Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's new sked starting June 14th......  (Read 10706 times)

Ian Wallis

GSN's new sked starting June 14th......
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2004, 08:54:35 AM »
In the near future, might there be an indivdualized pay-per-view system where you call your cable company, ask them to rack up "Whew!" episode #153 and go from there, since it has been discussed that there is no market for game show DVDs and alternatives to GSN?

This has been brought up before.  Even thericker on the GSN boards stated something like this might be a possibility.  But he didn't give any indication of when - I'm guessing at least a decade - maybe more.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

CaseyAbell

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2004, 09:04:33 AM »
How many episodes of Dog Eat Dog have been taped? If this isn't a future case of a show that will be quickly ran into the ground, I don't know what is.
Best I can gather from various web sites is that 26 episodes were taped, and three never made it to air on NBC. The network pulled the plug before the second  season was over. Which seems a little weird because the show was still doing halfway decent numbers for a summer offering, according to news reports at the time. The babe-o-licious second-season episode with NFL cheerleaders did particularly good numbers. Why is this not surprising?

My guess is that GSN will churn through a couple cycles of the show in the 9:00 slot, then decide if the numbers warrant grinding the show anywhere else on the schedule. Something else will have to go into the 9:00 slot unless the show proves magically resistant to rerun abuse, like Lingo. Which I doubt.

From the little I remember of the show, plus the few clips that still work on the Internet, I'm kinda looking forward to watching a few episodes. I like stupid stunt shows...Beat the Clock, Cram. The stunts seem a little more outlandish on the Dog, and the contestants (especially the female ones) wear less clothing. But I can tolerate that.

Hmm. Interesting. If this is only the most recent run [of Star Search], we could very well see some runintheground-itis. Could be a good move IF both classic and recent version are in the mix, though.
According to the GSN press release, this is only a pickup of the Arsenio version:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040505/law115_1.html

This show doesn't look like a long-term five-a-week staple, either, because so few episodes are on the shelf. If the show does acceptable numbers, GSN might pick up other talent contests, like the original McMahon version. I'm not big on talent contests with any host, so I'll pass.

Well, I've never watched F-A-D whatsoever, but my Mom has, (Who, by the way, is a gigantic dating show connoisseur.) and she really didn't like the show.
Chris Lambert pretty well nailed this one on his site. The show tried to be clean and naughty at the same time, and it didn't work. Plus, Joe Millionaire should find other work.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 10:07:52 AM by CaseyAbell »

cmjb13

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2004, 09:10:54 AM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'May 17 2004, 09:04 AM\']and three never made it to air on NBC[/quote]
Wonder if they will air the episode with Claudia Jordan?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

sshuffield70

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2004, 09:45:13 AM »
Yeah, let's see if some of the people who complained about Stacey complain about this one. ;) ;)

Jay Temple

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2004, 10:07:30 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'May 17 2004, 08:04 AM\'] The stunts seem a little more outlandish on the Dog, and the contestants (especially the female ones) wear less clothing. [/quote]
In the one ep that I remember seeing, one contestant ended up wearing NO clothing.  Her stunt was "Strip Quarterback" (or something very close to that).  A more generously-endowed female contestant had been eliminated in the previous round, and I imagine the two men wish they had made their choices in the opposite order.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 10:08:05 PM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

AH3RD

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2004, 02:40:34 PM »
Too much emphasis has been placed on The $100,000 Pyramid anyway. It has been 2 years since they last played The New $25,000 Pyramid.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 02:40:47 PM by AH3RD »
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2004, 04:16:51 PM »
[quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'May 24 2004, 11:40 AM\'] Too much emphasis has been placed on The $100,000 Pyramid anyway. It has been 2 years since they last played The New $25,000 Pyramid. [/quote]
 Yeah, well, effective this change they will be airing NO Pyramid at all. I'd rather they keep airing $100K then nothing.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Red

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2004, 03:46:14 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'May 13 2004, 06:03 PM\']Here are the changes in a nutshell:

Fake-A-Date is gone completely

The only thing good about it was the girls anyway.

Family Feud on Sat. nights is bye-bye

Eh, it airs enough anyway

$100,000 Pyramid is out

Nooooooooooooooooo, Hopefully this is temporary, but knowing GSN this may be the last time we ever see it. Besides The "New" Pyramid

Hollywood Squares reduced to weekends @ 10:30

Aww, I was just starting to watch it alot

Star Search weekdays @ 11AM and 7PM

No Comment

Match Game and Lingo from 6-7 PM except on Saturdays

OK

Dog Eat Dog weekdays @ 9pm

Yes! Yes! Yes! *Two Months Later* This episode again?! Nuff said

Mole reduced to Sundays @ 11PM

Eh, I like it. At least it's not cutting off it's run that it started

Street Smarts weekdays @ 11PM, 9PM Saturdays

Not like DED where episodes could run out, thank you GSN

Everything else pretty much remains the same (including BB, Match Game, and PYL on weekends)

Fine with me
Tyshaun[/quote]
My thoughts are bolded in the quote.
-Paul Ford

RedGiant@toonzone.net

roadgeek

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2004, 01:05:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'May 17 2004, 07:54 AM\']
In the near future, might there be an indivdualized pay-per-view system where you call your cable company, ask them to rack up "Whew!" episode #153 and go from there, since it has been discussed that there is no market for game show DVDs and alternatives to GSN?
This has been brought up before.  Even thericker on the GSN boards stated something like this might be a possibility.  But he didn't give any indication of when - I'm guessing at least a decade - maybe more.[/quote]
Interesting idea.  I went over to the GSN Boards to see what was already discussed; the only relevant thread I could find was this poll.  Does anyone remember what other people have said about the idea of pay-per-view game shows?  I have an idea how this could come about, although it's a long shot.

1978-Jeopardy

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2004, 06:52:12 AM »
It bothers me that they're removing the pyramid from the schedule. All they need to do is take off Blockbusters, LMaD, & PYL and they'll be little worth watching.

Oh well, maybe we'll get to see another older pyramid soon.

$20,000 pyramid would be wonderful to see again. Do ya guys think that will ever happen?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2004, 08:51:50 AM »
$20,000 pyramid would be wonderful to see again. Do ya guys think that will ever happen?

Unfortunatly, I wouldn't count on it.  It was great to see it during what some people refer to as "The Dark Period", and it was disappointing that they still have almost a years' worth of episodes (fall 1979-June 1980) that haven't been seen since their original run.  However, given the current direction of GSN, older shows like that don't have much of a chance of appearing on the schedule again.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!