Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ray Combs  (Read 17997 times)

adamjk

Ray Combs
« on: May 09, 2004, 10:10:45 PM »
I was talking with a bowling partner of mine about game shows this evening, and Ray Combs came up in the conversation. He then proceeded to tell me that Ray Combs had bipolar disorder. What that means, is that he could psychologically change moods at any time. I wonder if this had anything to do with his suicide. I mean I know, he had closed his comedy clubs, and had lost the Feud job and the Family Challenge job later on, not to mention his crumbling marriage. But I wonder if his bipolar disorder played a small role in this also. Also, I wonder if this may have caused his infamous walk off the stage at the end of his final Feud. Your thoughts?

aaron sica

Ray Combs
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 10:20:15 PM »
My thoughts are that you are absolutely OBSESSED with Family Feud to the point where I think it scares everyone.

adamjk

Ray Combs
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 10:30:31 PM »
I just thought people might find this info interesting. I never knew about that. No need to attack me like that.

aaron sica

Ray Combs
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 10:37:31 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 9 2004, 10:30 PM\'] I just thought people might find this info interesting. I never knew about that. No need to attack me like that. [/quote]
 I'm not attacking you, and I'm sorry if I came across that way.

It's just that you ask so many questions about FF that most people don't pay attention to (strike graphics, original airdates, lighting, etc.), and that seems to be about 95% of your posts are questions about the Feud.

Nothing wrong with liking it (or any game show, that's why we're here!!) - it's just that you go real, REAL deep into it.

adamjk

Ray Combs
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 10:42:57 PM »
Well, I just happen to have had a lot of questions about the Feud of late, and although I do have a few more, once I've asked those, I'll likely be done with it for a while.

FeudDude

Ray Combs
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 10:44:00 PM »
My theory on Ray's suicide was that up until he got mercilessly fired from Feud and his marriage fell apart, he had a very happy life, and so therefore Ray probably just didn't know how to handle all this.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's any good reason for someone to kill him/herself, but I can certainly imagine how painful all of this must have been for him.

aaron sica

Ray Combs
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 10:49:07 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 9 2004, 10:42 PM\'] Well, I just happen to have had a lot of questions about the Feud of late, and although I do have a few more, once I've asked those, I'll likely be done with it for a while. [/quote]
 Not to mention I should actually answer your question too, so I will. :)

I agree with FeudDude - I'm not so sure the bipolar had to do with it as much as everything that crashed in his world at once - no more Feud, or Family Challenge, or marriage. I think it was all too much for him.

tvwxman

Ray Combs
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 11:13:16 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 9 2004, 09:10 PM\'] I was talking with a bowling partner of mine about game shows this evening, and Ray Combs came up in the conversation. He then proceeded to tell me that Ray Combs had bipolar disorder. What that means, is that he could psychologically change moods at any time. I wonder if this had anything to do with his suicide. I mean I know, he had closed his comedy clubs, and had lost the Feud job and the Family Challenge job later on, not to mention his crumbling marriage. But I wonder if his bipolar disorder played a small role in this also. Also, I wonder if this may have caused his infamous walk off the stage at the end of his final Feud. Your thoughts? [/quote]
My thoughts?

You've got a lot of moxy for putting in the topic title "Interesting Ray Combs news", when you

A. Don't have actual news.
B. Are relying said 'news' on a bowling buddy.

This is NOT news. This is two guys having a speculative conversation. In my business , if I aired this story as "news", i'd get my tail sued fast.

You want to theorize on what caused Ray Combs death? No problem. you're in the right forum. Just don't call it news. You and your friend offer no proof that Bipolar Disorder was the cause of death as opposed to anything else.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 11:15:39 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tvrandywest

Ray Combs
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 11:45:23 PM »
In all the talk of Ray from those who worked with him and the family members who have made public comment I can't recall a single person citing the diagnosis posted here. If it is factual I'd like to know.

Hasn't this all been rehashed adequately in the E! special, as well as in other threads over the years? Ray had a series of difficult blows in his personal and professional life. As I recall it. the problems began after his addiction to the pain killers that were prescribed following his severe auto accident. It was very sad working with him on his last "Family Challenge". By further coincidence we were neighbors at an apartment complex as Ray's final days played out. It was all a very disturbing chapter of history.

In my mind there's always been a fragile balance when it comes to a public figure's personal life being the object of examination, rumor and conjecture. While I guess it's human nature to be somewhat fascinated by these kinds of things, I think the dialogue can easy drift into a sea of disrespect.

RIP

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Skynet74

Ray Combs
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 12:01:05 AM »
If I'm not mistaken.... Ray wasn't fired from Family Challenge. The show only replaced him because he passed away.

John

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Ray Combs
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 12:57:18 AM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'May 9 2004, 09:44 PM\'] My theory on Ray's suicide was that up until he got mercilessly fired from Feud and his marriage fell apart, he had a very happy life, [/quote]
 I hate to get into this, but if you have the chance, read the story on Ray in TV Guide right around the time his version of "Feud" was debuting. He was not a terribly happy man even then.
@lambertman

LA the DJ

Ray Combs
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 04:47:34 AM »
They say tortured souls make the best comedians, and I suppose it rang true in this case.

I've never heard of what happened at the end of his final Feud. What happened?
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

whewfan

Ray Combs
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2004, 05:24:15 AM »
Quite simply, Ray walked off the set after saying goodbye. He gave no indication that it was his very last show. Usually he stuck around during the credits, but this time he didn't. Reportedly, Ray also left the studio.

Ray, however, gave some hint of how he felt when the second contestant got all zeros during fast money. Ray commented "I must say this is a fine way to go out"

adamjk

Ray Combs
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2004, 05:05:02 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'May 9 2004, 11:57 PM\'] [quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'May 9 2004, 09:44 PM\'] My theory on Ray's suicide was that up until he got mercilessly fired from Feud and his marriage fell apart, he had a very happy life, [/quote]
I hate to get into this, but if you have the chance, read the story on Ray in TV Guide right around the time his version of "Feud" was debuting. He was not a terribly happy man even then. [/quote]
 Actually it's quite interesting that you bring that up, because former WWF and WCW broadcaster as well as former WWF manager, Bobby Heenan in his book mentioned Ray. He was good friend of Bobby's. Bobby stated in the book, that Ray felt demeaned doing a game show.

BTW, out of curiousity what did Ray say in the interview with Tv Guide that gave you the impression that he wasn't too happy then?

combsisthebest

Ray Combs
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2004, 06:32:40 PM »
This is just a partial quote from an email I received from Toni Combs (Ray's sister).
"That's not true he was never diagnosed with bipoler. who knows if he was or not we will never know. that has nothing to do with his death. we will never know ourselves until we see him again on the other iside."