have to say that, Matt?  GEEZ!

;-)

David Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 10:34:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 26 2004, 03:54 AM\'] Thanks for the heads-up Randy.  Problem is, I might be leaving my niece's house for the Memorial Day holiday weekend.  Oh well! [/quote]
 That IS a problem. If only someone would create a contraption that allows you to record a program when you aren't around to watch it right away. Thanks for alerting us to the situation.

tvrandywest

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 10:36:33 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 26 2004, 05:52 AM\'] We don't need to speculate on why you're there, Randy.  We already know that you're spying for a foreign government. :-) [/quote]
 Thanks for obscuring the true facts with that red herring, David. You very well might have delayed the awful day when the truth about Todd and my visits is finally discovered.

Meanwhile, I sure hope I didn't over-sell the debut of "Half Off" by being caught up in Mandel's and the on-set excitement. I don't think I did, and I'm anxious to see our members' reaction when the game debut airs.

For those bemoaning that they won't be home, I'd suggest some arbitrary letters such as  V C R T I V O. But chances are some of you may stare at it for hours trying to rearrange the letters to form a hint that serves to further divulge the truth behind Todd and my visits to Price!   ;-]

Congrats again, Mandel.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 11:04:16 AM »
To be fair, I'd say that there's a part that's clearly reminiscent of one past pricing game, but since that game has been retired, it doesn't matter.

For those bemoaning that they won't be home, I'd suggest some arbitrary letters such as V C R T I V O. But chances are some of you may stare at it for hours trying to rearrange the letters to form a hint that serves to further divulge the truth behind Todd and my visits to Price! ;-]

Okay, out with it, who's Victor V.? Is he your boss at the Spanish government?

--
Scott Robinson

vtown7

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2004, 11:34:02 AM »
Kudos Mandel!

Can you becoming president of Fremantle be far behind???

Cheers,

Ryan :)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2004, 11:35:37 AM »
I've figured it out: TVVOICR.  They both want to do announcing for television!!!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2004, 11:40:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 26 2004, 03:54 AM\'] Thanks for the heads-up Randy.  Problem is, I might be leaving my niece's house for the Memorial Day holiday weekend.  Oh well! [/quote]
 Well GEEZ!  Utilize a damn vcr!
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2004, 12:00:18 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 26 2004, 07:52 AM\']Is Half-0ff the first game produced by a Hah-vard grad? I had heard Pick a Number had Ivy League connections... :)
[/quote]
Seems to me that Rog went to Yale--his thesis on "The Psychology of the Television Audience Participation Program" was what he sent to Goodson that got him his job at G-T.

And I remember Barker saying after the first playing of Ten Chances that "Roger Dobkowitz has really created something here."