Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Howard Felsher  (Read 29120 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Howard Felsher
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2015, 10:20:42 PM »
I think that Match Game, for what it became, allowed for bad answers to be called out by Gene. I mean, the audience would absolutely devour a contestant or celebrity for a bad answer. Plus, with its popularity, most contestants knew what they were walking into when they got on to the show. I don't think it's entirely fair to call Gene out and not mention how the atmosphere fostered such an attitude that was encouraged.
Imagine a contestant on You Bet Your Life writing a newspaper article (remember those?) about how she didn't realize that Groucho Marx was going to poke merciless fun at her job, hobbies and foibles. It's a known commodity at that point. Any contestant on Match Game '75 or later had to know what she was in for because the show was on for two years and it gradually became Gene Rayburn's comedy circus. Family Feud had funny moments but it was nowhere near the same thing.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2015, 11:22:23 PM »
Any contestant on Match Game '75 or later had to know what she was in for because the show was on for two years and it gradually became Gene Rayburn's comedy circus. Family Feud had funny moments but it was nowhere near the same thing.
I never had issues with Gene's mocking of answers...they always seemed to be gentle ribbing, even with the sarcastic examples James cited. That said, I give him credit for not undermining his producers' authority the way Richard did.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

bpatrick

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2015, 10:28:14 AM »
I can't speak for the reaction of "Match Game" contestants, especially when the audience would boo an answer that wasn't raunchy enough, nor can I speak for "Feud" contestants on the receiving end of Dawson's putdowns (and I want to add that the thing I posted about Dawson's response to a couple of advertisers' protests about a tasteless remark he made about Henry Kissinger in which I said, roughly, "guess you can do that when you're the number-one daytime show," was intended as sarcasm directed at Dawson).  What ticked Dawson off would be a question like this: Name a country in Europe; top six answers on the board.  The family gets England, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, then blanks on the sixth one.  Somebody says "Denmark."  Dawson knows that's a country in Europe, and while it's a little out of left field, it's still a valid answer that, in my example, just didn't make the survey.  But if the same person says "Japan," Dawson might suggest the hapless player go back to school and relearn geography.  That might have seemed fresh at first (an emcee who lets a contestant know when a wrong answer is twenty miles off the track) but I think it got to be a turn-off after a time.

As for Groucho's contestants, they were always told beforehand not to get mad if he said anything; it was all in fun.  The people no doubt knew Groucho's character from the movies and those who didn't receive a mild putdown were usually disappointed.  But even Groucho once said he had to draw the line.  George Fenneman and, before him, Margaret Dumont, were pros and almost like family to Groucho.  But, Groucho once said, he had to watch what he said when the contestant was not in show business; there was always the chance they'd take it the wrong way.  Marion Pollock, who wrote the questions and stayed with the contestants to keep them relaxed before facing Groucho, once said that most would come offstage saying, "It wasn't so bad."

Another host who didn't mind injecting a little sarcasm was Bob Eubanks.  He once said he wished a husband on "The Newlywed Game" would take a swing at him, then leave and not come back.  Eubanks thought it would be funny to see four wives and three husbands onstage.

narzo

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2015, 06:55:49 PM »
I think that Match Game, for what it became, allowed for bad answers to be called out by Gene. I mean, the audience would absolutely devour a contestant or celebrity for a bad answer. Plus, with its popularity, most contestants knew what they were walking into when they got on to the show. I don't think it's entirely fair to call Gene out and not mention how the atmosphere fostered such an attitude that was encouraged.

valid point, the audience play a role.  But there were times he would mock it, only to have several stars provide a matching answer. 

HYHYBT

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2015, 06:48:32 PM »
Dawson and Felsher had an on-air set-to once over an answer a family gave which was a synonym for the answer that actually appeared on the board.  Felsher called them wrong; Dawson felt they were close enough to be counted right.  Finally Dawson said, "Either they'll be back on this show tomorrow or I won't."  Guess who won the argument.
Seems like if that made it to air, rather than being cut out, it says something. But during the time it took to read the rest of the thread, I've forgotten what.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages