Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My latest Hollywood trip  (Read 4351 times)

Winkfan

My latest Hollywood trip
« on: July 08, 2003, 05:33:46 PM »
I've been meaning to give some of you the details on how I spent my 41st birthday last week, but with one thing and another, I never got around to doing so--until now.

As I did last year on my 40th birthday, I spent the day in Hollywood. I spent a couple of hours visiting UCLA, I didn't check out their media library, though. The building that housed them was undergoing reconstruction. I also went to a shop on Hollywood Boulevard called Backlot Books and Posters. They have a ton of old photos of hundreds of celebs, including many game show pics. I bought about 28 of the game show photos; 12 of them were from the old Pantomime Quiz show. (and they were ALL of host Mike Stokey to boot!) I also got an old Radio & TV Mirror issure from 1955 which had an article on Bud Collyer.

Needless to say, I had a great time!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the Annette Cash of the Big Board!'
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

vtown7

My latest Hollywood trip
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 10:36:34 AM »
Tammy -

What a great way to spend a birthday! I'm heading to LA this weekend (big pilgramage - I'm Canadian and flying out of Buffalo) to see TPIR.  Wondering where on Hollywood Boulevard this shop would be - would love to visit it!

Thanks in advance,

Ryan V.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
My latest Hollywood trip
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 11:46:44 AM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 07:36 AM\'] Wondering where on Hollywood Boulevard this shop would be - would love to visit it!
 [/quote]
 A little bit of Google work reveals that it's on the corner of Hollywood and Vine, so I imagine you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Winkfan

My latest Hollywood trip
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 06:56:23 PM »
Wondering where on Hollywood Boulevard this shop would be - would love to visit it!
If you ever do go there, good luck. I bought many of the 'good' pics. But who knows? Maybe they'll come up with some since my last visit. There's another collectors' bookstore a few block up Hollywood Boulevard; maybe they'll have some stuff there.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Annette Cash of the Big Board!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:43:31 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Matt Ottinger

My latest Hollywood trip
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 11:11:35 PM »
I'd also highly recommend a store -- whose name I can't recall right now, naturally -- in the old downtown of Burbank.  (One of you California types could help out here.)  Still, the downtown Burbank strip is only a few blocks long, it won't be hard to find.  It's an all-entertainment used book store with tons of books, magazines and photographs.  A must-see stop when I make my annual pilgrimages to the Holy Land of TV production.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

vtown7

My latest Hollywood trip
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 09:23:37 AM »
clemon79 said:

A little bit of Google work reveals that it's on the corner of Hollywood and Vine, so I imagine you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it. :)

Thanks, Chris!  This will work perfectly as that's the EXACT corner where we're staying :)

Winkfan said:

If you ever do go there, good luck. I bought many of the 'good' pics. But who knows? Maybe they'll come up with some since my last visit.

We'll see... I don't have too much money to throw around.  About how much would I be looking at per picture, Tammy (or anyone else)?

Matt Ottinger said:

I'd also highly recommend a store -- whose name I can't recall right now, naturally -- in the old downtown of Burbank.

Alas, my time in LA is severely limited - flying in and some sightseeing on Saturday, tour of the city and a beach visit on Sunday, TPIR on Monday, fly back Tuesday.  It's not long, but I got a great deal on a flight ($290 round trip from Buffalo) so I really can't complain!

Maybe next time (which at this rate will be 2010...)

Thanks for your help, guys!

Ryan V.

mandelweb

My latest Hollywood trip
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 04:56:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 9 2003, 10:11 PM\']I'd also highly recommend a store -- whose name I can't recall right now, naturally -- in the old downtown of Burbank.  (One of you California types could help out here.)  [/quote]

Matt, would you be thinking of \"Blast from the Past\" on Magnoila Blvd.?  I haven't been there myself, but a few friends of mine go there quite a bit.  This store specializes in TV, movie, and other pop-culture toys, games, and knicknacks.  I passed by there not too long ago and saw some old Charlie's Angels posters (the TV series, not the movie) in the windows.

- Mandel
http://mandelweb.com

Matt Ottinger

My latest Hollywood trip
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2003, 05:22:15 PM »
Matt, would you be thinking of \"Blast from the Past\" on Magnoila Blvd.? I haven't been there myself, but a few friends of mine go there quite a bit. This store specializes in TV, movie, and other pop-culture toys, games, and knicknacks. I passed by there not too long ago and saw some old Charlie's Angels posters (the TV series, not the movie) in the windows.
I don't think so, although that sounds pretty terrific as well.  This is purely a used book store, and looks like one too, with narrow aisles and stacks piled up in seemingly no order at all.  Its focus is books and magazines about the entertainment industry, but it doesn't look much different than the used book stores here in Michigan.  As I recall, it didn't have anything in the way of toys & games or other memorabilia like that -- and I would *definitely* have noticed if they had games!

But...uh...yeah, \"Blast from the Past\" on my next trip, definitely!

bricon

My latest Hollywood trip
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2003, 02:14:10 PM »
It might be Book Castle's Movie World, on San Fernando Road.

http://www.bookcastlesmovieworld.com/

Matt Ottinger

My latest Hollywood trip
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2003, 04:01:01 PM »
Thanks, Brian, that's the place.