Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game Audience Participation  (Read 4994 times)

PartingGift

Match Game Audience Participation
« on: July 08, 2003, 09:18:49 AM »
To me, it seems strange to watch an episode of Match Game '74 where Gene Rayburn says, \"Dumb Dora is so dumb...\" and the audience does *not* say, \"How dumb is she?\"  When did the audience start participating?

(Perhaps I'm getting the wrong impression, but in later episodes of MG, I get the impression that Gene wished the audience had never started participating.)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 11:26:49 AM »
[quote name=\'PartingGift\' date=\'Jul 8 2003, 06:18 AM\'] To me, it seems strange to watch an episode of Match Game '74 where Gene Rayburn says, "Dumb Dora is so dumb..." and the audience does *not* say, "How dumb is she?"  When did the audience start participating?

(Perhaps I'm getting the wrong impression, but in later episodes of MG, I get the impression that Gene wished the audience had never started participating.) [/quote]
 I don't remember when it started (because I don't write down the airdates of every damned episode), but I do want to say I remember Gene guiding the audience into the \"How Dumb Is She?\" response the first couple times, in great detail (as you would expect from Gene trying to get a joke across.)

So if it seems in later years like he wishes the audience would shut up and let him get on with things, I'm fairly sure he brought it on himself. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 11:42:12 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 8 2003, 10:26 AM\'][quote name=\'PartingGift\' date=\'Jul 8 2003, 06:18 AM\'] To me, it seems strange to watch an episode of Match Game '74 where Gene Rayburn says, \"Dumb Dora is so dumb...\" and the audience does *not* say, \"How dumb is she?\"  When did the audience start participating?

(Perhaps I'm getting the wrong impression, but in later episodes of MG, I get the impression that Gene wished the audience had never started participating.) [/quote]
I don't remember when it started (because I don't write down the airdates of every damned episode), but I do want to say I remember Gene guiding the audience into the \"How Dumb Is She?\" response the first couple times, in great detail (as you would expect from Gene trying to get a joke across.)

So if it seems in later years like he wishes the audience would shut up and let him get on with things, I'm fairly sure he brought it on himself. :)[/quote]
Me, I always thought he was joking whenever he ragged on the audience. He seemed to enjoy it when the audience chimed in, all on-key, instead of scattered yelling, at least that's the impression I'm getting from MG PM...I can't really remember, but did the audience yell back on MG/HS Hour as well?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 12:05:59 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 8 2003, 08:42 AM\'] Me, I always thought he was joking whenever he ragged on the audience. He seemed to enjoy it when the audience chimed in.

[/quote]
 I'm sure he did. This is an old-time comic we're talking about, here, good audience response is right up his alley.

I can't really remember, but did the audience yell back on MG/HS Hour as well?

Never with the same aplomb as they did on MG '7x. I remember the first time a Dumb Donald question came up on MGHSH, and it was REALLY weak. So much so that Gene made 'em do it again. It got a LITTLE better, but it was never the everyone-at-once smash that it was on the old show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2003, 06:46:18 PM »
Probably Mother McKenzie got into the act of shouting along with the audience on MGHS Hour, no? It was an NBC show at the height of MM's audience sweetening.