Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hypothetical situation on TPIR $1M Spectacular  (Read 2986 times)

wvoutlaw2002

Hypothetical situation on TPIR $1M Spectacular
« on: May 05, 2004, 02:40:19 AM »
Okay. Everybody knows that on the $1M Spectacular shows that if nobody gets $1.00 in either Showcase Showdown, Bob promises that somebody WILL spin for the million, and that the Showcase winner would get to spin. Now, here are some hypothetical situations with some possible solutions :

1. What happens if there is a double overbid?

A. Since nobody won, nobody gets to spin for the million dollars.
    B. The top winner going in to the Showcase gets the spin by default.
    C. The player the least over (clsoer to their A.R.P.) spins for the million.
    D. A one-spin spinoff, and the winner of the spinoff spins for the million.

2. What happens in case of a tie?

A. The top winner going in to the Showcase gets the spin by default.
    B. A one-spin spinoff, and the winner of the spinoff spins for the million.
    C. Both players get to spin for a million.

Does anybody know what the exact rules are?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 02:45:09 AM »
[quote name=\'wvoutlaw2002\' date=\'May 4 2004, 11:40 PM\'] 1. What happens if there is a double overbid? [/quote]
 As we've answered here a dozen times (but the Search function sucks, so I understand), a randomly chosen audience member would spin.)
2. What happens in case of a tie?
I would guess (A), that the top dollar winner going in would get the spin.
But I don't know for sure. We have a couple folks here who might be able to offer a more definitive answer, if in fact that nearly-impossible-to-acheive situation were to come up.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 11:07:02 AM »
I would LOVE to know that someone officially associated with Price has actually, in advance, come up with the rule covering what happens in case both contestants tie without going over on their Showcases.

In thirty-two years, has this EVER happened on the daytime show?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 11:09:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'May 5 2004, 10:07 AM\'] I would LOVE to know that someone officially associated with Price has actually, in advance, come up with the rule covering what happens in case both contestants tie without going over on their Showcases.

In thirty-two years, has this EVER happened on the daytime show? [/quote]
 It supposedly did happen once, but on the Dennis James nighttime run in the 70s. Bob mentioned several years back what happens when there is a tie in the Showcase. Both players win their showcases, and both players win both showcases if both are tied and less than $251 away without going over. Bob joked if the latter happened, the show would be over budget and they'd all go their separate ways, or something to that effect.

FPGWillyT

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 03:26:49 PM »
This very scenario has actually been covered in the TPiR Q&A or Mailbag Section.

If both contestants are tied without going over then they both win their individual showcases.  If both contestants are tied AND $250 or less away, then they both win both showcases!!!

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 04:12:05 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 5 2004, 01:07 PM\'] correction: $250 or less [/quote]
 Now, I want you to think REALLY HARD about this one. Fire up that brain cell. I know you can do it:

"Less than $251."

"$250 or less"

WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?!?!

(At least it's good to know my opening killfile list is shaping up nicely. The candidates are making themselves SO DAMN OBVIOUS.)

adamjk

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 05:05:36 PM »
Ah I misread. I thought he said $251 or less. My mistake.

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 05:11:00 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 5 2004, 02:05 PM\'] Ah I misread. I thought he said $251 or less. My mistake. [/quote]
 While, believe me, I appreciate the attempt to catch Zach in a screwup, you should double-check a post before correcting, lest ye look real stupid.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 06:43:58 PM »
[quote name=\'wvoutlaw2002\' date=\'May 4 2004, 11:40 PM\'] 2. What happens in case of a tie?

A. The top winner going in to the Showcase gets the spin by default.
    B. A one-spin spinoff, and the winner of the spinoff spins for the million.
    C. Both players get to spin for a million. [/quote]
 I think the most logical choice would be C. Both players spin for the million.

This is because TPiRMDS doesn't promise that "One person will spin for the million", it promises "AT LEAST one person, maybe more, will spin for the million."

At least this is how Bob used to bill it in the daytime shows days prior to the MDS.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 08:45:32 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'May 5 2004, 06:43 PM\'] I think the most logical choice would be C. Both players spin for the million.

This is because TPiRMDS doesn't promise that "One person will spin for the million", it promises "AT LEAST one person, maybe more, will spin for the million."

At least this is how Bob used to bill it in the daytime shows days prior to the MDS. [/quote]
 Not that I know the answer to this any more than you do (and in fact, I agree that C would be the most logical answer, if not the most budget-friendly one), but I would imagine the only reason Barker plugs it that way is to indicate that there will be a million dollar spin even in no one gets a dollar in a Showcase Showdown.  I think you're reading too much into it.

starcade

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 08:55:54 PM »
I agree with Steve, and, in fact, it would probably have to be C.

Both players won their Showcase, and, in the event of no previous million-spinner on that show, the spin for the million comes with the Showcase.

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2004, 03:02:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'May 5 2004, 10:07 AM\'] I would LOVE to know that someone officially associated with Price has actually, in advance, come up with the rule covering what happens in case both contestants tie without going over on their Showcases.

In thirty-two years, has this EVER happened on the daytime show? [/quote]

I would LOVE to know that someone officially associated with Price has actually, in advance, come up with the rule covering what happens in case both contestants tie without going over on their Showcases.

Didn't Bob mention on a show what would happen in case of a tie in the Showcase? I think he said "if both players tie and are not in the double showcase range, they each win their respective showcases, but if both players tie and are within the double showcase range, both players wins both showcases. That would be four showcases, and we would have to file for bankruptcy and go our separate ways".

Kevin Prather

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2004, 02:48:09 PM »
outlaw, read the 4th and 5th post from the top.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2004, 04:16:33 PM »
What happens in case of a tie?

The top dollar winner going in might not be the top dollar winner coming out. In case of a tie the bigger grand total winner should spin.

The bigger question for Barker is, how do you finish the show with the Big Wheel without it being a complete and total ANTI-CLIMAX? The Showcase has always been the climax of the show, and if you spin the wheel after the Showcase it's going to be total buzz kill in the likely event that the contestant spins a whopping 95 cents or less. "You've won $50,000 in prizes but you just blew your shot at a million ... loser" says Bob while holding a finger-L to his forehead.

Solution: during the second SS, bring out the winner of the first SS and have them both spin for a million.

But hey, what do I know about game shows?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 04:18:46 PM by chris319 »

cmjb13

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2004, 06:53:16 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 8 2004, 04:16 PM\']
What happens in case of a tie?

The top dollar winner going in might not be the top dollar winner coming out. In case of a tie the bigger grand total winner should spin.

The bigger question for Barker is, how do you finish the show with the Big Wheel without it being a complete and total ANTI-CLIMAX? The Showcase has always been the climax of the show, and if you spin the wheel after the Showcase it's going to be total buzz kill in the likely event that the contestant spins a whopping 95 cents or less. "You've won $50,000 in prizes but you just blew your shot at a million ... loser" says Bob while holding a finger-L to his forehead.

Solution: during the second SS, bring out the winner of the first SS and have them both spin for a million.

But hey, what do I know about game shows? [/quote]
 There is a reason why the spin comes after the showcase.

Who's gonna give a rats ass about winning a $100k showcase if they just won a million?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS