Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF Wheelmobile Tryouts Philly/AC  (Read 2779 times)

goongas

WOF Wheelmobile Tryouts Philly/AC
« on: May 24, 2004, 11:53:02 AM »
Go to Wheel Tryout Info for more information.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 12:07:01 PM »
Thanks!  Here's a slightly more direct link.

I guess I should go track down the Wheel Mobile.  :)  Anyone else going?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 02:16:17 PM by ClockGameJohn »

inturnaround

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 05:39:13 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'May 24 2004, 11:53 AM\'] Go to Wheel Tryout Info for more information. [/quote]
 Thanks a lot! WOF may not be my game, but it certainly can't hurt to give it a whirl. I'm not sure if I'm going to go, but I'm going to think about it.

Good luck to those who do go!
Joe Coughlin     
Human

cmjb13

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 05:47:41 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'May 24 2004, 05:39 PM\'][quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'May 24 2004, 11:53 AM\'] Go to Wheel Tryout Info for more information. [/quote]
Thanks a lot! WOF may not be my game, but it certainly can't hurt to give it a whirl. I'm not sure if I'm going to go, but I'm going to think about it.

Good luck to those who do go![/quote]
The one in AC might be good to go, but does anybody know the success rate of mass auditions like these?

I mean if you watch Wheel (I really don't) you pretty much see the same type of people on every episode.

At least with J!, you can somewhat gauge one's ability to play the game.

How do they determine a good contestant when they all pretty much do the same thing? (yell out letters)
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

uncamark

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 06:27:51 PM »
Outside of the personality factors, a good "Wheel" contestant should be a good speller, because spelling's half the battle.  If you can't spell worth a darn, you're lost at Hangman--and there are many intelligent people who still can't spell.  That's why there's "J!"  :)

As we all should know, one of the reasons that "Wheel" contestants are often considered dummies is because of the fact that they don't have to solve the puzzle the instant they know it, but can keep going to build up their banks.  Some people see that as stupidity because they don't get the other part of the game--the part of risking their score to earn more.  On the other hand, the opportunity to keep going until the puzzle is blindingly obvious is one of the reasons for the show's success--unless someone makes the occasional quick solve, almost anyone watching will be able to "solve" a puzzle.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 12:34:18 PM by uncamark »

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 06:44:41 PM »
It's worth a shot.  If I get there and it looks to be a fiasco, I'll just roll I guess.

I'm supposed to be in OCMD that second weekend in AC, but I guess I could take the ferry over.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 07:45:45 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 24 2004, 03:27 PM\'] Some people see that as stupidity because they don't get the other part of the game--the part of risking their score to earn more. [/quote]
 At the same time, I would think most intelligent viewers can tell the different between a player who is spinning to milk the puzzle, and spinning because they just plain don't know it yet. Most times it's pretty obvious.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 06:09:05 AM »
I'm sure J-Man from Deleware who has his own site will no doubt provide in-depth coverage to Wheel's latest trip to Philadelphia.  My guess that the shows will air either in November 2004 or May 2005 because I don't see a Sweethearts Week scheduled there.  Teen Best Friends Week scare me there, but the other weeks including Family Week will be intresting to watch.

zachhoran

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 09:13:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 25 2004, 05:09 AM\'] I'm sure J-Man from Deleware who has his own site will no doubt provide in-depth coverage to Wheel's latest trip to Philadelphia.  My guess that the shows will air either in November 2004 or May 2005 because I don't see a Sweethearts Week scheduled there.  Teen Best Friends Week scare me there, but the other weeks including Family Week will be intresting to watch. [/quote]
 The website says the shows are taping this SUmmer, ergo it's possible they'll kick off the new season with the Philly season. The 1997-98 season began with a road show at the Ohio STate Fair, and IIRC the 1998-99 season began with the Pittsburgh road shows.

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 09:26:46 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 25 2004, 06:13 AM\'] The website says the shows are taping this summer, ergo it's possible they'll kick off the new season with the Philly season. The 1997-98 season began with a road show at the Ohio STate Fair, and IIRC the 1998-99 season began with the Pittsburgh road shows. [/quote]
 Granted, but the two times WOF has been in Seattle, the episodes were taped in August but not aired until November sweeps.

Esoteric Eric, who has a KOMO 4 / WOF promotional mouse pad in work to prove it.  (Speaking of work... gotta go.)
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

davewalls

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 11:23:45 AM »
What the hell. WOF isn't exactly my thing for a show, but I'll never turn down the chance to audition and win 100 thooooooooousand dollars.

The whole thing sounds pretty random, though, so I dont know how well it would go over. I'm thinking the event held in AC on June 5/6 sounds better (even thought it's farther away from me in Delaware). I'd rather take my chances with a air-conditioned room at the Sands over the Wachovia Center parking lot in mid June. ;p
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

ChuckNet

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 11:37:42 AM »
The one in AC might be good to go, but does anybody know the success rate of mass auditions like these?

You better be lucky, that's all...literally hundreds of people turned out for last yr's audition at the Showboat, and only a scant handful were chosen to play the mock game.

That said, I'll more than likely be at the Sands in 2 wks for this next one...maybe I'll finally get lucky this time!

Chuck Donegan (The Hopeful "Chuckie Baby")

uncamark

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 12:43:26 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 24 2004, 06:45 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 24 2004, 03:27 PM\'] Some people see that as stupidity because they don't get the other part of the game--the part of risking their score to earn more. [/quote]
At the same time, I would think most intelligent viewers can tell the different between a player who is spinning to milk the puzzle, and spinning because they just plain don't know it yet. Most times it's pretty obvious.[/quote]
Point well taken--and I will readily agree that the current contestant bookers on "Wheel" seem to take personality more into account than game playing ability.

Back when I tried out for the show in 1982, I overdid the enthusiasm thing really noticeably and that's why I think I didn't get chosen to go on (although now-disgraced journalist Bob Greene did choose me to take part in a group interview for his Esquire column--I'm now surprised since I wasn't a teenage girl [:)]).  Seemed to me in retrospect that back then they were going for something in enthusiasm between a "J!" contestant and some of the hyper players they booked back when they started on network in the Lin Bolen days.

To describe how it went (and this was back in the beginning of out-of-town contestant searches), after the written test Tony Pandolfo went up to a blackboard, made some marks and then went around the room and played the game, using a riiiiiiiggggged wheel (as in easily stopped) to see people's reactions on hitting a Bankrupt and such.  In many ways, one of the more entertaining tryouts I've been to, since everyone got to actively play the game for a little bit.  After they went around the room a few times, they then picked the people for a personality interview, which I lost out on.  Oh well.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004, 12:36:00 PM »
Well, I (along with approximately 8,000 others) tried the Philadelphia Wheelmobile event.  For anyone who is familiar with the Philadelphia sports complexes, the line began inside the Eastern-most door of the Wachovia Center and ran down the parking lot, around the Spectrum, and clear over to Citizen's Park.  8,000 is not an exaggeration.

Had a little bit of fun in line just talking with people.  I arrived at 4PM as instructed, and made it into the final "show" of the night at 7:30.  If I was a contestant coordinator, I would have likely found at least 2 contestants who I would bring back.  Many others did not fit.  

The final tryouts begin this week.  Did anyone else attend?

wasabe

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2004, 04:05:45 PM »
I attended the event on Saturday, June 12, and got into all three shows.  

The shows had crowds of varying sizes, I'd say anywhere from 700-1000 people each.  My name was not chosen at random from the drum of applications. Between 40 and 50 names were picked each show.

If pressed, I 'd have to say that maybe 3 or 4 of the people I saw in total could be chosen as contestants.  In fact, a large majority of the people chosen to go up on stage had no shot at all.  Many seemed too frail to be even able to spin the wheel if given the chance. (There were a large number of retirees in attendance at the Sands).

I know that WOF, as "America's Game" is unbelievably popular, but it just seems like there should be a better way to pick contestants.  About a year ago, I called the production office in L.A. because I was going to be there on business, and thought I might be able to schedule an audition at their offices.  But I was told that they no longer do that.  The Wheelmobile is the only way to go.  

While I'm not a particularly huge Wheel fan, I do think I would make a good contestant.  It was kind of frustrating to sit through those shows on Saturday, and not get a chance to prove it.  

I'm curious if others felt the same way, and if there are any thoughts as to how they could change the process, in light of the huge amount of people who want to try out.