Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Super Millionaire phone game malfunction  (Read 10816 times)

zachhoran

Super Millionaire phone game malfunction
« on: May 10, 2004, 07:17:54 PM »
The phone lines for May qualifying for SM just opened a few minutes ago, and I got this possible caveat regarding those who qualified for a February tape date: a message saying "I'm Sorry, you have already qualified for a tape date for this series of SM shows, please do not play agaon" or words to that effect. Hopefullyt this will be fixed ASAP, unless of course(though not likely) they are defining February's and May's shows as the same series of shows.

Correction: It was fixed later in the night, and I became even more of an outlier :), going 5 for 5 on the questions:
1. Put movie titles in order of body part in title from toe to head(On your Toes, Places in the Heart, Deep Throat, Eye of the Needle)
2. Put the following inventions in order of when invented-earliest to latest(SAndwich Board, Radio, TV, INternet)
3. Put US locales in order east to west(Coney Island, Myrtle Beach, Malibu Beach, Waikiki Beach)
4. Put one-named singers in order of birth-most recent to earliest(Aaliyah, Jewel, Moby, Cher)
5. Put feminists in order of birth-earliest to most recent(Susan B. Anthony, Margaret Sanger, Simone De Beauvoir, Betty Friedan)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 09:01:15 AM by zachhoran »

Vgmastr

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 07:35:08 PM »
It worked for me, but I bombed out on Q3:

Put these cable channels in order of their launch, starting with the earliest:
1. E!
2. HBO
3. Food Network
4. Weather Channel

I wasn't sure if HBO or the Weather Channel came first, I guessed HBO, I was wrong.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 07:41:09 PM »
Damn, even Zach beats us mere mortals to the punch on non-spoilers!

I got the same error as Zach.  I even tried calling in twice, just to make sure my ears weren't playing tricks.

It worked for me, but I bombed out on Q3:

Put these cable channels in order of their launch, starting with the earliest:
1. E!
2. HBO
3. Food Network
4. Weather Channel

I wasn't sure if HBO or the Weather Channel came first, I guessed HBO, I was wrong.

HBO was first, in 1972.  The Weather Channel wasn't until the early 1980s, I do believe, followed by E! and The Food Network.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 07:44:47 PM by hmtriplecrown »

Little Big Brother

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 07:42:52 PM »
I got the same message as Zach, sadly.  I sent an e-mail to what I think is ABC's customer service department, though ABC's contact page did not really offer any helpful contact information.

Of course, perhaps Zach and I (and hmtriplecrown who snuck in while I wrote this ;-)   )just happen to have doppelgangers with the exact same birthday and last 4 SSN digits, who happened to have called and qualified for Super Millionaire within the first half hour of the phone game.  Any of the math people on here want to tackle those odds for kicks?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 07:43:56 PM by Little Big Brother »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 07:46:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'May 10 2004, 07:42 PM\'] Of course, perhaps Zach and I (and hmtriplecrown who snuck in while I wrote this ;-)   )just happen to have doppelgangers with the exact same birthday and last 4 SSN digits, who happened to have called and qualified for Super Millionaire within the first half hour of the phone game.  Any of the math people on here want to tackle those odds for kicks? [/quote]
 Listen here...  I have plans to share absolutely NOTHING with Zach. :-P

The name's Mike, BTW, and no, I'm not touching the math on that. ;-)

Vgmastr

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 07:48:31 PM »
A quick Google search shows HBO as debuting in 1972, Weather in 1982, and Food in 1993, and I know E! came before Food, so 2413 should be right.

Dang, 2413 is what I entered, at least I thought I entered it.  Or maybe I misheard and the question was starting with the latest.  Either way, the game said I got it wrong.  Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Turtleboy

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 08:03:11 PM »
I got the message too.

Are you sure they didn't decide that people who qualified last time can't qualify this time?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 09:23:14 PM »
The aforementioned problem is fixed.  I got through within the past 10 minutes.  I got to question 4, where inventors' birthdates sent me packing.

First Q:  Put "Big Bad Voodoo Daddy" in order.
2nd Q:  A math question about putting values in order (8x0, 10 squared, square root of 64, 100/5)
3rd Q:  Putting children's lit characters in order of debut (Harry Potter, Eeyore, The Grinch, The Mad Hatter)
4th Q:  The inventors--Nicola Tesla, Alexander Graham Bell, Henry Bessemer, Robert Goddard.  Right answer:  Bessemer, Bell, Tesla, Goddard.  I had Bell, Tesla, Bessemer, Goddard.

jlmarr

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 09:28:49 PM »
Struck out on #2: ad slogans starting with the earliest:

1) Yahoo
2) Lucky Strikes
3) Fedex
4) "Time to make the donuts"

Never heard of #4, possibly because Dunkin Donuts chain wasn't big in California (researched it after the fact, but never nailed down the time frame).  I put #2 first, #1 last, can't remember if I had #3 Fedex second or third.

ChuckNet

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 09:48:25 PM »
I bombed on the *1st* question...

Put these films in order by the location mentioned in the title, starting in the west and going east:

1. North Dallas 40
2. The Cincinatti Kids
3. LA Confidential
4. The Palm Beach Story

What did me in? I confused Palm Beach w/Palm *Springs* and keyed in 3-4-1-2, thus ending my qualifying attempt for the night. Oh well, maybe tomm...

Chuck Donegan (The Disappointed "Chuckie Baby")

Little Big Brother

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 10:11:33 PM »
Question One:  Put these coins in order of value, starting with the highest:

1.  Half dollar
2.  Silver Dollar
3.  Dime
4.  Cent

2-1-3-4

Question Two:  Put these measurements in order, starting with the shortest:

1.  Distance from Earth to the Moon
2.  Diameter of the Earth
3.  Distance from the Earth to Mars
4.  Diameter of the Moon

4-2-1-3

Question 3:  Put these artists in order of when they had their first top 40 hit, starting with the earliest:

1.  Elton John
2.  Jason Mraz
3.  Mary J. Blige
4.  Madonna

Sadly, my inability to listen to Clear Channel Crap zapped me tonight, as I had no idea who Jason Mraz is.  My guess:  1-4-2-3.  Correct answer: 1-4-3-2

Lesson Learned:  If you don't know who is being talked about, slap them on the end.

At least the glitch is fixed :-)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 10:15:07 PM by Little Big Brother »

dscungio

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 11:01:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'May 10 2004, 09:11 PM\']Lesson Learned:  If you don't know who is being talked about, slap them on the end.

[/quote]
Talk about it.  I just bombed out on the third question after being asked to put the name of the architect Mies van der Rohe in order....someone I've never heard of!

Dean

ShoeHorn

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 12:39:15 AM »
Attempt #1 (Got to #3)

Put these in order to form the name of a group that monitors the weather:

1) Organization
2) World
3) The
4) Meteorlogical  

3-2-4-1

Put these musical rests in order starting with the shortest:

1) Eighth rest      
2) Sixteenth rest
3) Half rest
4) Whole rest

It's fraction, kids. 2-1-3-4

And now, the crapper.

Put these baseball movies in order of first theatrical release, starting with the earliest:

1) The Natural                   (1984)
2) A League of Their Own   (1992)
3) Bang The Drum Slowly   (1973)
4) Damn Yankees              (1958)

I mixed the natural and Bang the Drum. Correct: 4-3-1-2

Good luck.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 05:10:44 AM »
You'd think they'd "wipe the slate clean" as far as the qualification pool was concerned, but NOPE!  Thank heavens I didn't try out in February or I would've ran across that glitch too early on.

Anyways, today's Round 2 for the second go-around, Invisioners.  Good luck!

davemackey

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2004, 06:14:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Vgmastr\' date=\'May 10 2004, 07:48 PM\']
A quick Google search shows HBO as debuting in 1972, Weather in 1982, and Food in 1993, and I know E! came before Food, so 2413 should be right.

Dang, 2413 is what I entered, at least I thought I entered it.  Or maybe I misheard and the question was starting with the latest.  Either way, the game said I got it wrong.  Oh well, there's always tomorrow. [/quote]
 E! actually was first known as Movietime. Though I don't think that will affect the placement of the networks in the question.