Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can You Tell  (Read 6622 times)

Fedya

Can You Tell
« on: July 06, 2003, 09:02:50 PM »
I was flipping through the channels on Sunday (3pmET) and came across the show \"Can You Tell\" on the Oxygen Channel.  I didn't see the whole thing, so I don't even know who the host is, but the DirecTV on screen guide implied it was a new show, the date given as this past June (which would imply it's been on for about three weeks now).  If anybody else has seen the show, feel free to provide more info or their own review.

Premise: Almost a rip-off of the \"final\" round on TTTT90, in which one civilian was brought out with two possible premises, one of which was true and the other false.  On \"Can You Tell\", there were two civilians and two premises (related from a language sense), with each premise matching one of the civilians.  On the episode I saw, there were: a \"mother of five\" and a \"Mother Superior\", and a segment with a \"personal trainer\" and an \"animal trainer\".  The panel (apparently celebs since they weren't wearing nametags) asked questions of the civilians and at the end had to guess which civilian fit which premise.  Everybody seemed to get a flat $500 regardless of how many celebs guessed wrong.

Review: I'd have to watch a complete episode or two give it a full review, but the format seems to have a few problems the TTTT90 format didn't have.  Since as far as I could tell, everybody had to tell the truth, it seems as if there'd have to be more judgment on the part of the host as to disallowing certain questions -- you can't just ask a contestant, \"Are you the Mother Superior?\".  On TTTT, you could do this simply because the civilian was expected to lie about the false premise, as well as imposters in the regular game.  If they were regularly to get celebs interested in playing the game and not promoting themselves, I don't think it would be any worse than a lot of other latter-day game shows.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Brandon Brooks

Can You Tell
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2003, 10:19:25 PM »
I've seen it.  It's boring as hell.  Why?

1.  The \"celebrities\" aren't funny, but they try their damnedest to be.
2.  No one appears to win or lose.
3.  The host, who's name I don't know nor have I ever heard of, has the personality of zwieback.

However, the Sunday Night Sex Show's pretty good.  Other than that, and maybe a rerun of A Different World, there's nothing there for me.

Brandon Brooks

vtown7

Can You Tell
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2003, 10:31:05 PM »
However, the Sunday Night Sex Show's pretty good. Other than that, and maybe a rerun of A Different World, there's nothing there for me.

Is that Sunday night the show with Sue johansen?  If so, she came to my university during my frosh week back in '97.  She's not scared of any questions, that's for sure!

Cheers,

Ryan V.

Fedya

Can You Tell
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2003, 10:42:30 PM »
Brandon Brooks wrote:
However, the Sunday Night Sex Show's pretty good. Other than that, and maybe a rerun of A Different World, there's nothing there for me.

Well, they've had some of the Hitchcock movies, and I even got to see The Stepford Wives thanks to Oxygen.  :-)

As I said, I was flipping through channels on the on-screen guide, and saw the show listed as a game show, so I figured I'd watch.

You may be right about the host, as well as the \"celebrities\" (the latter of course being a major problem with TTTT2k), but on panel shows, is it really a big deal whether the civilians win or lose?

Brandon Brooks

Can You Tell
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2003, 10:55:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Jul 6 2003, 09:42 PM\'] You may be right about the host, as well as the "celebrities" (the latter of course being a major problem with TTTT2k), but on panel shows, is it really a big deal whether the civilians win or lose? [/quote]
 Good point.  But if the show has little else going for it, the fact that it doesn't matter makes the game even dumber.

Brandon Brooks

Matt Ottinger

Can You Tell
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2003, 11:55:32 PM »
This almost makes me glad I don't get Oxygen.  Without going into a huge rant (hey, check out the thing about WML? in another thread -- or in almost any thread about panel games in the last ten years), let me just say that I don't think my blood pressure could take seeing another panel game done poorly.

When I long for the days of \"Everything's Relative\", something is definitely wrong.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

byrd62

Can You Tell
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 06:04:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jul 6 2003, 09:19 PM\']3.  The host, who's name I don't know nor have I ever heard of, has the personality of zwieback.

[/quote]
I have seen parts of a few of these episodes.  The host, by the way, is Tony Rock.  If you think he looks familiar, it's because he looks like his more famous brother, Chris Rock.  Both are comedians.  [OT:  Chris will host the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards late next month.]  I don't know if Tony's as bad as zwieback, but you could be right.

\"Can You Tell?\" also has a female announcer/on-camera sidekick, whose name I haven't yet caught.

According to Oxygen's website, the show uses up-and-coming comedians for panelists.

Michael Klinghoffer, who co-created Nickelodeon's Double Dare, is executive producer along with former t***-s*** producer Roni Selig.  Another Nick Double Dare alumnus, Dana Calderwood, is the director.

Oxygen aired a marathon over the weekend; the show currently airs weeknights 7:30 pm /6:30 central.

MikeK

• Martha!
Can You Tell
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2003, 06:38:53 PM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'Jul 7 2003, 05:04 PM\'] "Can You Tell?" also has a female announcer/on-camera sidekick, whose name I haven't yet caught.

Oxygen aired a marathon over the weekend; the show currently airs weeknights 7:30 pm /6:30 central. [/quote]
 Since I have absolutely no taste and because there's nothing else on late at night, I can fill in some of the gaps.

Two different announcers/sidekicks have been used.  The blonde announcer (kinda cute, IMHO) is Jenn Colella.  I haven't caught the name of the other announcer.

CYT also airs at Midnight and 1:30 AM Eastern.

I need to get out more often...

ilb4ever2000

Can You Tell
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2003, 06:39:11 PM »
Michael Klinghoffer, who co-created Nickelodeon's Double Dare, is executive producer along with former t***-s*** producer Roni Selig. Another Nick Double Dare alumnus, Dana Calderwood, is the director.

Why must we continue to harbor anger towards talk shows?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Can You Tell
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2003, 07:07:15 PM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Jul 7 2003, 03:39 PM\'] Why must we continue to harbor anger towards talk shows? [/quote]
 1) They pretty much unilaterally suck.

2) It's a better running gag around here than Donegan's idiotic jokes.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Fedya

Can You Tell
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2003, 09:48:35 PM »
Master of the Quizbusters Matt Ottinger wrote:
This almost makes me glad I don't get Oxygen. Without going into a huge rant (hey, check out the thing about WML? in another thread -- or in almost any thread about panel games in the last ten years), let me just say that I don't think my blood pressure could take seeing another panel game done poorly.

Look on the bright side: The panelists weren't voting each other off after each segment.

Ted ducks
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 09:49:25 PM by Fedya »

Tetsujin Chico

Can You Tell
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2003, 04:33:16 PM »
Two different announcers/sidekicks have been used. The blonde announcer (kinda cute, IMHO) is Jenn Colella. I haven't caught the name of the other announcer.

The second announcer (and arguably the least desired personality and cuteness-wise, at least IMHO) is named Nyle. And I only know this because I have to cover it every night.

Please don't judge me =p

~C

ChuckNet

Can You Tell
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2003, 06:51:58 PM »
2) It's a better running gag around here than Donegan's idiotic jokes.

Thanks for your support. :-D But I see no reason to censor the words TALK SHOW...those asterisks, as ATGS old-timer Steve Leblang once said, look downright juvenile.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")