Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF Wheelmobile Tryouts Philly/AC  (Read 2786 times)

goongas

WOF Wheelmobile Tryouts Philly/AC
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2004, 04:57:16 PM »
I'm curious if others felt the same way, and if there are any thoughts as to how they could change the process, in light of the huge amount of people who want to try out.

I attended the Wheelmobile Event the first Saturday they were in AC and it was a letdown.  Not because I wasn't picked (I realized I couldn't fake what they want), but because of the process.  They made us wait in a line outside for a long time, and then they pick about 25-30 out of a showroom full of people to play.  I also saw only a handful of people that would get callbacks to the final audition.

I thought "the show" they put on was cheesy (I guess it has to be in a way).  I thought to myself there has to be a better way for them to choose contestants.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2004, 06:40:39 PM »
The highlight of the wait was that Holly was HOT.

uncamark

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2004, 06:48:07 PM »
There is--you head to the Coast, get an appointment for an interview and drive out to Culver City--but it's a great promotion and it looks better for news spots to show thousands of people in an arena than 50 in a hotel meeting room filling out test forms.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2004, 05:53:09 AM »
I guess I'm not "cut-out" to be a WOF contestant anyways.  I'll stick to the video game versions.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2004, 11:38:22 AM »
At the same time, I would think most intelligent viewers can tell the different between a player who is spinning to milk the puzzle, and spinning because they just plain don't know it yet. Most times it's pretty obvious.

Yep. It's never a case of looking at somebody guess all the pertinent letters and make the most of the $900 space or top dollar, etc. It's usually the dolts who buy vowels on something like D_N'T SELL Y_URSELF SH_RT.

I would love to be on WoF personally, but they seem to weed out the good players if only for their dry personalities. I can't imagine the good solvers being anything but bespectacled crossword puzzle fans, anyhow. ;)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

wasabe

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2004, 10:57:20 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 16 2004, 05:48 PM\']There is--you head to the Coast, get an appointment for an interview and drive out to Culver City[/quote]
So, are you saying that they do the local L.A. auditions again?  Because as I noted earlier, I called last year and was told they no longer do those.

Any info would be appreciated.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2004, 11:21:34 PM »
[quote name=\'wasabe\' date=\'Jun 17 2004, 07:57 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 16 2004, 05:48 PM\']There is--you head to the Coast, get an appointment for an interview and drive out to Culver City[/quote]
So, are you saying that they do the local L.A. auditions again?  Because as I noted earlier, I called last year and was told they no longer do those.

Any info would be appreciated. [/quote]
 Here's some: you don't know how to read.

Uncamark was offering up the "better way to choose contestants" that Goongas was asking for, and then explained why they don't do it that way.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

wasabe

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2004, 09:58:25 AM »
You're right.  Looking back, I can see it that way now.  My initial reading of the post was that Uncamark was implying that they do both, but the larger event gets the coverage.

Sorry.

bellbm

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2004, 10:55:51 AM »
I don't think they take anyone directly from the Wheelmobile.  They use this as a way to get people to the audition.  My guess is that if you go up on stage, and are good, they will invite you for another audition.  Then, they randomly mail or email people who have registered at the event.  If you want to be a contestant, it is worth the time.  When they were in Chicago I went to the Wheelmobile, didn't get called up, but did get an audition when they came back.  The Wheelmobile was in October and the auditions were in April.  I also signed up on ABC 7s website, and then got the email, so I don't know if I was chosen from the website of through the wheelmobile.

But either way, I made it to the show!

uncamark

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2004, 03:21:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 17 2004, 10:21 PM\'][quote name=\'wasabe\' date=\'Jun 17 2004, 07:57 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 16 2004, 05:48 PM\']There is--you head to the Coast, get an appointment for an interview and drive out to Culver City[/quote]

Any info would be appreciated. [/quote]
Here's some: you don't know how to read.

Uncamark was offering up the "better way to choose contestants" that Goongas was asking for, and then explained why they don't do it that way.[/quote]
Also, 'Ol Dummy was assuming that they were still doing regular contestant interviews in Culver City, like they still do for "J!"  But after checking *their* web site, it does seem like they don't do *any* interviews in Southern California, but instead travel around the country, with the Wheelmobile and the web site feeding them prospective contestants for the tryouts.  My bad.

I guess that's the advantage of being on so long--and it does keep down on having mostly Southern Californians (and having to do that "originally from..." bit in the intro if, like a lot of Southern Californians, grew up somewhere else).