Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arrrrrrrsssseeeeniiiiooo Haaaaalllll,  (Read 10587 times)

PeterMarshallFan

Arrrrrrrsssseeeeniiiiooo Haaaaalllll,
« on: May 03, 2004, 06:18:28 PM »
from Da Perf:

Star Search repeats are the latest additions to the revamped GSN summer lineup released Monday.
     Reruns of the CBS talent contest will air daily at 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. (EDT) beginning June 14 when the new schedule takes effect.
     In daytime and early evening Monday through Friday, Hollywood Squares and The $100,000 Pyramid drop off the schedule. Lingo moves to 6:30 p.m. as the lead-out to Match Game, which leaves the prime time schedule.
     The nighttime schedule:
7:00  Star Search
8:00  WWTBAM
9:00  Dog Eat Dog
10:00  Various
11:00  Street Smarts
11:30  Various
     The 10:00 lineup consists of: Mondays, World Series of Blackjack Mondays (to be replaced after the second run by Celebrity WWTBAM; Tuesdays, Extreme Dodgeball and Kenny vs. Spenny; Wednesdays, Average Joe; Thursdays, Kenny vs. Spenny and Extreme Dodgeball; and Fridays, Vegas Weddings and Spy TV.
     At 11:30, GSN airs Who Dares Wins Mondays and Tuesdays, Vegas Weddings Wednesdays, Street Smarts Thursdays and Kenny vs. Spenny Fridays.
     The 9-12 midnight weekend block framed by Games Across America includes: Street Smarts, Extreme Dodgeball, Spy TV, Vegas Weddings and Who Dares Wins.

EDITED TO ADD: Daily run? If it's only the Arsenio eps that's kind of a low number to draw on. Could it be that GSN aquired some classic episodes too? [I can't remember for the life of me if the original was on CBS or syndicated]
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 06:21:15 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

joey7879

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 06:35:27 PM »
One word. Ew.

Now if it were just the old Ed episodes, then maybe I wouldn't mind.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 06:36:41 PM by joey7879 »

dzinkin

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 06:37:31 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'May 3 2004, 06:18 PM\'] EDITED TO ADD: Daily run? If it's only the Arsenio eps that's kind of a low number to draw on. Could it be that GSN aquired some classic episodes too? [I can't remember for the life of me if the original was on CBS or syndicated] [/quote]
 The original Star Search was syndicated.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 06:53:37 PM »
Yeah. Although it's not THAT bad, well, the original was better.

But if "American Idol" winds up on GSN, then.....I better not tell ya. [although I wouldn't be TOO surprised if it happens]

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 06:54:56 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'May 3 2004, 05:18 PM\']
     In daytime and early evening Monday through Friday, Hollywood Squares and The $100,000 Pyramid drop off the schedule. Lingo moves to 6:30 p.m. as the lead-out to Match Game, which leaves the prime time [/quote]
 If this is true, then a show with four years in the same time slot(MG7x at 6:30PM EST) gets booted, the longest streak for a show in the same time slot in GSN history.

tvwxman

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 06:56:31 PM »
Opinion here:

I'm starting to believe that the new GSN is trying to draw viewers with so-called celebrity names. Seriously. The last few shows they've really promoted in PR has mentioned Arsenio, Joe Millionaire, the Average Joe chick on WSoBlackjack, and Darva Conger....

Do you see the trend here? Said the GSN Exec : "Hey, we know viewers are eating this reality crap up, so let's hire the reality contestants to be show hosts, and the viewers will eat our crap up too!"

The problem : it IS crap. D-list celebs don't fill couch seats....even Arsenio thought his name would be a draw to "Arsenio" the sitcom he did after the talk show with Vivica A Fox....and "Martial Law", the cop show with the sumo wrestler. It didn't, and they didn't last.

Free advice to GSN : Give me a reason to give you a half hour of my important TV watching time, and I'm there. So far in your new format, you haven't even come close.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tyshaun1

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 07:02:13 PM »
Looks like the first prime-time casualties are "The Mole" and "Fake-A-Date". Unsurprising for FAD, since the show is, for the most part, unoriginal (what are there, like 10 other dating shows out there, and the genre is definitely running out of gas), but for a recent show like "The Mole" that had 4 seasons on a major (albeit struggling) network is a bit surprising.
That said, if they got rights to the classic Star Search, good move on GSN's part, considering how many stars came from that show. If it's Arsenio's OTOH, not so much.

Tyshaun

GS Warehouse

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 07:14:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'May 3 2004, 06:53 PM\'] Yeah. Although it's not THAT bad, well, the original was better. [/quote]
 Since the original was better, you know GSN will give us Arsenio for that reason.  
If on the outside chance GSN did snatch up Ed McMahon, they should mention all the present-day stars that came from that series, and there have been a few.  That's how CBS promoted Search when it debuted.  The decision to show Arsenio's version on a daily basis would be easier if CBS renews it for next season, but that's not likely to happen, and IMO, the closest we will see to Ed McMahon's version is that episode of Full House when Joey goes on SS.

But if "American Idol" winds up on GSN, then.....I better not tell ya. [although I wouldn't be TOO surprised if it happens]
I would be really surprised if that happens.  If GSN won't find a regular place for The Gong Show on their schedule because of music clearances, what makes you think they'll make a bid for Idol?

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 07:27:26 PM »
Interesting take on the schedule....

I hate the fact that they're getting rid of Bergeron Squares on Weekdays-I was hoping they would get to the 2002-2003 season next. At this rate, we probably won't get to them til next year, now...(that's even if GSN has the rights anyway).

I'm puzzled on the Star Search thing. I think there's only 35-50 eps, meaning we'd run out pretty darn quickly. Maybe the 80's version is the 11 am run and the current one is at night? Maybe?

Not surprised to see Mole gone. As much as the Mole was a great show, I think Reality shows don't rerun well- can you imagine watching the forthcoming reruns of Average Joe and think- "Oh! she picks the hot guy who turns out to be poor, and Adam is rich and gets his own show."

Happy to see the # of 100K pyramid down to one-a-day- just to see the uberfans twist in the wind. See what you get when you complain too much?

And don't shoot me for this, but I'm excited about Dodgeball, happy to see Kenny Vs. Spenny on it still, and estatic to see Street Smarts!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 07:30:32 PM by urbanpreppie05 »
insert signature here

JMFabiano

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 07:33:55 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'May 3 2004, 06:14 PM\'] [quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'May 3 2004, 06:53 PM\'] Yeah. Although it's not THAT bad, well, the original was better. [/quote]
Since the original was better, you know GSN will give us Arsenio for that reason.  
If on the outside chance GSN did snatch up Ed McMahon, they should mention all the present-day stars that came from that series, and there have been a few.  That's how CBS promoted Search when it debuted.  The decision to show Arsenio's version on a daily basis would be easier if CBS renews it for next season, but that's not likely to happen, and IMO, the closest we will see to Ed McMahon's version is that episode of Full House when Joey goes on SS.

I would be really surprised if that happens.  If GSN won't find a regular place for The Gong Show on their schedule because of music clearances, what makes you think they'll make a bid for Idol? [/quote]
 And if the latter happens, yet TPIR is not close to returning....

Silly, silly Dismantle....sad, but I wouldn't be surprised given the "brains" there too...
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

catnap1972

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 07:48:16 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'May 3 2004, 06:27 PM\'] Happy to see the # of 100K pyramid down to one-a-day- just to see the uberfans twist in the wind. See what you get when you complain too much?
 [/quote]
 If I'm not mistaken, Pyramid is effectively GONE from the schedule (SS is an hour, isn't it?).

My guess is that both PYL and LMAD will eventually get the heave-ho as well...it seems like GSN wants to detach itself from the stigma of that "old" network as soon as possible.

tyshaun1

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2004, 07:55:09 PM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' date=\'May 3 2004, 06:48 PM\'] [quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'May 3 2004, 06:27 PM\'] Happy to see the # of 100K pyramid down to one-a-day- just to see the uberfans twist in the wind. See what you get when you complain too much?
 [/quote]
If I'm not mistaken, Pyramid is effectively GONE from the schedule (SS is an hour, isn't it?).

My guess is that both PYL and LMAD will eventually get the heave-ho as well...it seems like GSN wants to detach itself from the stigma of that "old" network as soon as possible. [/quote]
We PYL fans (Jason H., Ian, and myself) believe that since their current package will be run through by around September (around the time their current contract expires, more than likely), that PYL will go altogether. Same for LMAD, since I recall reading that GSN signed a two year extension in August 2002.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 07:55:52 PM by tyshaun1 »

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2004, 09:02:22 PM »

No-I think it's still on at 6:00.

My guess is that both PYL and LMAD will eventually get the heave-ho as well...it seems like GSN wants to detach itself from the stigma of that "old" network as soon as possible.

I don't think so. If they were, what's to stop them from doing that now?
insert signature here

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2004, 09:08:03 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'May 3 2004, 08:02 PM\']

No-I think it's still on at 6:00.

[ [/quote]
 No, it's not.   Lingo (at 6:30) is the *Lead-Out* (IE: Show After) Match Game (most likely PM).

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2004, 09:15:02 PM »
Hands up, anyone who thinks Star Search in any way encompasses the concept of a "game".

<crickets chirp>

Right. Onward.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe