Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bill Cullen was the first host of 10K pyramid?  (Read 2329 times)

aaron sica

Bill Cullen was the first host of 10K pyramid?
« on: May 02, 2004, 08:20:32 PM »
So I'm perusing TV books in Borders, and I come across one I've never seen before: "The Encyclopedia of 20th Century American Television", by Ron Lachmann.

It has plenty of into on many genres of TV, including game shows, but some things in this book are WAY off base....

* As I said in the subject line, it says that Bill Cullen was the first host of the Pyramid incarnations, but John Davidson and Dick Clark hosted all of them after that.

* MG90 ran from July 1990 to March 1992 (the 3/92 end date I've also noticed in Total Television as well)

* TPiR had a primetime edition in 1985 which Barker hosted for one month; Tom Kennedy hosted the daytime version while Barker was doing the nighttime show. When the nighttime show ended, Barker returned to the daytime version and has been doing it ever since.

I'm sure there's more, but I got frustrated and closed the book.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 08:20:56 PM by aaron sica »

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 08:25:08 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'May 2 2004, 07:20 PM\'] So I'm perusing TV books in Borders, and I come across one I've never seen before: "The Encyclopedia of 20th Century American Television", by Ron Lachmann.

It has plenty of into on many genres of TV, including game shows, but some things in this book are WAY off base....

* As I said in the subject line, it says that Bill Cullen was the first host of the Pyramid incarnations, but John Davidson and Dick Clark hosted all of them after that.

* MG90 ran from July 1990 to March 1992 (the 3/92 end date I've also noticed in Total Television as well)

* TPiR had a primetime edition in 1985 which Barker hosted for one month; Tom Kennedy hosted the daytime version while Barker was doing the nighttime show. When the nighttime show ended, Barker returned to the daytime version and has been doing it ever since.

I'm sure there's more, but I got frustrated and closed the book. [/quote]
Nice hard core research job.....NOT!!! If there are "fascinating, little known facts" in the book where one might say, "Wow! I didn't know that", considering the validity of the foregoing information, the reason no one might have "known that" is because the information is false. Shame, shame, shame.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 08:33:07 PM by Don Howard »

calliaume

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 09:20:43 PM »
Sounds like a lousy copyedit.  It happens.

I once proofread most of a video guide, which I was warned had some writing problems and had gotten a lousy copyedit.  We did what we could while proofreading, but the book was so long and so behind schedule we were limited in what we could do.

Another book I took on because I'd noticed a number of glaring errors in manuscript.  I flagged all the errors, citing the sources for the corrections -- and the author said no to all of them.

Don Howard

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 09:23:53 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'May 2 2004, 08:20 PM\'] Another book I took on because I'd noticed a number of glaring errors in manuscript.  I flagged all the errors, citing the sources for the corrections -- and the author said no to all of them. [/quote]
Then the author is a dolt and has no business writing books---unless they're for the fiction section of your library or local bookstore.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 09:24:14 PM by Don Howard »

JMFabiano

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 10:14:16 PM »
Anyone ever see Hal Erickson's Syndicated Television?  According to this book, Card Sharks did not adopt the survey questions until Bill Rafferty's version, which BTW was syndicated by Firestone Television.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

aaron sica

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 10:30:39 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'May 2 2004, 10:14 PM\'] Anyone ever see Hal Erickson's Syndicated Television?  According to this book, Card Sharks did not adopt the survey questions until Bill Rafferty's version, which BTW was syndicated by Firestone Television. [/quote]
 I believe "Total Television" suffers from just about the same flaw. It notes that in 1986, the show returned with a twist - contestants had to answer a survey question before they could (and I love the choice of wording here....makes me think of a contestant rushing the game board) "tackle the cards".

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 05:18:37 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'May 2 2004, 09:14 PM\'] Anyone ever see Hal Erickson's Syndicated Television?  According to this book, Card Sharks did not adopt the survey questions until Bill Rafferty's version, which BTW was syndicated by Firestone Television. [/quote]
 I remember seeing one game show book (title and author escape me) that said CS86 was syndicated by Lorimar-Telepictures. Eh.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 06:45:23 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'May 2 2004, 09:30 PM\'] [quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'May 2 2004, 10:14 PM\'] Anyone ever see Hal Erickson's Syndicated Television?  According to this book, Card Sharks did not adopt the survey questions until Bill Rafferty's version, which BTW was syndicated by Firestone Television. [/quote]
I believe "Total Television" suffers from just about the same flaw. It notes that in 1986, the show returned with a twist - contestants had to answer a survey question before they could (and I love the choice of wording here....makes me think of a contestant rushing the game board) "tackle the cards". [/quote]
 They also said a 1982 syndicated version of CS with Perry was syndied by Firestone. Reruns of CS of course were airing on a lot of stations at the time. They also talked about a 1985 MG syndicated revival that never happened, confusing it with reruns of the 1979-82 Syndie run that were on in some cities at the time.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 07:52:07 PM »
Firestone distributed the reruns of "Card Sharks" and they also offered "Blockbusters" reruns.  Both eventually made their way to CBN, which makes me believe CBN negotiated with Firestone, rather than G-T for those shows.  There was a proposed Firestone CS strip at NATPE with Jim Perry in either 79 or 80 with double truck ads in the mag Broadcasting.  Obviously it did not get off the ground, but it was offered.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.